Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Default Trade Rumor (with no Link)

Quote:
Spanish-language Blog de Basket has quite the compelling story running today, particularly for Los Angeles Lakers and Toronto Raptors fans; the problem is that BallinEurope.com cannot seem to confirm the story’s veracity or the source reportage.

According to Il ‘Blog, the Raptors have advanced an offer of Andrea Bargnani and Jose Calderon to the Lakers for Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher. Supposedly, the San Antonio Spurs are also interested in making a deal for Gasol, which would be quite the bizarre transaction, indeed. (Who comes to L.A.? Tony Parker?)

The story quotes no less than John Hollinger of ESPN.com as having confirmed this rumor, but without linkage.

Copied from the NBA Forum.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
T-Low
College superstar

Default Re: Trade Rumor (with no Link)

Hmm.....I am not sure on the deal.....Pau is getting old and.....Derek Fisher....Not sold on it...
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

My thoughts on this one from the main forum:

No thanks.

Not that I don't like Gasol because I do. He's clearly a better player than Bargnani. On a talent-basis alone, it's a great deal for the Raptors. But let's face it, the Raptors probably aren't going to be competitive over the next 2 years so there's no point in getting Gasol at a very high price for the next 2 years. The Raptors should be looking to stock up on young players, draft picks and cap room.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

do it then trade him for someone better and younger than Bargnani lol
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

I'd do it because Gasol is better than Bargnani, which makes it easier to flip him again, we get rid of Bargnani's long contract for a shorter one.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
RapsFan
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
I'd do it because Gasol is better than Bargnani, which makes it easier to flip him again, we get rid of Bargnani's long contract for a shorter one.

I agree with this.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:21 PM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Gasol's huge annual $$ would make it tough to put together a trade though. You'd likely want to trade him to a contender but how do you get a deal done when all the contenders are likely near or over the cap.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
hayden695
NBA lottery pick

I like it. Mostly cause i think we could flip Gasol to a contender. And cause we get rid of my two least favourite raptors. With that said i havent watched a game this season cause i am working up North and have heard good things about the two of them.

Btw people were saying it wouldnt happen cause fish wants to stay in la. could we do a type of buyout like cleveland did with big z? How does that work.
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:22 AM   #9
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Gasol's huge annual $$ would make it tough to put together a trade though. You'd likely want to trade him to a contender but how do you get a deal done when all the contenders are likely near or over the cap.

It will make sense to do this, if we can flip him to Houston. I bet they still want him really badly.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:18 AM   #10
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Are you kidding me? This would be a great deal for us. Not that it's going to happen.

Pau Gasol would give us a legitimate franchise player, or like others have said we could flip him as his value is way more than Bargs to a contender. Which is exactly why this trade won't happen.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Not to mention with Kobe dominating the ball, Jose's game isn't really a great fit next to him.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #12
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Jose is a passive offensive player though. I think playing off the ball more and being more of a shooter would do him well. Jose's best qualities IMO are shooting and the pick and roll. When Kobe is sitting, you just work a Calderon and Bynum/Gasol pick and roll. I've thought he'd be a perfect fit on the Lakers for a few years now.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #13
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Jose is a passive offensive player though. I think playing off the ball more and being more of a shooter would do him well. Jose's best qualities IMO are shooting and the pick and roll. When Kobe is sitting, you just work a Calderon and Bynum/Gasol pick and roll. I've thought he'd be a perfect fit on the Lakers for a few years now.
Agree, he'd open the floor for Kobe and carry Bynum to the next level. If he can make Amir look decent, what could he make for Bynum...
Bargnani would also open the floor and be a key scorer when Kobe is on the bench.

I hope it happens... I don't think that Pau would end his contract in Toronto. The question is what Toronto would get in the end. Late first round picks is not enough.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogieWoogieMan
It will make sense to do this, if we can flip him to Houston. I bet they still want him really badly.
For what though? You'd have to match Gasol's salary. I'm not a big fan of Luis Scola and Kevin Martin wouldn't really fit with the rebuilding plan. IMO, if the Raptors are making trades they should be looking at young players, draft picks and cap room.

If Gasol still had 5 years left on his deal then I'd be all over this. Gasol is a great player but unless the Raptors think they can contend over the next 2 years (yeah, right) then I don't see the point of a trade like this.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #15
FCardelle
High School JV MVP

What about...
Calderon and Bargnani to LA
Pau to Houston
Lowry, (Budinger or Parsons) and picks to Toronto.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: