Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #31
Hot Shot Rox
Decent playground baller

Hot Shot Rox has decent reputation

How many calories you think is in a chicken thigh?
Hot Shot Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:24 PM   #32
LongBeachLakers
Local High School Star

LongBeachLakers has an OK reputation so far

I have no idea, but the full chicken weighs around 2 pounds, atleast that's what it says on the bag.
LongBeachLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #33
Hot Shot Rox
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Shot Rox
How many calories you think is in a chicken thigh?

http://www.calorie-count.com/calories/item/5093.html

It doesn't really mean anything cause it's determined on how its cooked.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #34
SupermanOnSteroids
Local High School Star

SupermanOnSteroids has an OK reputation so far

http://www.calorie-count.com/
SupermanOnSteroids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #35
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying all that Mathius, because I never really understood how your metabolism works. I'll take everyone's word on eating 5-6 meals with small portions. I also never paid attention to what food I buy, its usually but food on price, but I realize now how important it is to keep track of calories. As for breakfast and other foods, should i totally stay away from fried food, like fried eggs, seafood etc?

If you want eggs, just eat the egg whites, not the yolks, or if you're too lazy you can buy "egg beaters" but they're a bit more expensive than regular eggs.

Stay away from anything fried. Seafood should be safe, but pay attention to what you're eating it with. Tartar sauce, cocktail sauce, even mayonaise may bite you in the ass in the calorie and fat contents. You'd be surprised how bad most condiments are for you. Stick with Mustard. 0 Fat, 0 calories.

I went on a fast food diet back when I was 21-22 years old. I lost 17 lbs and still allowed myself to eat out. When I went to Taco Bell, I got chicken soft tacos without cheese. When I went to McDonalds I got grilled chicken, or one of those yogurt things they used to have. When I went to Subway, I'd get my sandwich on wheat, Turkey with mustard. I have to admit it gets old eating the same things all the time though.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #36
LongBeachLakers
Local High School Star

LongBeachLakers has an OK reputation so far

chicken thigh is only 100 calories? I'll add another 50 calories since it looks kind of juicy. So today I've ate around 750 calories.... so that's gonna be another 150 calories.... I might eat 2 thighs....
LongBeachLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:34 AM   #37
iMakeITrain
I airball my layups

iMakeITrain has an OK reputation so far

less junk food. eat more frequently and more healthy, but in smaller quantities.. aerobic exercise.
RUN IT!
iMakeITrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:42 PM   #38
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

Has anyone tried or heard of weight watchers? It seems pretty good because it allows you to eat anything you want but its very limited.

I am 340 pounds so I can eat 33 points a day or 1650 calories, You can earn extra points by excersing.

So I am gonna eat 5 times times a day, 6 points each time with 3 points to add where I please.

Because right now my diet is god awful, I dont eat breakfast and never have, I will have to force myself to eat breakfast.

But thanks to all the people who has posted in this thread, some good ideas and suggestions.

Last edited by Howard5Dirk41 : 01-31-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #39
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying all that Mathius, because I never really understood how your metabolism works. I'll take everyone's word on eating 5-6 meals with small portions. I also never paid attention to what food I buy, its usually but food on price, but I realize now how important it is to keep track of calories. As for breakfast and other foods, should i totally stay away from fried food, like fried eggs, seafood etc?

I've read in a fitness magazine that says try reserving 100-200 calories each day for whatever it is you want for a snack. The Abs Power Diet Guide suggests having one meal per week where you could eat whatever, the Body for Life diet suggest a whole day. Which ever one works for you, but this way you won't have cravings to pig out.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #40
heavensdevil
Michael Lee

heavensdevil has an OK reputation so far
Default re

great thead. Trying to lose around 30 pounds in 4 months or so... any more advice?
heavensdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #41
Hot Shot Rox
Decent playground baller

Hey guys, its been a week since i started, and the results are amazing. I've been listening to you all . I try to eat 4-5 meals everyday. I eat breakfast at 8 30 and I don't eat till 2 because of school. After 2, I eat small portion meals every 2 hours. I have given up all sodas, sweets and fast foods. I drink about 6 large glasses of water everyday. Around 5 p.m. I go to the gym and run either 1 or 2 miles and some other workouts. It's working really good. I even went to Chili's with my friends and ordered a Triple Play starter and didn't hurt me that bad. It's all mental you just gotta stick with it, and hopefully i can keep it up.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #42
ILuvThisGame
My Swag is Phenomenal

ILuvThisGame has an OK reputation so far

I was in the same position as you, in March i weighed 220 and as of yesterday i was 176. I never have eaten breakfast like you said you don't but i never found that to be a problem.
All I did was eat foods high in protein and lots of fruits and vegetables.....
You can eat before you go to bed just not high calorie foods or foods high in carbohydrates. Because your body burns calories while you are sleeping but often stores those carboydrates and burns them last.

When you eat carbs try to stay away from complex carbs, if you eat a sandwich use whole grain bread.... anything that says ENRICHED stay away from, your body stores that as fat as soon as you eat it.

Try and eat smaller portions but eat more often, counting calories is pointless unless you just sit on your butt all day. Get hungry eat an apple or a tuna sandwich (without the pound of mayo) or something. I use to eat lunch dinner like a pig at a trough but I found that it was pretty easy to cut down how much I ate as long as I could snack whenever I felt a little hungry.
ILuvThisGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:01 PM   #43
Hot Shot Rox
Decent playground baller

I can eat fruits and vegetables all day. Are these the only foods i should eat how ever much i want to? Cause really, i can go through the whole day just eating lots n lots of fruit.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:40 AM   #44
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachLakers
I have no idea, but the full chicken weighs around 2 pounds, atleast that's what it says on the bag.

A gram of protein = 4 calories

Chicken thigh is hard to decipher because of the fat content.
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 05:44 AM   #45
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
I can eat fruits and vegetables all day. Are these the only foods i should eat how ever much i want to? Cause really, i can go through the whole day just eating lots n lots of fruit.

No, don't do that because you're going to fall into the trap of unbalancing your diet. You still have to eat some meat. Try to stick to lean meats if you're that concerned about it. Poultry or fish. Just make sure you cook it properly. Grilled, not fried or baked.

Sounds like you're getting some results already, just don't get discouraged and stick to it to get your goal. It's not uncommon to show results right away, but you're going to find that after a while it's going to get harder. Your body will adjust and you won't see as big of gains. Then you either have to be patient, or step up your workouts. Just don't get discouraged.

I have a friend who refuses to acknowledge the word "diet". She says it isn't a diet change, it's a lifestyle change, and she's right. If you just go on a diet to lose what you want, but then go right back to doing the things you did before, you're gonna pack the pounds back on. You need to find a routine you're comfortable with, so you're able to maintain when this is all over.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: