Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default 6 games into the season, Bargnani, Calderon & Derozan look good.

I know we haven't faced the toughest of competitions, but boy, Bargnani has looked real good. Really, has been our best player. Defense is better, rebounding still needs work, but offensively, very efficient. He's hitting a lot more shots with confidence.

Calderon is looking like the Calderon of old. Maybe the long break really helped him out and he has healed (I think he could be a prime candidate to be traded by the deadline if you can get positive value for him).

Derozan has looked good, but to be perfectly honest, hasn't improved in a couple of facets that I wanted him to improve on. Yes, he's hitting the 3 with more regularity, but his handles don't seem that much better, and if he doesn't score, he has no impact on the game. He doesn't rebound particularly well; he's not a playmaker, and isn't a good defender.

Also, like to point out, I think Casey's principles on defense are very good. Now we may not have the right personnel, but he's making the best of the situation (not good in a tank year, I know) - but he's instilled some good things.

I understand it's very critical for us to tank this year, but the sched hasn't really allowed us to do so in proper fashion. We get the Nets next, we might be hovering around .500 until I would say about Jan. 13th. After that, we're probably going to see tank nation in full force...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: 6 games into the season, Bargnani, Calderon & Derozan look good.

i mentioned this somehwere in teh other thread and will say it again. Calderon has looked like the calderon of old. I hope it stays this way. Bargs starts off very good every season and then when the season gets older he just cools off. I am sure he will hit that phase again when his %'s go down. i hope he doesn't but i expect that from him based on his past performances.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I mentioned this in the game thread but if Bargnani can maintain a ridiculous offensive efficiency of around 60 TS%, I'd look past him still being awful on the boards and help defense like he has. That kind of offense would be too good to deny. The question about that and Derozan's 3pt shooting is, can they maintain it? 6 games is a tiny sample. With Bargnani, 5 years of results saying otherwise still has me skeptical. Derozan being only being in his 3rd season makes it a bit more plausible but he can't keep this 3pt pace up. If he can settle in the 36% range or so, I'll take that.

I'm still 100% on the tanking bandwagon though. I've become too big of an Anthony Davis, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Harrison Barnes fan (as NBA prospects) this NCAA season. Davis in particular looks like a future superstar. I have faith in Valanciunas and adding one of those guys could be the final piece of rebuilding and the start of building a contender. The benefits of getting one of these big talents far outweighs any benefits of "playoff experience" a quick 1st round exit would provide, IMO. In fact, I think making the playoffs as a low seed (or barely missing them) would be the absolute worst outcome for the Raptors this season. Either be really good or really bad.

Last edited by Qwyjibo : 01-04-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
TMAC-RAPTORS
Sharpshooter

TMAC-RAPTORS is considered somewhat coolTMAC-RAPTORS is considered somewhat cool

Very impressed these guys, but yeah the question is if they can hold it up or not. Outside of these 3, the team can not find ways to score, that is going to be a problem.
TMAC-RAPTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:50 PM   #5
Awkrewen
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Awkrewen has decent reputation

From what I remember of past October and November games Bargs tends to start of shooting around 45% and rebound about 5 rebounds a game. He has never looked this good or seemed to be putting in this effort any other year. It almost seems as if he is responding to the coach this year and not just going through the motion. I dont think in either of the last two years he has started anywhere near this good. From what I remember the diehard supporters he has always seemed to say he needed time to warm up and he is a slow starter then he never would warm up and would play the same way all year. He is shooting at a better percent then he did any other year and his is hitting the fewest 3 pt shots he has any year. I doubt he keeps it up but if he does he would finally be living up to that contract he was given.
Awkrewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:50 AM   #6
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awkrewen
From what I remember of past October and November games Bargs tends to start of shooting around 45% and rebound about 5 rebounds a game. He has never looked this good or seemed to be putting in this effort any other year. It almost seems as if he is responding to the coach this year and not just going through the motion. I dont think in either of the last two years he has started anywhere near this good. From what I remember the diehard supporters he has always seemed to say he needed time to warm up and he is a slow starter then he never would warm up and would play the same way all year. He is shooting at a better percent then he did any other year and his is hitting the fewest 3 pt shots he has any year. I doubt he keeps it up but if he does he would finally be living up to that contract he was given.

Not quite true. He started last year super hot as well. He was shooting like 43% from 3 and 48% or so overall.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 03:12 AM   #7
T-Low
College superstar

T-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat coolT-Low is considered somewhat cool

Wait for it....wait for it....
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:25 AM   #8
Velocirap31
Decent college freshman

Velocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation hereVelocirap31 has a near all-star reputation here

Why trade Calderon? He isn't as much of a defensive liability as people like to joke that he is; he rarely turns the ball over; his shooting is way above average (even for guards); and he gets great looks for his team mates (he owns the pick and roll).

I say there are 3 Raptors to keep for sure: Derozan, Bargnani (we know he isn't going anywhere), Calderon. Wouldn't care to see any others go.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 05:47 AM   #9
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

Prodigy has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocirap31
Why trade Calderon? He isn't as much of a defensive liability as people like to joke that he is; he rarely turns the ball over; his shooting is way above average (even for guards); and he gets great looks for his team mates (he owns the pick and roll).

I say there are 3 Raptors to keep for sure: Derozan, Bargnani (we know he isn't going anywhere), Calderon. Wouldn't care to see any others go.

At this point I agree. I wanted him gone last year so we'd get one of the pgs from last year's draft. Since we got Valanciunas instead and Bayless still sucks ass then I'd rather just keep Calderon. His deal should be up soon anyhow.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:14 AM   #10
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

I've also been pretty impressed with these 3.
Bargs has looked better than ever. His d is improved, especially guarding the pick and roll. He will likely never be great defensively but then many of the nba's best players suck defensively (melo for one). If he could just get a few more boards...

derozan has definitely improved his range. you can see he has worked on it, his form is great and he is shooting with confidence.

jose is looking like the jose of old and i am loving it. this is especially good to see as bayless looks like a mediocre backup.

I just wish they would start davis and jj.
rasual is much better suited to the second unit that could use his offence and amir was far better off the bench last year.

as for the tank, we need to be realistic. this team could never compete with our current talent pool and the players at the top of this draft have real superstar potential. we just need one more year with a poor record and we will be ready to start aiming for playoffs. but i can't help routing for the win when i'm watching the game.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:34 AM   #11
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Rasual Butler needs to stop chucking.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #12
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

i am afraid to say this but i think we have all collectively jinxed all 3 of these guys, especially bargnani.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 12:05 PM   #13
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocirap31

Calderon is exactly the player the Raptors should be looking to trade. Let's face it, not going to have much of a role here if/when the Raptors do become contenders down the road. Calderon is 30 and is not going to get any better. This is how you "tank". You obviously can't lose games on purpose but you construct the roster in such a manner where you trade productive veterans that won't be a part of your team's future.

They obviously can't do it now with Bayless injured. But when the Raptors start losing games and it becomes obvious they are out of the playoff picture, you must try to cash in on Calderon's value. Then you ride out the year with Bayless/Carter until you find someone better in a trade, draft or free agency.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
Rasual Butler needs to stop chucking.

Butler needs to stop getting meaningful playing time.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 PM   #15
Tool
Ball til I fall

Tool is considered somewhat coolTool is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Butler needs to stop getting meaningful playing time.

I don't think Casey has a choice just look at our small forward depth chart

Butler/JJ/Forbes/Kleiza

Ouch.
Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: