Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #31
DMV2
NBA Stats Watcher

Default Re: Steelers are 12 - 4, but they are the #5 seed

Oh, wow. I guess it's somewhat related. I just checked out to see the final standings and the Eagles were the only team with at least 5 division wins to not make the playoffs. Their shitty first half of the season and going 3-7 against non-divisional opponents ruined their season.

About 2 or 3 of their non-divisional opponents were shit teams too. Gotta beat those types of teams, if you're gonna dominate your division.

Last edited by DMV2 : 01-02-2012 at 08:09 PM.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #32
StateOfMind12
Banned

Broncos were 12-4, had the 2nd best record in the AFC, and were the #4 seed in 1997 since they didn't win their division. The Chiefs won that division and were 13-3, and keep in mind that back then there were only 3 divisions in each conference, not 4.

Well the Broncos ended up winning the Superbowl that season and in that playoff run. It is just the way it is. It's only bogus if a team that finishes like 11-5 or 12-4 and misses the playoffs because they didn't win their division. The Patriots in 2008 like someone mentioned earlier is the perfect example. It's not bogus if you are the #5 seed because you didn't win the division though.

Last edited by StateOfMind12 : 01-02-2012 at 07:40 PM.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #33
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

Win your games, and it's not an issue.

Lots of teams in history have made long runs, despite being a lower seed. If you are good you (like the cream) will always rise to the top.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #34
jazz873
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981

Lots of teams in history have made long runs, despite being a lower seed. If you are good you (like the cream) will always rise to the top.
This. The packers won the superbowl as the 6 seed.

However i think in situations like these the Steelers should at least be at home
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #35
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981

Exactly. I love the notion that they're "deserving", though they didn't accomplish what's required to earn the spot.

Seattle and Green Bay last year, Arizona three years ago. Plenty of those "undeserving" teams proved otherwise.

If they're so much better than other higher seeded teams, they'll prove it.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #36
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
This. The packers won the superbowl as the 6 seed.

However i think in situations like these the Steelers should at least be at home

Why? The rules are clear and the same for everyone.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #37
jazz873
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Why? The rules are clear and the same for everyone.
Why not? Division winners already get an automatic playoff spot.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #38
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Why not? Division winners already get an automatic playoff spot.

I don't understand your question. Pittsburgh isn't a division winner.

Last edited by JMT : 01-02-2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #39
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Clearly you don't watch as much football as you used to, this sounds like one of those ideas that sportswriters who don't like the games come up with. It works perfectly every year. BUT BUT, it wasn't totally fair to this one team one time. LETS CHANGE IT ALL!

Makes no sense.

WTF are you talking about? It doesn't work perfectly at all. It worked fine when there were only 3, but not 4. It was highlighted last season when a team with a losing record made the playoffs while two teams at 10-6 sat home. Even though the Seahawks won a playoff game last year, they had no business being in there. Records should be more important than stupid divisions. Divisional races are just window dressing. If your division sucks, then your divisonal games shouldn't mean much anyways and you shouldn't get a playoff spot. Why reward a team for being the least sucky of a sucky division? It's stupid, it's like the Big East still getting an AQ for a BCS bowl game. Hell, simply putting a qualifier that your division has to have at least 1 team without a losing record for it to qualify would be an improvement.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #40
bagelred
Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
WTF are you talking about? It doesn't work perfectly at all. It worked fine when there were only 3, but not 4. It was highlighted last season when a team with a losing record made the playoffs while two teams at 10-6 sat home. Even though the Seahawks won a playoff game last year, they had no business being in there. Records should be more important than stupid divisions. Divisional races are just window dressing. If your division sucks, then your divisonal games shouldn't mean much anyways and you shouldn't get a playoff spot. Why reward a team for being the least sucky of a sucky division? It's stupid, it's like the Big East still getting an AQ for a BCS bowl game. Hell, simply putting a qualifier that your division has to have at least 1 team without a losing record for it to qualify would be an improvement.

I mean, I don't even go that far, simply because.....What if all four teams in division are very good? You might have a worse record because of that....but I understand your point.

For me, I like it the same way it is....same 6 teams make playoffs. I just hate the seedings. There's no reason an 8 - 8 team could have a better seed than potentially a 15 - 1 team. That's the situation we currently have. That, to me, is ridiculous.

And for those saying "Well, if you are really a good team, seeding doesn't matter." That is just retarded, I'm sorry. It's ridiculous logic. The reason a team plays hard for 16 games is to make easier on themselves in the playoffs. That's the whole point. To earn yourself a better seed. "If you're a REAL man, seeding doesn't matter." Retarded. Yes we realize a team CAN get to Super Bowl on a bad seed, but if you earned a higher seed and an easier path, you should get it.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #41
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Yes we realize a team CAN get to Super Bowl on a bad seed, but if you earned a higher seed and an easier path, you should get it.

Right. But they didn't.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:31 PM   #42
Soothing Layup
High School Varsity 12th Man

Start a petition to give the Ravens their own division and this won't happen anymore. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Soothing Layup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:27 PM   #43
jazz873
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Right. But they didn't.
Yes, but they at least earned home field against the Broncos.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #44
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Yes, but they at least earned home field against the Broncos.

Nope. Wrong again. They earned a wild card spot, and those teams go on the road.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #45
jazz873
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
Nope. Wrong again. They earned a wild card spot, and those teams go on the road.
So i am assuming you were one of them who were okay with the 7-9 seahawks hosting the 11-5 saints?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: