Mavs notes after beating the Sonics on Jan 2
· With the win tonight, the Mavericks lead the season series against Seattle 2-0 and have now won eight straight over the Sonics. Seattle has scored below 100 points in each of its last eight meetings vs. Dallas.
· The Mavericks extend their win streak to 11 games, which is tied for the fourth longest in team history. Dallas has also won eight straight at home and 15 of the last 16.
· Dirk Nowitzki scored a game-high 31 points in just 34 minutes of play tonight. It is the first time since 11/24 at San Antonio that he topped 30 points. Dallas is now 5-0 when he scores 30 or more this season.
· Dirk Nowitzki grabbed a season-high 15 rebounds tonight. He now has 19 double-doubles this season after not recording his 19th until 53 games into last season.
· Josh Howard scored 21 points tonight. He has now scored 20+ points in 11 of the past 18 games and is averaging 20.6 points per game during that span.
· The Sonics scored just 88 points tonight. Dallas has held its last three opponents below 90 points and its last 10 below 100. The Mavericks are 13-0 when holding their opponent below 90 points this season after going 32-2 in 2005-06.
· Dallas outrebounded Seattle 58-30 tonight. The Mavericks almost had as many offensive rebounds (season-high tying 21) as the Sonics had defensive rebounds (22). Dallas has outrebounded its opponent by 10 or more in each of the past two games and 12 times overall this season (12-0 mark).
· New “Old” Ball stat of the night: Ray Allen came into this season a career 39.9% shooter from 3-point range but was shooting just 32.1% from behind-the-arc this season with the old “new” ball. Tonight he shot 5-of-8 from downtown. Josh Howard entered tonight shooting 43.3% from 3-point range but shot just 0-of-5 tonight.
· Jason Terry hit four three-pointers tonight. The Mavericks improve to 8-0 when he has 4+ 3FGM this season (12-0 in 2005-06) and 18-2 when he has two or more (40-13 in 2005-06).
· Dallas MADE 34 free throws tonight while Seattle ATTEMPTED just 25. The Mavericks improve to 8-2 when having as many or more FTM as their opponent has FTA (25-4 in 2005-06)
· The Mavericks have now scored 30+ points in the first quarter 15 times this season (13-2 mark) after doing so just 12 times in all of 2005-06 (10-2 mark).