Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #16
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Am I reading this wrong or is Peyton going to be released?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
I think it's a terrible team and PR decision to just release him and let him go wherever. I do not think Irsay is dumb, so this is highly, highly improbable.

Team decison? Kind of depends on where Luck is a few years down the road. Odds are, even with Manning, they're not going from where they are now to a serious contender next year. So how much time do they believe he has left? Financially? It's the only move possible. You can't trade his contract.

PR? The NFL is almost bullet proof. Will fans stop buying tickets because of the move? Maybe, and those on the waiting list will grab them up as fast as they can.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Depending on how SF does in the playoffs with Smith, maybe he could go out there?

Smith resigned a 3 year deal midseason iirc. Dont thimk the niners will cut him and sign peyton....

Last edited by ALBballer : 01-03-2012 at 04:06 PM.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #18
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Let's go through the facts and see if i'm reading the tea leaves correctly.
-Polian was fired. Peyton's reaction was not positive.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/74...unned-decision
-Peyton is owed $28M in a signing bonus in march.
-Last time colts were drafting a "franchise changing QB" they replaced their GM.
-Irsay (am i getting the names right?) made a point that HE needed to make the decision this time because it was so important. It implied (at least to me) him and Polian were not of the same mind on this decision.
-And what would Polian have supported?

You can't trade Peyton, he gets paid too much to fit under a cap as is. He'd need a brand new from scratch contract.
I agree with your reading of the tea leaves. What I disagree with is Irsay's theoretical decision. Whatever the last day is before you have to decide whether or not you pay Manning, I would wait to see how/if Manning can throw and if he looks good you trade the pick for all the talent you were lacking why you only won a game or two. There is no such thing as a surefire prospect in the NFL, especially at QB, but Manning plus a revamped defense could get back into the Superbowl (or choke and play like a little girl with the game on the line but that's just my inner-hater talking).
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #19
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Depending on how SF does in the playoffs with Smith, maybe he could go out there?
I'd say that's more likely to happen with Denver and Tebow. I like Tebow but he's still raw.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #20
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputation

Odds are we won't be a contender? We have won 10 games with Manning for the last numerous years. We finally got some good young offensive lineman. Nice stable of running backs. Wideouts are good enough. Clark can still create mismatched. Nevis looks like a very nice DT we haven't had in years.

Freeney is still a monster. Angerer got some great experience this year that will carry over to next. We got the top pick in the second, third, fourth etc round of the draft this year, we can bring in even more talent.

We're good to go for another competitive year under Manning.

I can assure you that people in Indy will not be pleased to see management let go the one guy that embodies the Colts franchise for nothing either, especially when it makes zero sense to do it.

You can fit Luck and Manning under the cap even if you pay Manning the bonus. If it's deemed Manning is healthy enough to play (and it looks like thats becoming more certain every update we hear from Manning) then there is absolutely no reason not to sit Luck and have him learn all the ins and outs of the pro game and offense from one of the best, meanwhile still remaining competitive while Luck undergoes his learning experience.

It's be absolutely dumb not to give Luck the chance to learn from Manning, and put him directly into the fire from the get-go....and letting your franchise guy, the one who symbolizes this franchise, go for nothing and perhaps even come back to haunt you in future seasons.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #21
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Ye assuming Luck will sit behind Manning. I heard an audio bit of luck and he was asked if he would sit behind Manning and you can tell by luck's voice he wouldnt be too pleased with the idea. Luck could threaten to go back to school I guess....
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #22
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
It's be absolutely dumb not to give Luck the chance to learn from Manning, and put him directly into the fire from the get-go....and letting your franchise guy, the one who symbolizes this franchise, go for nothing and perhaps even come back to haunt you in future seasons.

I don't disagree. But when you're in a position to have Luck for a decade, or a Manning whose health is in question for who knows how long, a franchise has to separate emotiion and look at money and big picture.

Let's say Luck doesn't want to sit, and/or Manning doesn't want the spectre of Luck hanging over his shoulder. You really won't know what you have in Manning until live action begins and he gets hit. If he doesn't respond well, you get nothing for him and you're on the hook for a lot of money.

It's a tough spot for the franchise and it's fans. But it may be time to move on.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #23
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Manning said said publicly Luck deserves to start day 1 and it wouldnt be fair to him to sit behind him. I'll try and find the quote.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #24
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Odds are we won't be a contender? We have won 10 games with Manning for the last numerous years. We finally got some good young offensive lineman. Nice stable of running backs. Wideouts are good enough. Clark can still create mismatched. Nevis looks like a very nice DT we haven't had in years.

Freeney is still a monster. Angerer got some great experience this year that will carry over to next. We got the top pick in the second, third, fourth etc round of the draft this year, we can bring in even more talent.

We're good to go for another competitive year under Manning.

I can assure you that people in Indy will not be pleased to see management let go the one guy that embodies the Colts franchise for nothing either, especially when it makes zero sense to do it.

You can fit Luck and Manning under the cap even if you pay Manning the bonus. If it's deemed Manning is healthy enough to play (and it looks like thats becoming more certain every update we hear from Manning) then there is absolutely no reason not to sit Luck and have him learn all the ins and outs of the pro game and offense from one of the best, meanwhile still remaining competitive while Luck undergoes his learning experience.

it's just way too much money to pay so that he can "learn from Manning" for a year...

does anyone even know if Manning can play at all anyway???...last I heard his return was in the air...no one is going to trade for the guy with that contract and injury issue, he is too expensive to keep around to teach.

I know it's hard but the time has come to just let it go...the Peyton days are over
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:09 PM   #25
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If Luck really is "the next Manning" he doesn't need a teacher anyway...
Old 01-03-2012, 05:15 PM   #26
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
it's just way too much money to pay so that he can "learn from Manning" for a year...

Its not alot of money.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM   #27
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Its not alot of money.
$18 million for a one year "teacher" to Luck?

ssshit...that's some expensive teaching
Old 01-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
$18 million for a one year "teacher" to Luck?

ssshit...that's some expensive teaching

I thought it was $28 million?
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #29
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
I thought it was $28 million?
he is owed a $28 million bonus if he plays next season...

is that ON TOP of an $18 million cap hit?

making it $46 mill in total?

If so HOLY SHIT...no fckin way the Colts pay that
Old 01-03-2012, 05:45 PM   #30
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
here is how: Manning signed a new contract right after the lockout. The Colts must decide by March 9 — four days before the start of the 2012 league year — whether to pick up his $28 million option bonus, which is payable in $14 million installments on March 15 of 2013 and 2014. His base salary for 2012 is $7.4 million, meaning the Colts would owe him $35.4 million next year after paying him $26.4 million in 2011 while he sat on the sideline.

found that...

no way in hell the Colts are going to pay him $35 mill to teach Luck for one year...that is absurd
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: