Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-02-2012, 12:34 AM   #16
niko
I Run NY.

Default Re: Steelers are 12 - 4, but they are the #5 seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
And why is that?
So you would destroy the divsional races and the meanings of the division overally in order to rectify this situation? So you'd fix Pittsburgh, **** up everything else.

That's brilliant. You don't watch football do you?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #17
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

bagel ur a funny guy and ima let u finish...

but the steelers are the greatest franchise of all time. they dont need homefield or a bye. as a matter of fact, they won their last superbowl without needing a bye. i believe they were a #5 seed? or was it 6? one or the other
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #18
VishaltotheG
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
So you would destroy the divsional races and the meanings of the division overally in order to rectify this situation? So you'd fix Pittsburgh, **** up everything else.

What would get fucked up from getting rid of divisional races? It would just be like the NBA where a team with a better record gets the higher seed regardless of division. Just make it so that you can only play a certain team once in a season, even if they are divisional rivals. That will eliminate the possibility of weak teams from one division making the playoffs over a stronger team from another.
VishaltotheG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #19
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishaltotheG
What would get fucked up from getting rid of divisional races? It would just be like the NBA where a team with a better record gets the higher seed regardless of division. Just make it so that you can only play a certain team once in a season, even if they are divisional rivals. That will eliminate the possibility of weak teams from one division making the playoffs over a stronger team from another.

Divisions are meaningless in the NBA in comparison to the NFL.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:19 AM   #20
imdaman99
Knicks all da way

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
Divisions are meaningless in the NBA in comparison to the NFL.
exactly. there are no division rivalries in the nba. in the NFL they are usually the biggest games of the year.
imdaman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:20 AM   #21
DMV2
NBA Stats Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishaltotheG
That would make division games less meaningful. That's what separates the NFL and MLB from the NBA. They actually make teams care about winning their division in the regular season unlike the NBA.

Only way to get rid of the NFL division races is to let 16 teams into the playoffs instead of 12 with no bye round for the top two teams in each conference. MLB would have to expand 8 total teams to 16.

NFL regular season and playoffs works perfectly fine. Don't to fix it. For MLB, it'd nice if they increase it to a 12-team playoffs entry like the NFL, let the top 4 teams(2 in each "leagues") get a bye.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:23 AM   #22
DMV2
NBA Stats Watcher

LOL, the two posters above me beat me to it. I wrote more than I should.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #23
D.J.
College superstar

It may not be fair, but that's life. Nothing is guaranteed since the Saints lost in Seattle last year. You don't like it, learn how to beat Baltimore.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:15 AM   #24
scott0326
National High School Star

It is what it is, they essentially have a bye week anyway.
scott0326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:19 AM   #25
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
It's not retarded. I like that you have to win your division, it makes divisional games more important. They shouldn't be rewarded a higher seed if they couldn't win their division. They lost to the Ravens twice. Arguably their two biggest games of the year.
I concurrrr
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:22 AM   #26
Heavincent
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0326
It is what it is, they essentially have a bye week anyway.

Don't get too cocky. The Saints lost their first round bye last year.
Heavincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:29 AM   #27
Real Men Wear Green
Your ad here

The system isn't perfect, Pittsburgh does deserve t be the home team vs. Denver but it exists for a good reason. In the NBA, NHL and MLB you've got 82-162 games so there's plenty of opportunity to make everyone play everyone, the Celtics division only represents a fifth of the schedule in a normal 82-game season. Thus you can point at the record as proof that one team had a better season than another and be right the overwhelming majority of the time. In the NFL the team with the better record probably also had a better season but the Pats had 3/8ths of their season vs. divisional opponents and then another 3 games vs. the NFC East. So the teams on their schedule can be very different than the teams being played by some team in the AFC West. And it's not like Pittsburgh is being screwed, they're still in the playoffs. The only solutions would be to say that no team can play another team twice (which would hurt divisional rivalries), get rid of divisions (also obviously kills divisional rivalries) or massively extend the NFL season (now we're simply going to kill the players).
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 AM   #28
bagelred
Weird

Quote:

I think it's more important that deserving teams get better seedings. That's more important than divisional races. This way a teams' epic season isn't for waste because they just happen to be in same division as another great team.....like Browns/Bengals above.

HOWEVER, divisional rivalries/races, would still have importance, because.....

1. Only division winner is guaranteed a playoff spot, and
2. Division winner, obviously, would have a better seeding than the non division winner.

So 6 teams are same....4 division winners and 2 wild cards. But seeding is based on record, with any "ties" in records for seeding going to the division winner.

I think that's MUCH better. In my scenario above, wouldn't it be better for football fans to have Browns and Bengals as #1 and #2 seeds? Setting up atn epic AFC Championship game? I think so.

I watch plenty of football, but thanks for asking. (actually not as much as used to........).
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #29
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
I think it's more important that deserving teams get better seedings. That's more important than divisional races. This way a teams' epic season isn't for waste because they just happen to be in same division as another great team.....like Browns/Bengals above.

HOWEVER, divisional rivalries/races, would still have importance, because.....

1. Only division winner is guaranteed a playoff spot, and
2. Division winner, obviously, would have a better seeding than the non division winner.

So 6 teams are same....4 division winners and 2 wild cards. But seeding is based on record, with any "ties" in records for seeding going to the division winner.

I think that's MUCH better. In my scenario above, wouldn't it be better for football fans to have Browns and Bengals as #1 and #2 seeds? Setting up atn epic AFC Championship game? I think so.

I watch plenty of football, but thanks for asking. (actually not as much as used to........).
Clearly you don't watch as much football as you used to, this sounds like one of those ideas that sportswriters who don't like the games come up with. It works perfectly every year. BUT BUT, it wasn't totally fair to this one team one time. LETS CHANGE IT ALL!

Makes no sense.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 11:09 AM   #30
bagelred
Weird

Quote:
Clearly you don't watch as much football as you used to, this sounds like one of those ideas that sportswriters who don't like the games come up with.

What I'm suggesting isn't new. You're right, lots of sportswriters suggest it, because it makes sense. The seedings are obviously strange.

Quote:
It works perfectly every year.

What works perfectly? That sentence has no meaning. You mean people enjoy football so it works perfectly?

Sports leagues are always looking ways to make things fairer or better.

Quote:
BUT BUT, it wasn't totally fair to this one team one time. LETS CHANGE IT ALL!

It isn't one time. No, this happens EVERY SINGLE YEAR. EVERY YEAR the #5 seed has a better record than the #4 seed. Every single year. The #4 seed is the division winner who plays in the worst division, has an 8 - 8 record, and barely made the playoffs, but they get a home game against a team with a much better record? This happens EVERY YEAR and every year we just scratch our heads. It's silly.

Quote:
Makes no sense.

Believe it or not, sometimes change is better. Just because something's always been done one way doesn't mean its better or makes sense.

Makes all the sense in the world.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: