Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #1
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Hue Jackson fired. Fair or unfair?

8-8 doesn't embody the "commitment to excellence" but it's the best Oakland's been in a while and it's only been one season. He had the team commit major assets to bring in Palmer and if you judge that deal right now it's a complete failure but much like giving Jackson one year that could be a premature judgment (though less of one as Palmer is 32 and hasn't had a good season in a while). The new GM wanting to bring in his own coach is understandable and maybe it was a case of the new management feeling like he had too much of a say in personnel. Regardless of all that, just curious to know if Raider fans and football fans in general think Jackson ws given a fair shot.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #2
irondarts

irondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterirondarts is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Hue Jackson fired. Fair or unfair?

I don't think it was fair, I think he deserved more time. However, I guess it's not as surprising as I initially thought, considering new management wanting to clean house and bring in their own people.
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #3
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

takeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation heretakeittothehoop has an incredible reputation here

Unfair IMO..It's not like the Raiders had an amazing team filled with pro bowlers. Hue did the best with what talent he had and injuries certainly didnt help out. They had McFadden injured for the second half of the season IIRC.

The Palmer trade was dumb but probably not a reason to fire your HC over.

One game from making the playoffs when you're coaching a team that hasn't been there since 2002? No one else has really even got close as HC of the Raiders in recent years.
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 03:29 AM   #4
StateOfMind12
Banned

StateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

That is completely unfair. Jackson did not have enough time and that was the best season the Raiders had in a really long time. Jackson also had to dealt with a bunch of issues during the season such as Al Davis passing away and serious key injuries on their team such as Darren McFadden, Jason Campbell, Jacoby Ford, and I am sure there were more. Jackson was not given enough time or the opportunity to succeed. That is just unfair to cut him off like that. I hope Jackson gets another HC job soon because he does deserve it IMO.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #5
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

QUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this board

Unfair. Dealing with multiple starters at QB, McFadden being hurt, Bush being hurt.

But in the NFL, losses get you fired.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

What's unfair is how we all dumped on Al Davis. He's long gone and the franchise continues to make one stupid move after another. It obviously wasn't all him.

Mortgage your future to get Palmer, in large part because of his relationship with Jackson, then fire him after he's had 10 weeks to make it work? Idiotic, and a prime example of why the Raiders are going nowhere.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #7
jazz873
College star

jazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
What's unfair is how we all dumped on Al Davis. He's long gone and the franchise continues to make one stupid move after another. It obviously wasn't all him.

Mortgage your future to get Palmer, in large part because of his relationship with Jackson, then fire him after he's had 10 weeks to make it work? Idiotic, and a prime example of why the Raiders are going nowhere.
When you bring in a new GM they like to clean house and bring in their own guys. And how can you already say this is a stupid move? You don't know that yet.
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
When you bring in a new GM they like to clean house and bring in their own guys. And how can you already say this is a stupid move? You don't know that yet.

The whole thread...hell, the whole site... is based on opinions. Mine is that you can't change head coaches every 18 months like the Raiders have done and expect to have success.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #9
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
The whole thread...hell, the whole site... is based on opinions. Mine is that you can't change head coaches every 18 months like the Raiders have done and expect to have success.
It doesnt seem fair but it had to be done. No way a new GM is going to have his success and failures with a coach that isnt his guy. Generally the new GM does talk to the present coach to see if they work something out or have a go at it. Not sure if that took place or not but I assume so.

On the other hand Jackson may get another chance in the future. Seems like coaching positions gets turned over every 4 years. Although I dont blame Jackson for the mediocre season he had a hand in giving up too much for Palmer.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #10
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So hue should have stayed because of Carson Palmer? Not a good enough reason to keep him. As a new GM I'm bringing in my guys. Sorry Hue you're not my guy.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Well... it's fair because they bring in a new GM, and that GM has his own ideas for direction. If Hue didn't fit in to those then he's got to go, it wouldn't work anyway.

I'm sure he's going to get a long look by multiple teams, he won't be out of the job for long.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #12
sonicman
Decent playground baller

sonicman has an OK reputation so far

Good read on this situation over at yahoo sports

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgSy1_fREs.F4HktWLHANVRDubYF?slug=ms-silver_oakland_raiders_hue_jackson_mark_davis_0111 12
sonicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
Playmakers Dad
Local High School Star

Playmakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected posterPlaymakers Dad is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
So hue should have stayed because of Carson Palmer? Not a good enough reason to keep him. As a new GM I'm bringing in my guys. Sorry Hue you're not my guy.
This ^

Also Hue Jackson was way, way over his head when it came to being a head coach and a GM (as is almost any coach who takes on duel responsibilities). The Palmer deal was a terrible one, and everyone who loves to suggest that Al Davis would have done the same deal if he was still alive does not have a pulse on the situation. Of course it was possible he would have made the move, but I also think it was equally possible he would have sat tight.

Not only was he the architect behind the Palmer deal but Hue also made a lot of highly questionable coaching decisions and would also make some unforgivable mistakes, for example poor clock management, leading the league in penalties by a wide margin (setting a record actually), and so on. The Raiders were extremely undesciplined which is usually a clear indicator of poor coaching.

That being said Hue is a brilliant offensive mind and an excellent coordinator. I would have tried to retain him in that position but when you are a new GM you want to clean house and bring in your guys, which I totally understand.
Playmakers Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 PM   #14
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers Dad
This ^

Also Hue Jackson was way, way over his head when it came to being a head coach and a GM (as is almost any coach who takes on duel responsibilities). The Palmer deal was a terrible one, and everyone who loves to suggest that Al Davis would have done the same deal if he was still alive does not have a pulse on the situation. Of course it was possible he would have made the move, but I also think it was equally possible he would have sat tight.

Not only was he the architect behind the Palmer deal but Hue also made a lot of highly questionable coaching decisions and would also make some unforgivable mistakes, for example poor clock management, leading the league in penalties by a wide margin (setting a record actually), and so on. The Raiders were extremely undesciplined which is usually a clear indicator of poor coaching.

That being said Hue is a brilliant offensive mind and an excellent coordinator. I would have tried to retain him in that position but when you are a new GM you want to clean house and bring in your guys, which I totally understand.

That was the primary reason right there. Draft picks are more important in the NFL than any other sport. Can't have a guy making deals like it's russian roulette.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: