Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 12-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #46
D.J.
College superstar

Default Re: Adrian Peterson tears ACL, needs reconstructive surgery

People seem tobe writing AP's injury as "nothing serious, he'll bounce back". First off, even with the advancement of medical technology, a torn ACL is still a serious injury. Guys have had their careers ended over torn ACL's. Second, AP tore his MCL in addition to his ACL. He tore 2 major knee ligaments at the same time. Third, the position he plays requires speed and agility. He won't be as explosive as he was. He can come back and still be effective, but that won't be for some time(assuming he does).
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:48 PM   #47
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J.
People seem tobe writing AP's injury as "nothing serious, he'll bounce back". First off, even with the advancement of medical technology, a torn ACL is still a serious injury. Guys have had their careers ended over torn ACL's. Second, AP tore his MCL in addition to his ACL. He tore 2 major knee ligaments at the same time. Third, the position he plays requires speed and agility. He won't be as explosive as he was. He can come back and still be effective, but that won't be for some time(assuming he does).
All im reading from people is "career over"...I'm the only optimist here I think
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:54 PM   #48
D.J.
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
All im reading from people is "career over"...I'm the only optimist here I think

Guys in the past that tore both ligaments simultaneously didn't exactly bounce right back. There's reason not to be optimistic.
Old 12-25-2011, 09:31 PM   #49
-playmaker-
-retired ISH HOFer-

Quote:
Guys in the past that tore both ligaments simultaneously didn't exactly bounce right back. There's reason not to be optimistic.
1. They weren't AD

2. ACL surgury is 100x more advanced
-playmaker- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:06 PM   #50
D.J.
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by -playmaker-
1. They weren't AD

Nor are they AP.

Quote:
2. ACL surgury is 100x more advanced

More advanced doesn't mean a simple surgery. 2 of the major ligaments in his knee are completely torn. It's one thing to tear just your ACL or just your MCL. He completely tore both.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #51
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Even if this injury hadn't happened, he has still reached a stage in his career where wear/tear was going to become a concern soon. He's been a workhorse back.

The stats were already in a slow decline.

Even with just one of these injuries, it was bound to be a tough road ahead for him, let alone two. He can still come back and be a solid contributor, but I think his days of being one of the top stars in the league is sadly over.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #52
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l

i can see playmaker's points. I am optimistic about Peterson's comeback from this injury in the next 9 to 12 months. however, i don't see him making the same cuts or breakout speed like he did.

This was the same for McGahee before he got hurt in that BCS championship game. he was a beast with Miami before the injury. After the injury, he showed some signs, but wasn't the same back. He was able to come back successfully, but he really did need to make an adjustment in the type of running back he was 8 years ago.
leopoldstotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:10 PM   #53
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Culpepper suffered a devasting knee injury and was never the same. Unfortunately some idiot fans think it had nothing to do with him as a QB. You couldnt tell idiot fans that Culpepper injury effected his performance. I mean guys like Sam Bradford get passes for injuries. Culpepper? Nah.

I also remember telling idiot fans you cant put Adrian Peterson in the HOF so early because anything can happen tomorrow. I specifically mentioned injury and they wouldnt listen. Like talking to a brick wall. If Peterson career was over today? He is standing behind Terrell Davis.

As a fan I'm rooting for Peterson to return. Really sucks this happened to him.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:23 PM   #54
D.J.
College superstar

The three posters above me are spot on. If Peterson could never play again or was only a shadow of his former self, he's on the same level as Terrell Davis. HOF calibur talent and certainly on that path, but just not around for long enough. You can point to the advancement of technology all you want, the odds are not in AP's favor.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #55
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l

Quote:
The three posters above me are spot on. If Peterson could never play again or was only a shadow of his former self, he's on the same level as Terrell Davis. HOF calibur talent and certainly on that path, but just not around for long enough. You can point to the advancement of technology all you want, the odds are not in AP's favor.

i think this should all boil down to how much AP changes his game style after his operations. This is a huge obstacle for football players who are forced to change because of an injury. Sometimes it pays off, but most of the time, it really turns them into a mediocre running back who is nothing more than an after thought.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #56
D.J.
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopoldstotch
i think this should all boil down to how much AP changes his game style after his operations. This is a huge obstacle for football players who are forced to change because of an injury. Sometimes it pays off, but most of the time, it really turns them into a mediocre running back who is nothing more than an after thought.

He'll have no choice but to change his style. AP is known for his freakish agility and explosiveness. He's also a very smart player, so I think he can adapt. But we're likely not going to see any near 1,500 yard rushing seasons again.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #57
leopoldstotch
Book 'em Dan'l

one exception to the running back ACL injury is frank gore. He tore his in 2002 with Miami, and is now a pretty good running back with the 49ers. He doesn't have that breakout speed he did as a freshman, but he was able to adapt himself to a new style.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:46 PM   #58
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Yeah what made Peterson different is his explosiveness, agility to cut back kick it into gear and take off. Like DJ mention the guy is a freak. There have been Rbs who today are productive after knee injuries. Frank Gore as mentioned, Willis Mcgahee. But neither are Rbs you mention as the best in the NFL. Neither you sit and anticipate greatness from a run. No knock on them because they are productive Rbs but the reason Peterson was better is most likely going to be lost after this injury.

And what advanced technology is there today? Post articles, cite players. Something, you cant just throw that term out there and think it sticks. I'd like to read up on tearing your ACL, MCL and how there is a procedure that repairs and makes them even stronger than before they were torn so you dont lose what you once had. Otherwise we're talkin about hope, faith. Wait, its primetime. Disregard this. No wonder.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:03 PM   #59
northwinds
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Even if this injury hadn't happened, he has still reached a stage in his career where wear/tear was going to become a concern soon. He's been a workhorse back.

The stats were already in a slow decline.

Even with just one of these injuries, it was bound to be a tough road ahead for him, let alone two. He can still come back and be a solid contributor, but I think his days of being one of the top stars in the league is sadly over.

Yep, the shelf life of an NFL RB is pretty quick....his stats were declining and he knew it.....and didn't want to let Toby Gerhart get a shot....so he played hurt and the results were a disaster. Will the Vikings go into next season with Gerhart as their starter.....will be fun to watch...........especially when they have Vikings "fans" posting on their forums that Toby "runs like Fred Flintstone"........
northwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #60
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Not to make light of this situation at all, but glad I picked up Toby in fantasy a few weeks ago, he's been putting up pretty good stats when AP's out.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: