Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #31
Phong
Decent college freshman

Phong has a terrific reputationPhong has a terrific reputationPhong has a terrific reputationPhong has a terrific reputationPhong has a terrific reputationPhong has a terrific reputation
Default Re: What's the best basketball related book you've read? I'll start.

The Loss of the Ring ~ L.R. James
Phong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 03:50 PM   #32
Derka
Go C's!

Derka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDerka is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

"Drive" by Larry Bird
"When the Game Was Ours" by Jackie MacMullen
"Basketball Junkie" by Chris Herren & Bill Reynolds
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #33
Faptastrophe
Rivalries Never Die

Faptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableFaptastrophe is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Faptastrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #34
LemonMan
Young Baller

LemonMan has decent reputationLemonMan has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelticForce1349
"Can I Keep My Jersey?" by Paul Shirley

also black man can't shoot by Scott N. Brooks, read it for my sociology class
LemonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #35
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

If you're a Detroit Pistons fan, The Franchise is a must read. And if you're merely a fan of the NBA, I'd still recommend it. The writing style felt just a tiny bit cheesy at times (author constantly refers to GM Jack McClosky as "the man with gunmetal hair") but you get used to those small quirks and the book as a whole seems at least a little bit unfiltered. For instance, you'll read about Rick Mahorn telling a reporter to suck his snake. Or, you'll find out that when Adrian Dantley shook hands with Isiah Thomas at midcourt in his first return to the Palace since being traded to the Mavericks, instead of reconciling, Dantley was actually whispering, "I'll never forgive you for this."

On top of everything else, it's a fun time warp, going back to an era where Buck Williams and Kiki Vandeweghe were hot commodities on the trade market and "Mony Mony" still really got people going at the arena. It's an excellent look back at the NBA and in particular, the Bad Boys.

Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:34 AM   #36
ripthekik
GIVEN NOT EARNED

ripthekik has an OK reputation so far

"Confessions of a PED user" by Lebron James
"2011 Finals: A choke to remember" by Lebron James
ripthekik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 07:16 PM   #37
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Not the best I've ever read, but I'll recommend Foul!, the Connie Hawkins story. Sorry for mentioning it in two separate threads, but I thought it might be fitting to post here.

It took me a while to work my way through it (after ignoring it on my own shelf for years) because the first 100 pages slogged a bit. It felt like the same old "from the streets of New York, then greatness, and tragedy". But after Hawkins reaches the professional ranks, I got pretty engrossed.

If nothing else, it gives great insight to the NBA at the time (around '70) and it's interesting to see all sort of familiar names pop up, but often in much earlier forms than we've grown accustomed (Cotton Fitzsimmons, the Colangelo family, Johnny Red Kerr, Paul Silas, Gail Goodrich, etc).

On top of everything else, I only knew the core basics about Hawkins and his ban from the NBA. This cleared a ton of things up. Good stuff.

Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #38
JimmyMcAdocious
NBA sixth man of the year

JimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation hereJimmyMcAdocious has an incredible reputation here

Those fake Amazon reviews are the best.

This is one of my favorites.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3BX31F...wasThisHelpful

This as well
http://www.amazon.com/review/R6PAMGK...wasThisHelpful

Last edited by JimmyMcAdocious : 03-19-2014 at 08:37 PM.
JimmyMcAdocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #39
outbreak
Custom User Title

outbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation hereoutbreak has an incredible reputation here

play their hearts out
outbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: