Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 08-22-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

Default PGS -- If you can play with your back to the basket , you can CREATE CREATE CREATE

Go to youtube and watch a video of Magic Johnson.. he's a PG who can turn his body with his back to the basket, and he makes fabulous passes from this position.

Ill be on a fastbreak or something... stop around the top of the key or top of the wing, start posting up Jordan/magic style.. and as soon as someone cuts BAM i got the dime. Ive been dropping mad dimes lately with this, also it saves you energy cuz you aint gotta AND 1 your way to a dime, just post up, watch keep your head up, and either spin off em and drive/hook, turn the corner and drive, or drop a nice dime.

watch magic NOW. using my hips and posting up as a PG from the top has changed my basketball life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-EPCcRRtLY this vid has magic posting up the GOAT a few times including a real nice and 1 off the drive

Last edited by Dizzle-2k7 : 08-22-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Default Re: PGS -- If you can play with your back to the basket , you can CREATE CREATE CREATE

You are definitely right. Kobe has really done the same thing as he has got older... Magic did this a lot more in the 91 finals... He would come down and post up Jordan or Pippen seemingly half the time from the 3 point line... well more just play with his back to the basket not post them up (which he would do too). And yea it saves energy, but if your not that quick, spinning off your defender or using hesitation moves with you back to the basket are great ways to get space... and yes you can see the whole floor, cutters, and those screens that the Lakers set when Magic had his back to the basket, those were very effective. this is pretty much the way I am trying to play these days. I hardly play because of knee and other body part pain, but this is the sort of stuff I practice on my own at my own pace trying to master is. the cool thing is, you can still play this way when you are 45 and still be effective if you master it. It's a crafty man's way of playing ;)
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Default Re: PGS -- If you can play with your back to the basket , you can CREATE CREATE CREATE

Yeah that is true. But the biggest reason that Magic was so successful with posting up is because he drew double teams. That was what the Lakers' offense was predicated, being able to have either Magic, Worthy or Kareem doubled in the post. The Lakers were very good at ball movement as well so it really helped. Everyone knew where to be on the floor for when the double team came.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

I don't know about posting up on the fast break...but I love to post up in the half court.

If the floor spacing on my team is garbage, it's harder to create for others off the dribble. That's when posting up is great. Can do so much from there.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:40 AM   #5
magic14
I brick open layups

Lol Magic could do that because he was giant for a point guard and could see over his defender. You can't expect players like Chris Paul and Derrick Rose to become better passers without even being able to see the court.
magic14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
percolator
I brick open layups

Gary Payton was great at this

Mark Jackson is another one

You don't have to be 6-9 like Magic to play this way
percolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:12 PM   #7
Darkess
High School Varsity 12th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by percolator
Gary Payton was great at this

Mark Jackson is another one

You don't have to be 6-9 like Magic to play this way

Mark Jackson was also a frustrating PG to watch because his back was always to the basket. When your back is to the basket you're waiting on someone else to move and your motion is nearly stopped, while if you face the basket you have options.

Playing with your back to the basket can work as a PG, but I'd much rather have my PG face the basket.

Mark Jackson got assists, but he could have facilitated the offense even more if he'd learned to turn around.
Darkess is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: