Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-01-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
SourPatchKids
Banned

Default Trainspotting vs Requiem for a Dream

Which is the better movie and why?
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #2
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Default Re: Trainspotting vs Requiem for a Dream

tough to choose. Trainspotting has comedy going for it, so that's the direction i lean. but that also has to do with the fact that i never want to watch Requiem ever again and knew that as soon as i finished it the first time. it was a spectacular ride, but it wasn't a particularly enjoyable ride.

i think they're on par in terms of quality, both right around an 8 or a 9 on the ten point scale. but i'd choose Trainspotting to watch without a second's hesitation.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Trainspotting. Just personal preference though since Requiem was very good as well.

Trainspotting, to me, was the perfect dark comedy. It's full of energy (one of the best soundtracks), great individual scenes and some great performances. On one end you had the quiet and passive Spudd and on the other you had the hilariously over the top and insane Begbie. Then there's Ewan McGregor in the middle holding it all together.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
DMV2
NBA Stats Watcher

Trainspotting for me as well. It's one of those films you can watch over ands over again. That seems to be the effect of comedies(especially dark comedy) and action films moreso than dramas.

I have both films, and I think I've only watched Requiem three or four times total whereas Trainspotting I've pop that DVD in once or twice a year.
DMV2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:30 PM   #5
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Trainspotting no question.

Requiem for a Dream is a beautifully shot movie with painfully naive and faux-righteous writing. That movie is an insult to intelligent viewers everywhere.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Requiem for a Dream is a beautifully shot movie with painfully naive and faux-righteous writing. That movie is an insult to intelligent viewers everywhere.
you don't like Aranofsky, do you? i think i remember you trashing Pi and The Fountain as well. after reading your criticism, i sorta do want to rewatch it, if only to reaffirm what i originally thought. i understand what you're saying about the amateur hour writing, especially when he's trying to really explore his key themes... it comes off as pretentious without substance to back up the pretense. still, i think it's still better than a lot out there, he's a very ambitious filmmaker so you never really know what you're gonna get, and he's a terrific director.
RidonKs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

both movies did not live up to the hype at all, requiem not being as dark and depressing as everyone hypes it to be, trainspotting not being as funny as it's hyped to be.

Maybe for people who never did drugs these films are better
Nick Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
Trainspotting no question.

LAWL congratulations on insulting the writing Hubert Selby Jr, he's only the most critically loved American writer of the past century
Old 01-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #9
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
you don't like Aranofsky, do you? i think i remember you trashing Pi and The Fountain as well. after reading your criticism, i sorta do want to rewatch it, if only to reaffirm what i originally thought. i understand what you're saying about the amateur hour writing, especially when he's trying to really explore his key themes... it comes off as pretentious without substance to back up the pretense. still, i think it's still better than a lot out there, he's a very ambitious filmmaker so you never really know what you're gonna get, and he's a terrific director.

A good director, to me, should be able to tell the audience many things with just the images. And when the actual content of the entire movie boils down to maybe three lines, that is hard to do.

Requiem for a Dream... All the characters in this movie are decidedly flat characters. There is no real progression. Not only is every character flat, but every character is also essentially the same character. The story is the same for every character. The underlying message is of a simplistic moralism that you only expect out of the cheesiest Hollywood flicks.
And the worst vice of this movie is that it just bores me to no end.

I don't think I've ever really trashed any of Aronofsky's stuff after Pi or RFAD, because frankly I haven't been paying attention. Lost the taste. I've seen some of them, but not with any type of concentration or interest.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
A good director, to me, should be able to tell the audience many things with just the images. And when the actual content of the entire movie boils down to maybe three lines, that is hard to do.

Requiem for a Dream... All the characters in this movie are decidedly flat characters. There is no real progression. Not only is every character flat, but every character is also essentially the same character. The story is the same for every character. The underlying message is of a simplistic moralism that you only expect out of the cheesiest Hollywood flicks.
And the worst vice of this movie is that it just bores me to no end.

I don't think I've ever really trashed any of Aronofsky's stuff after Pi or RFAD, because frankly I haven't been paying attention. Lost the taste. I've seen some of them, but not with any type of concentration or interest.
Hubert Selby Jr actually lived and hanged out with these people. Aronofsky didn't write this move so much as lift the dialogue word for word from the book, he even worked with Selby Jr on the screen play!. Get the phuck out fool if you are going to insult an American legend like you are with baseless criticisms.

Last edited by Nick Young : 01-01-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
Hubert Selby Jr actually lived and hanged out with these people. Aronofsky didn't write this move so much as lift the dialogue word for word from the book. Get the phuck out fool if you are going to insult an American legend like you are with baseless criticisms.

If I hang around 4 extremely boring people who are coincidentally exactly the same I sure as hell would not write a story about that boring shit.

But hey, maybe the book actually good, I don't know. The movie adaptation is a piece shit, that I do know.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #12
Nick Young
WE THE PEOPLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
If I hang around 4 extremely boring people who are coincidentally exactly the same I sure as hell would not write a story about that boring shit.
That's because you have no creativity, drive, ambition and writing talent. The author himself was an addict
Old 01-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #13
Crystallas
Smile, you're on ISH

Two of my favorites. I rank Trainspotting higher.
Crystallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #14
LJJ
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Young
That's because you have no creativity, drive, ambition and writing talent. The author himself was an addict

Looks like me, you and mr. Selby have something in common then. At least on the creativity and the talent.

And might I add that this is exactly the story I expect out of someone who had the heroin eat half his brain away.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #15
BurningHammer
Burning Spirit!

Trainspotting OST >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
BurningHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: