Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
niko
I Run NY.
 
niko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 30,759
Default Giants 2007 vs. 2011 Coincidences...

In both years they lost bad games to Washington in Week 15 (22-10 vs. 23-10) but that's not the most of it...

In 2007, the Giants started the playoffs by easily beating an NFC South (Bucs) team. Then they beat the No. 1 seed (Cowboys) on the road. Then they beat the No. 2 seed (Packers) in the conference title game when the opponent turned it over in overtime (A Farve INT) and gave the Giants a short field and the Giants won on a Lawrence Tynes overtime field goal. Then they moved on to face the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

In 2011 let's see....
NFC South (Falcons) - we kicked their ass.
No.1 Seed defeated (Packers)
No.2 Seed defeated after turnover in OT via Field Goal by Tynes. (49ers)
Patriots in Super Bowl.

Just have to beat the Pats to complete the unlikely chain of events a second time.


Last edited by niko : 01-23-2012 at 11:23 PM.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
Sarcastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: #KnicksTank
Posts: 22,684
Default Re: Giants 2007 vs. 2011 Coincidences...

We lost 38-35 at home both times to an undefeated team (2007 Pats/2011 GB). Both were moral victories though, and showed the team that they can compete with the big boys.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox
 
ballinhun8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ehhhh, BANDWAGON BOSTON
Posts: 4,762
Default Re: Giants 2007 vs. 2011 Coincidences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
In both years they lost bad games to Washington in Week 15 (22-10 vs. 23-10) but that's not the most of it...

In 2007, the Giants started the playoffs by easily beating an NFC South (Bucs) team. Then they beat the No. 1 seed (Cowboys) on the road. Then they beat the No. 2 seed (Packers) in the conference title game when the opponent turned it over in overtime (A Farve INT) and gave the Giants a short field and the Giants won on a Lawrence Tynes overtime field goal. Then they moved on to face the Patriots in the Super Bowl.

In 2011 let's see....
NFC South (Falcons) - we kicked their ass.
No.1 Seed defeated (Packers)
No.2 Seed defeated after turnover in OT via Field Goal by Tynes. (49ers)
Patriots in Super Bowl.

Just have to beat the Pats to complete the unlikely chain of events a second time. And note: Both years we were the road team in every game, including the Super Bowl (where it doesn't count but we are designated the road team).




The Giants were at home against Atlanta. Weird cuz I remember Eli losing his last couple home playoff games.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #4
DMV2
NBA Stats Watcher
 
DMV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10,487
Default Re: Giants 2007 vs. 2011 Coincidences...

The conference title games were similar.

- Giants winning the NFC title game on the road (under nasty weather conditions) in overtime on a field goal. 23-20 OT win Green Bay in 2007 season; 20-17 OT win over San Fran in 2011 season.

- Patriots winning the AFC title game at home by single digit. 21-12 win over Chargers in 2007 season; 23-20 win over Ravens in 2011 season.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
Heavincent
7-time NBA All-Star
 
Heavincent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 12,393
Default Re: Giants 2007 vs. 2011 Coincidences...

Another note here: The Giants played the AFC East in 07...just like they did in 2011.
Heavincent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #6
bagelred
Weird
 
bagelred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 29,328
Default Re: Giants 2007 vs. 2011 Coincidences...

Hmmmmmmm.........I wonder if the Giants backup wide receiver Tavid Dyree will see any time.........could be interesting.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
niko
I Run NY.
 
niko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 30,759
Default Re: Giants 2007 vs. 2011 Coincidences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
The Giants were at home against Atlanta. Weird cuz I remember Eli losing his last couple home playoff games.
Corrected. Yes, before this year we never won a playoff game in any other year with Eli, and some of them were home games.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #8
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: the land of the free
Posts: 3,804
Default Re: Giants 2007 vs. 2011 Coincidences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Hmmmmmmm.........I wonder if the Giants backup wide receiver Tavid Dyree will see any time.........could be interesting.

it would be funny if it's Devin Thomas. He was the guy who recovered both fumbles in the championship game. Then he possibly catches the big pass?
leopoldstotch is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:33 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy