Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 01-10-2012, 11:41 AM   #1
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Baron returning- Good or Bad?

So we all know Baron is rehabbing. A lot of people are anxiously anticipating his return to the hardwood.As I mentioned before, I saw Baron with my own two eyes. I was maybe 10 feet away from him. In the same room. He didn't look like a guy who's coming back anytime soon.

Shumpert has been a pleasant surprise for the Knicks. He's clearly outplaying Douglas nad clearly and upgrade at point guard.He immediately has taken some of the fear and uncertainty our of at least one backcourt position. Unfortunately, I think we're going to find a way to screw this up. Every game, I keep hearing from commentators and pre-game analysts that he's a "temporary solution" until Baron gets back. Why? Baron hasn't earned his spot no more than Shumpert hadn't in the beginning of the year. Shumpert is playing at a high level at pg. Our offense is a lot more fluid when he's in the game and he's communicating well with guys out there.

Why stunt his growth as a PG by trying to typecast him? So what he isn't the prototypical PG. He can pass and he can defend smaller guys. He's a fiesty on ball defender. Plus, eventually, I'd like to see him post up some of these smaller guys. Deron Williams didn't always play PG in Illinois and he's a bigger guard. We could have something special and I just think by automatically demoting him or moving him to the 2 when Baron gets back, you could ruin his confidence or hinder his growth as a pg. The one weakness of his game has actually been his shooting IMO. I think he's best at PG and moving him without Baron earning his way into the starting lineup is wrong. Especially given that Baron hasn't been overly productive or healthy recently and he's old. Add that to the fact that he hasn't played with the Knicks before either. We could have our pg of the future, a 6'5" PG with an NBA ready body and great potential. Who knows? I think if anything, the stop gap or "temporary solution" is Davis, not Shump! If Shump works out at the 1, that's one less position we have to address in the offseason. We can focus solely on depth and SG. Let's not squander the opportunity!

Last edited by franchize : 01-10-2012 at 11:43 AM.
franchize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 PM   #2
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Baron returning- Good or Bad?

I liked what I saw from Iman at the 1.
But he only played what? a bunch of games.
Let's see if he keeps it up for two months.
If he does, I agree with you in making him our starting PG even if Baron returns.
Baron can surely add experience and skill at his position, but I value a lot Iman's intensity and defense.
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #3
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

Shump still needs to learn the pick and roll. Davis already knows it. We're obviously going to see what we have with Baron.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #4
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Baron at the 1, Shump at the two.

Done deal.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:20 PM   #5
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickscity

Done deal.
This.

Shumpert has all the makings to be a legit 3rd option for us if we let him get out there and not have to worry about setting up offensive sets or focusing on playmaking.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #6
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

franchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfranchize is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Done deal.
Why is it a done deal? Am I the only one concerned that we are putting all this hope in an aging,often injured pg? Id rather keep Shump at the point and use Baron only if Shumpert cant cut it. Baron Davis is not someone that automatically earns a starting job no matter what I think we should feed the hot hand.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
airchibundo507
"LINISH HIM!"

airchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterairchibundo507 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm concerned about our spacing. We can't beat elite teams shooting 10% from behind the arc each night.
airchibundo507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:08 AM   #8
knickscity
Knicks Board Moderator

knickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableknickscity is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchize
Why is it a done deal? Am I the only one concerned that we are putting all this hope in an aging,often injured pg? Id rather keep Shump at the point and use Baron only if Shumpert cant cut it. Baron Davis is not someone that automatically earns a starting job no matter what I think we should feed the hot hand.
If Baron gets back healthy it makes no sense to have him coming off the bench, as he is an actual pg.

I personally don't want all this pressure on the rookie, even though he has been playing very well.

The games will get rougher as they move forward, and I would think the best line-up to start the game, with a purpose to get the team rolling early will be crucial.

Shumpert doesn't have to be the point to help run the offense, and it seems no one can hold down the two spot, except him.

Besides, Shump really isn't running the point the majority of time he is on the floor, Melo is.

Kinda why I compared him so much to Larry Hughes.
knickscity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #9
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
If Baron gets back healthy it makes no sense to have him coming off the bench, as he is an actual pg.

I personally don't want all this pressure on the rookie, even though he has been playing very well.

The games will get rougher as they move forward, and I would think the best line-up to start the game, with a purpose to get the team rolling early will be crucial.

Shumpert doesn't have to be the point to help run the offense, and it seems no one can hold down the two spot, except him.

Besides, Shump really isn't running the point the majority of time he is on the floor, Melo is.

Shump runs the point in the beginning of games then we revert to that foolish point-forward crap. So really Shump would be running point if D'Antoni wasn't such an idiot.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
PistolPete
The Pistol

PistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected posterPistolPete is a pretty well-respected poster

Baron returning is a good thing. Don't like seeing Carmelo bringing the ball down the court.
PistolPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete
Baron returning is a good thing. Don't like seeing Carmelo bringing the ball down the court.
Well that part is D'Antoni's fault. He never should have introduced that point/forward nonsense. Even with Douglas, you let your pg play pg. Who knows, maybe Mike will be stupid enough to still implement this crap even when Baron gets back.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:52 AM   #12
redrich2000
I brick open layups

redrich2000 has no real reputation yet.

What worries me is that we lose Schumperts defense that has been so good. Could we start with Schumpert and look to continue the good, swarming defensive starts but then use Davis more later in games when we have struggled so badly offensively?
redrich2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #13
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe

Shumpert has all the makings to be a legit 3rd option for us if we let him get out there and not have to worry about setting up offensive sets or focusing on playmaking.

I would rather him be a 4th option behind Chandler personally until he learns to shoot better. He should focus on getting to the rack more.

Quote:

You had me until Larry Hughes.

I just dont want him to disappear like Fields did. Remember Fields looked like an all world player from October to December.

I truly pray the addition of Baron turns out good. There is no guarantee he will not be a chucking thinking he should take over at inopportune times.

Last edited by Rameek : 01-12-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #14
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Baron returning means fewer minutes for Toney Douglas = Great!!!

Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 12:15 PM   #15
franchize
"The Residential Pit"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Baron returning means fewer minutes for Toney Douglas = Great!!!

This is true. You got a point there. I don't see why we won't trade Toney while he has an ounce of value...and I do mean ounce!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: