Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #1
Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Josh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputation
Default Next-Gen Console Wars

Another poster created a topic about XBOX Live, which promoted me to create a new topic about the next-gen console wars. The read may be a bit much, but please take time to read my opinion on the subject, and please feel free to add your $0.02.

Going forward into the next-gen console wars, the one advantage Microsoft has over Sony and Nintendo is their online functionality. XBOX Live was a huge success on the original XBOX, and will be three times fold more successful on the 360. The ability to play a multi-player shooter or sports game on a strong global network amplifies the level of entertainment (not to mention Live Arcade ... Street Figher II anyone?!). Video gaming enthusiast understand this, which is why PC gaming is on the decline (due to console gaming leaping fiercely into the online community).

Look at the previous generation (PS2, XBOX and GameCube). Without the success of XBOX Live, Microsoft wouldn't even be in this current generation. If the Playstation Network was as strong or equally as strong as XBOX Live, there'd be no question on who's going to win this next-gen console war. Instead, because of the 360's head start and superior online gaming community, there's a chance Microsoft could be the next champion. Imagine how successful the GameCube (my personal favorite of the previous generation) could have been with a solid online society. Games like Super Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Mario Party, etc. would have thrived online.

This generation is different for Nintendo. They're putting together a strategy for online gaming, which will certainly be to their advantage. In addition, if they allow throw-back games (like Mario Kart for the SNES, Golden Eye 64, etc.) to be online playable, imagine the buzz that would create? Online gaming is the key to true gamer's hearts. Having said that, to many people's surprise, I believe the 360 and Wii will be the frontrunners in this generation of gaming if... all of the following things take place:

● XBOX Live continues to dominate the online community
● Nintendo finally delivers a strong online network
● Playstation Network remains mediocre

Honestly, I still can't find a Wii anywhere in my hometown (Winston-Salem, NC). I can easily find a PS3 just about anywhere now. Ironically, everyone predicted the PS3 to remain sold-out for months, while the Wii was thought to be collecting dust on store shelves. Right now, Nintendo is kicking Sony's ass, and if the Wii continues to keep its buzz, it will soon be in Microsoft's rearview mirror.

In the end, I believe Nintendo will lose its buzz; mostly due to lack of 3rd party support for games. In a few years, the PS3 will become more affordable, more people will have HD-TVs, and will greatly pick up much needed speed. The wild card for Sony is, if Blue-Ray wins the format war for next-gen video; that'll be a huge momentum swing. At this point, Microsoft is in a critical position.

If the 360 can keep selling machines and continue to promote their dominance in the online community, I think they'll be victorious in the end. XBOX Live and XBOX Live Marketplace is taking console gaming to a whole new dimension. While Sony will allow free online gaming, it's grossly mediocre compared to what Microsoft is doing. Ultimately, gamers will want the best of all worlds as follows (especially as living room technology becomes more affordable / HD-TVs and high speed ethernet):

● Enhanced Graphics (PS3 / 360)
● Huge 3rd Party Support (360 / PS3)
● Superior Online Community (360................................ PS3 / Wii)
● Affordability (Wii / 360)

As you can see, Microsoft is the only competitor in all categories of importance. Microsoft will provide the highest level of opportunity for gamers to get the most bang for their buck. This in my opinion, will crown them king in this generation of console gaming (which may be the last generation of console gaming). What's your take?

Josh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
schyza
High School Starter

schyza has decent reputationschyza has decent reputation

Nice write up on the 3 systems and I couldnít agree more. I feel at this point Microsoft in a very short time has surpassed Sony in the console wars now whether they can keep the edge will have to wait and see but in the short time that Xbox has been out it has taking gaming to another level and with the Xbox Live on 360 it will take a lot for Sony to recover. I also agree that if Nintendo gets itís act together and was able to develop a good online community it could also surpass Sony I loved Mario Cart and Smash Bros and if Nintendo could create an online functionality (that is as user friendly as the Xbox) Sony would be taking a back seat to both 360 and Wii there are still a lot of what ifís but as of now I see it like this.

● Enhanced Graphics (360 = PS3 I played both and didnít notice a huge difference)
● Huge 3rd Party Support (360 / PS3)
● Superior Online Community (360................................ PS3 / Wii) (this to me puts it over the top)
● Affordability (Wii / 360)

Another big + for the 360 IMO is the fact that you can go to a Target or Walmart and pick up a 13 month subscription to Xbox Live Gold with out having to give a credit card # online just get the card from the store and put in the redemption code.
schyza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #3
Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Josh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputationJosh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Another big + for the 360 IMO is the fact that you can go to a Target or Walmart and pick up a 13 month subscription to Xbox Live Gold with out having to give a credit card # online just get the card from the store and put in the redemption code.

This is exactly what I did. I bought mine from Best Buy. I've read a lot of horror stories about Microsoft's practices about storing credit card information and not doing the best they can to keep it private. If you give them a credit card number online, and at a later date you request them to remove it from their database, they will not erase it!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:00 PM   #4
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

For me, all the systems have their flaws, that make me want to wait...

I think the PS3 could very well be the better system, but the $600 price tag is outrageous. It isn't even worth talking about. I refuse to buy one at that price. But the controller is the most comfortable for me. Although I don't like wireless technology, all the "next gens" have gone that route. Save up your money for batteries. Lastly, I don't think anyone is convinced that Blue-Ray technology is either stable, or here to stay.

I'm really curious to hear some reviews from people who actually have the PS3. I heard that it was disappointing at E3.

Also, Sony's online has always been free, better than paying for X-Box Live.

Regarding the X-Box, I don't like having to pay to use the online feature when I can do it for free with Sony's system. Also, I have a real problem with anyone asking me to support anymore Microsoft products after they way they have handled Windows in recent years. And from what I understand, the X-box is more affordable at $400.00, but external equipment will be required in the future and it will bring the total back up to $600.00. (I can't remember if I heard you need a hard drive, or an additional disk drive (i.e. HD DVD?))

Regarding the Wii, I think it may actually be the most advanced gaming system, because it most closely relates to Virtual Reality, which is definately the end product of gaming as I see it.

But I don't think they did a very good job of making it user friendly. What if I don't _want_ to use their motion activated controller? I want to play Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess. I'd like to play it a lot actually. But can I do it with a normal joystick? I'd have to try this system out before I actually was sold on it.

Obviously you can't say enough good things about the $250 price tag, but I really have to try this out before I know if I like having to do everything by hand, instead of the usual hand-held finger controlled, good old game pad.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:11 PM   #5
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i have the 360 and wii, and my friend has all 3. we mostly play the 360. the wii is fun when u have friends over and u play party games for drinks and such. the ps3 doesnt have **** for it right now. and it collects dust.
another thing you failed to mention was 360's head start. that was a HUGE move for m$. they did to sone what sony did to them last year. this head start cost sony alot of market share, from which they may never recover. sony has stumbled at every turn. now before you call me a m$ fanboy, let me assure you im not. ive always supported sony, and actually prefer the japanese-centric games that sony gets. they are losing alot of their exclusives though, due to m$ being out early and grabbing 10+ million users before sony could do anything. sony is gonna be playing catch up throughout this generation, its kinda sad, i really wanted sony to win. If sony does manage to fix their issues and win, i'll get a ps3. i dont mind spending 600, but i cant justify that if i can get the same if not better experience on a wii+360.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 09:25 PM   #6
Maximum310
High School JV MVP

Maximum310 has an OK reputation so far

AHHH, The Console wars still live on. Kind of reminds me of the Golden Age of Gaming when the Super NES went at it with the Sega Genesis and all its add-ons and eventually had to deal with the original PlayStation. Having a head start usually doesnt equal success, ie DreamCast, Jaguar.....
I guess cause Im an older cat now (26 y.o.) Im not much of a gamer anymore, but Im planing on buying the Wii as my next gen console for its online old school game capabilities, and once the PS3 drops in price, I will probably get that one also. I already got an HD DVD so its not like I will need any console to watch films, just like I never used my PS2 to watch DVD's either.
Maximum310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:04 PM   #7
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation here

360 vs. PS3 real-time comparison

Hover over the images.........
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
Josh
Deity ★ Persona

To the naked eye, there's a difference. However, if you are like most, and you fail to pay attention to detail, you're not going to see a vast difference between a PS3 installment and 360 version. In fact, your Madden's, GTA, etc. will look identical on both consoles.

The difference will be Sony's exclusive gaming experiences.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #9
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh
To the naked eye, there's a difference. However, if you are like most, and you fail to pay attention to detail, you're not going to see a vast difference between a PS3 installment and 360 version. In fact, your Madden's, GTA, etc. will look identical on both consoles.

The difference will be Sony's exclusive gaming experiences.

Sony has lost a bunch of their exclusives, the only one that most people give a damn about is Metal Gear Solid 4.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #10
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard5Dirk41
Sony has lost a bunch of their exclusives, the only one that most people give a damn about is Metal Gear Solid 4.

I have to agree. I've read in more than one place that there are areas of the country where PS3's are literally just sitting on the shelves because there are no games for it and the price tag is too high, while you can't find a Wii anywhere.

Also, there were a few titles that were only available on X-Box that I couldn't get for my PS2, most notiably, Saint's Row.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: