Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-03-2007, 11:40 PM   #16
shafir
I>You. Get over it.

shafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected postershafir is a pretty well-respected poster

Dont worry too much about changing your diet, but rather, eat three solid meals a day, and not many snacks between; you should also exercise regularly (and not like, 3 hours one day, ooo, i exercised alot yesterday, ill do only one today) keep a steady exercise schedule, and youll be fine. Also, before meals, drinks tons of water.

Last edited by shafir : 01-03-2007 at 11:50 PM.
shafir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:49 PM   #17
AndyDufrain
Can barely lace up my sneakers

AndyDufrain has an OK reputation so far
Default hmmm

Yeah a good and easy way to start would be to only drink water, skim milk, carbonated water (if you're having trouble getting off of soda), and maybe a glass of OJ in the morning.

Also, eat less carbs and more protein.
AndyDufrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #18
Hot Shot Rox
Decent playground baller

Hot Shot Rox has decent reputation

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate the advice. Fassion's right, its all mental, I just gotta keep my mind straight and hope for the best. What would you guys think a typical healthy meal thats consist low carbs and high protein would be? And what affect does drinking a lot of water before a meal do?
Hot Shot Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:17 AM   #19
gsxr1kryder
Decent playground baller

gsxr1kryder has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Shot Rox
Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate the advice. Fassion's right, its all mental, I just gotta keep my mind straight and hope for the best. What would you guys think a typical healthy meal thats consist low carbs and high protein would be? And what affect does drinking a lot of water before a meal do?

drinking the glass of water before a meal is supposed to make your stomach feel fuller, hence you won't feel the need to eat as much. I don't know about all the healthy eating/carbs/protein stuff. but as others have said, ALWAYS eat breakfast, it gets your metabolism started. and another big thing is cut down your portion sizes on meals, unless it's a vegetable or fruit, then there's really no need too. and don't go completely drastic changing your diet. this will cause you to have the urge to binge cause you're making such a big change. I've lost 12 lbs in 1 month, mostly by kicking the regular pop habit and eating smaller portions. I drink about 5-6 bottles of water a day, and haven't had a non-diet pop since Thanksgiving. been walking/jogging on the treadmill 45 min. a day as well.
gsxr1kryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:10 PM   #20
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionIssues
it's been 2 years since i've shed 35 lbs. any nutritionalist will tell you the same: eat 4 to 5 small meals in a 13-15 hour period...small portioned meals that's high in protien (i.e. chicken, fish, protien shakes or bars). stay away from grease! if not just indulge once in a blue moon. replace soda (even energy drinks) with water. my workout regiment included 30-40 min cardio 5-6 days/wk, 4 sets of any wieght train 4 days/wk, and slight abdominal work everynight before bedtime or anytime you like...it's all in the head, if you put your mind into it, it becomes second nature really fast.

This guys' exactly right. You keep saying you want to eat "3 square meals", but it's a proven fact that eating twice that many times a day and eating smaller portions speeds up your metabolism.

I've also heard, and this I can NOT prove, that it helps if you start with a huge breakfast, and then slowly make your meals smaller as the day goes on.

I can also tell you from experience that if you don't eat anything after 6 pm everyday you will probably lose weight, but I cannot tell you how healthy this is.

I don't know how poorly you eat either, but you can probably make pretty good headway just by adding extra exercise.

If you can get hold of a treadmill or exercise bike (or even just a jump rope) and do that activity for an hour in the morning, and then lift weights for an hour sometime before you go to bed, you will spread your workouts out over the day and get a maximum amount of performance. You can do this 3 times a week and you will see improvement.

This is what I intend to do as soon as I can find an exercise bike that I can afford.

I have foot problems, so any kind of running or anything stressful on my feet is out of the question. After I drop the weight, I think I will have more success, but until then I'm stuck where I'm at.

I had a surgery last year and during the recovery time I wasn't allowed to do anything strenuous, and due to the location of my surgery, I couldn't do much more than lay down on the couch or my bed, or sit down. I put on 20-25lbs during this time, and I was already probably 15 lbs over my normal weight from moving into an apartment (no place to work on cars, or play ball or any of the things I used to normally do).

Good Luck.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:53 PM   #21
KobeBalboa
Banned

KobeBalboa has an OK reputation so far

Actually you should eat about 5 times a day. Make it 5 times a day but have it in small meals. And of course, watch what you eat.
KobeBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #22
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Shot Rox
Thanks, my diet probably kills me the most. I know how important it is to eat 3 meals a day but I just don't do it. I usually drink a cup of juice in the morning and not eat anything but small snaks till around 5 or 6 when I eat a big meal. Thats probably something i REALLY need to work on. So yeah I'm going to start eatin 3x, shorten the quantity, and raise the nutrition quality. And what kind of light workouts do u suggest?

Dude you gotta eat a good breakfast, if anything make breakfast you're biggest meal. It may sound crazy, but you lose weight if you eat more times a day. If you have 5-6 smaller meals, it speeds up your metabolism. Unless you're running mad miles like the Army, 3 squares a day won't help you out.

And you gotta count the calories. Look at the back of package and see what you're putting into your body. I'm working on my weight too, but I'm 5'9", 280, trying to get down to the 200 range. It can be done, though.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:33 PM   #23
LongBeachLakers
Local High School Star

LongBeachLakers has an OK reputation so far

What would be considered a small meal? under 400 calories? A Cup of Ramen noodles?
LongBeachLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:36 PM   #24
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachLakers
What would be considered a small meal? under 400 calories? A Cup of Ramen noodles?

Depends on your current calorie intake and body type. Obviously a bigger guy is going to take more calories to keep going, but not an excessive amount. (bigger meaning muscle and height)

If you're currently consuming 4000 calories per day, a breakfast right now might be 1500 calories (if you're doing the three meal thing), which is major excessive. But if you're on a 2000 calorie per day diet currently then a small breakfast might be closer to 400.

The key is to look at what you're eating now and cut that down, or else increase your exercise level to burn the extra calories.

Unfortunately it's often hard to calculate your current calorie intake if your diet is diverse and unbalanced. It's often better to keep a calorie log of what you're eating, and use that for comparison. Then drop the calories or up the workout.

But that's just one way of doing it. You don't have to count calories to know you're eating healthier. You don't have to count calories to know what you have to do to increase your activity.

But you SHOULD look at calories when you're shopping. Some of the stuff you think is healthy is actually not.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 01-04-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:33 PM   #25
Hot Shot Rox
Decent playground baller

Hot Shot Rox has decent reputation

Thanks for clarifying all that Mathius, because I never really understood how your metabolism works. I'll take everyone's word on eating 5-6 meals with small portions. I also never paid attention to what food I buy, its usually but food on price, but I realize now how important it is to keep track of calories. As for breakfast and other foods, should i totally stay away from fried food, like fried eggs, seafood etc?
Hot Shot Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #26
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

cardio in the morning helps, do it before breakfast, you'll burn the most fat this way
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:54 PM   #27
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

SupermanOnSteroids is starting to rub some people the wrong waySupermanOnSteroids is starting to rub some people the wrong way

dude, a healthy diet and ramen noodles dont belong in the same sentence.
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:16 PM   #28
LongBeachLakers
Local High School Star

Aw man, I don't think I'll be able to keep up with my 1500 calories a day diet. My brother just bought this delicious looking chicken, and I'm craving it like crazy. Damn.... What should I do?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:18 PM   #29
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

SupermanOnSteroids is starting to rub some people the wrong waySupermanOnSteroids is starting to rub some people the wrong way

eat little and slow. instead of finishing it all at one sitting, finish it in 2.
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #30
LongBeachLakers
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupermanOnSteroids
eat little and slow. instead of finishing it all at one sitting, finish it in 2.

How much should I eat? Wings? thigh? It's a full chicken.... should eat a thigh?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: