Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 01-11-2012, 05:03 AM   #1
Jyap9675
True Point Guard

Jyap9675 has decent reputation
Default Shooting basketball outside - harder?

Anyone notice that it is harder to shoot playing outdoor basketball? I can usually shoot lights out midrange, 3 points in indoor but its different in outdoors.

I had a look at the ring and it seems smaller, and its those single wire rings where if you just miss by a single degree... your shot goes off or I dunno if its just me.

Really annoys me when my main strength is shooting and now I have to be a rondo type player and play closer to the basket to score .
Jyap9675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #2
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Shooting basketball outside - harder?

Surely, there are a few more factors to account for when playing outside, namely, wind. Also, whereas indoors we can most often count on playing on an even court with rims set exactly at 10 feet, this is not always the same case outside. The rims in my little brother's neighborhood stand between 10'1'' and 10'2'', which makes a huge difference. The rims in my neighborhood feel a little less than 10 feet. This can all affect someone's jumper when they have not had the opportunity to acclimate themselves to the conditions.

Further, as you mentioned, many of the outdoor rims are not breakaway and they're in fact a lot tighter, meaning many shots grazing the rim will not be recipients of the "shooter's touch". My outdoor motto when people complain about the unforgivable bounces is "just don't hit the rim". Obviously, it's not that simple, but in a way it seems to perfect my shot (when wind is not a factor). Often when indoors, I'll count a shot that rattles home as a success, when really I'm playing a dangerous game relying on a fortunate bounce or two. When I concentrate on hitting no rim at all, my shot accuracy seems to step up. So really, I view outdoor shooting as a blessing in disguise.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

Definitely is harder, my man. Usually it's not a problem, but every once in a while you find those rims that feel like they're made out of concrete.

Use glass more and post up more to score. Anybody with a great inside game is going to dominate in pick-up basketball. Especially outside since the level of play is generally a little lower in outside pick-up basketball.

If you don't like the rims, just gotta operate closer to the basket and/or create more for others.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
cuad
kings fan

cuad is starting to rub some people the wrong way

The pavement will also wear down the grip on the basketball. That'll also make it harder to shoot and dribble, especially if you have small hands like me.
cuad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #5
ElBronco
All that I can borrow

ElBronco has an OK reputation so far

Some outdoor courts have the double rims. Even if thier single they're almost never as soft as indoor ones. Then to indoor courts are marked out well so you can reliably shoot from your favorite spots; not so on craigy asphalt courts that have been hastily chaulked out by kids or lazy park workers. At my favorite park in Eureka, my home town, one of the goals has a bad side support causing it to slant at a pronouced 27 degree angle.
ElBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: