Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Washington Wizards Forum

Washington Wizards Forum Washington Wizards forum - Washington Wizards message board

Old 01-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Wizards player and coach quotes after losing to Knicks Jan 6, 2012

WIZARDS HEAD COACH FLIP SAUNDERS

On the final play:
“We got the ball in John’s hand and he had been making plays for us. We turned down a shot and ended up with a worse shot.”

On the game:
“I thought we played well. We played hard. We played with good energy and they made some tough shots. We contested shots and they shot forty-three percent, so it’s not like they shot the lights out. I can’t fault the effort and I feel bad for our guys because of how hard they played and we were right there. We had opportunities on free-throw situations and we had the chance to get the last stop.”

On the team’s effort:
“It’s disappointing because we played hard, played with good energy and we could’ve folded when they came back but we didn’t. There were two big things that hurt us tonight - points off turnovers and we shot sixty-one percent from the free-throw line.”

On the team’s improvement:
“We got better in some areas but we also had a lot of turnovers. I feel bad for the guys as hard as they competed but we just have to lace it up tomorrow and come back on Sunday.”

On Carmelo Anthony:
“We put Chris (Singleton) in and he worked hard but Carmelo (Anthony) got his confidence going. It’s a prime example of just getting beat by an All-Pro player.”

WIZARDS FORWARD ANDRAY BLATCHE

On the fourth quarter:

“We played with a lot of heart, a lot of passion. Guys fought. We had the chance to win. We didn’t give up and we competed. That’s the kind of effort we got to have every game.”

On the team’s attitude after the game:

“I hope everyone’s attitude is positive right now. We came in and we fought. We were up and we had a chance to win. There were some minor mistakes, some minor turnovers, some missed shots, and they made some tough shots. As long as we have that effort every night, we should turn things around.”

WIZARDS GUARD JOHN WALL

On the game:
“This is the best we’ve played besides the two Celtics games. We competed down the stretch and played real hard, but you have to give them credit they made some big shots. We stayed positive and made a good comeback but it wasn’t enough to win the game.”

On the missed three-point shot:
“Andray (Blatche) penetrated and I had a wide open look. I just missed the shot. I could’ve penetrated and probably gotten a better shot.”

On the team’s effort:
“We did a good job trusting each other. We played hard, with good tempo and we didn’t get down on ourselves. Guys were playing with a lot of effort and good energy.”

WIZARDS GUARD NICK YOUNG

On the game:

“I felt good about the whole game. These are the type of situations that we should be in at the end of the game. We have an understanding of what it takes to be successful in this league. We fought hard, hopefully we can continue to play this way and get better every night. The team has responded in a positive manner from the team meeting“.

On teammates Chris Singleton and Trevor Booker:

“They bring great energy off the bench. They fight until the end of each game, and that’s big coming from two young players. They both stepped up to the big test of guarding Carmelo Anthony and never backed down.”

KNICKS HEAD COACH MIKE D'ANTONI
On the come-from-behind win:
“We did not hang our heads but obviously we were feeling a little bit of the pressure. We fought back. I thought we did some good things, but we still have a lot of work to do.”

On defending John Wall:
“We knew what he was going to do. He was going to be shot out of a cannon in transition and we just kept telling them to get back and turn around. These are things that we have to work on and we have to get better.”

On the possibility of the Wizards getting their first win over the Knicks:
“Well, I did not think we were thinking about the Wizards. We were thinking about ourselves. We have enough troubles going on, but it’s just one game. It’s going to be one of those years with a lot of games in a short period of time. It’s coming at us quick and everybody is going to be banged up and tired. The strongest are going to survive and you have to tough it out.”

KNICKS FORWARD CARMELO ANTHONY
On the game:
“It was a win. We needed this one. We started up slow in the first quarter and gave away 30 points. It is just us mentally getting back in the game, buckling down and playing defense.”

On playing near home:
“It’s always good to win when we are here, but most importantly for us, we have been struggling and lost a couple games on the road. We wanted to bounce back and this was a great way to do it.”

On the game:
“I wanted to take advantage of what they were doing. They put a bigger guy on me with Trevor Booker, but I felt like I could get in to some of my spots. My shots were falling for me tonight and I took advantage of that. It came down to that last three and fortunately I made it.”

On Wizards’ fast start:
“It caught us by surprise how fast they started out early in the game, for us to give up 30 points is unacceptable. We stuck with it, we kept our composure in the second quarter and we started trusting one another. It is something I have been talking about for the past weeks, and we took off from there.”

KNICKS FORWARD AMAR’E STOUDEMIRE
On the game:
“The second quarter was all about defense and stopping John Wall. He is a one-man fast break and we really had to contain him. That was a big quarter for us. It was a big game down the stretch and Carmelo (Anthony) really came through. We always look forward to that with him. We started off a little slow and we really need to learn from our mistakes, but we figured out what we were doing wrong and took control of the game.”

On the shortened season:
“It’s tough, but practice becomes really important as well as getting a lot of reps in. We have a lot of study sessions since the season is so compact. It’s hard to adjust, but we are making it happen. We just have to keep improving.”

KNICKS GUARD IMAN SHUMPERT
On the game:
“I’m always pretty comfortable on the court with my team but tonight we were really able to spread the floor and get the ball rolling. We tightened it up after the half. We realized that we weren’t playing with the energy and aggression that we usually have. Guys started making shots and we really came together to get the job done. As long as we play off of each other and keep our opponents thinking - we can keep our aggression going.”
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: