Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
bluerap
Good High School Starter

Default Re: Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

I don't disagree.

In most cases you can evaluate a player based on his trajectory after 3 or 4 years. But demar is only at the beginning of his third year.

Tracy McGrady, for example, started to show how good he could be by the end of his third year (really in the playoffs). But most knew he was going to be a star before that. Most know with Derozan that his ceiling is far lower than McGrady but he still should have a chance to prove those wrong.

That being said, I would trade him for a number of other 2's in the league in an instant.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #17
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

DeRozan was also considered to be fairly raw coming out of college so where he's at now could be considerd fairly good progress.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #18
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
DeRozan was also considered to be fairly raw coming out of college so where he's at now could be considerd fairly good progress.

I would give him another 2-3 years. If he hasn't improved his rebounding, playmaking and ability to break through double teams than he is what he is. A decent shooting guard who can get you 15ppg on a below average shooting percentage with not much else. Seeing him develop his 3 point shot a bit is very encouraging.

Every year there seems to be a new dimension to his game so it will take some time to put everything together. Patience is a virtue, especially in pro sports.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 06:51 PM   #19
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
I would give him another 2-3 years.
The problem with that is that you'd have to give him another contract if you want to wait that long. I say if he's not looking like a quality starter by the end of next season, you move on.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #20
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
The problem with that is that you'd have to give him another contract if you want to wait that long. I say if he's not looking like a quality starter by the end of next season, you move on.

Definitely, more than enough time.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 03:30 AM   #21
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Wow, I said we should draft MKG back when we were winning a game here and there, and I assumed we wouldn't be like bottom 3 in the league. Now it looks like we may get there, so we may be able to start debating between Davis, Drummond, or Barnes.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #22
bluerap
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M.G.
Wow, I said we should draft MKG back when we were winning a game here and there, and I assumed we wouldn't be like bottom 3 in the league. Now it looks like we may get there, so we may be able to start debating between Davis, Drummond, or Barnes.

I think I'm actually liking MKG more than Barnes.
But I'm pretty sure we take Drummond or Davis if we go 1 or 2.
Maybe even trade down for Barnes or MKG.
I am also really impressed with Lamb's game.
Looks like the next Ray Allen.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #23
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
I think I'm actually liking MKG more than Barnes.
I think I'm starting to lean that way too. Barnes isn't showing enough in terms of being able to create his own offense from the perimeter. The Raptors already have that problem with Derozan. Barnes is one hell of a good shooter but so is James Jones in the NBA. I've seen a few games but I'd like to know what % of his field goals have been assisted on. Having a good playmaker like Marshall definitely helps.

I still don't know about Drummond. I think if you get the #2 pick you're kind of obligated to take him just based on his physical attributes alone. I know that has been said about many big men in the draft but it's not like Drummond has major injury concerns like a Greg Oden and he's not as robotic/raw like a Hasheem Thabeet.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:06 AM   #24
bluerap
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I think I'm starting to lean that way too. Barnes isn't showing enough in terms of being able to create his own offense from the perimeter. The Raptors already have that problem with Derozan. Barnes is one hell of a good shooter but so is James Jones in the NBA. I've seen a few games but I'd like to know what % of his field goals have been assisted on. Having a good playmaker like Marshall definitely helps.

I still don't know about Drummond. I think if you get the #2 pick you're kind of obligated to take him just based on his physical attributes alone. I know that has been said about many big men in the draft but it's not like Drummond has major injury concerns like a Greg Oden and he's not as robotic/raw like a Hasheem Thabeet.

He's also nowhere near as talented as Oden was. I don't see Drummond as a potential Dwight, but probably better potential than Roy Hibbert or Marc Gasol with the possibility of becoming Kwame Brown.

A lot of teams have been burned picking a guy because of his size (including the Raps).
Old 01-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #25
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
He's also nowhere near as talented as Oden was. I don't see Drummond as a potential Dwight, but probably better potential than Roy Hibbert or Marc Gasol with the possibility of becoming Kwame Brown.

A lot of teams have been burned picking a guy because of his size (including the Raps).
I kinda hope it doesn't come down to making that decision. Just get the #1 pick (Davis) or #3 (where I'd take MKG right now). Drummond is a tough one to figure out. He seems passive on offense but he's also playing with some ball-dominant perimeter players on that team. This is where your team's talent evaluators earn their money.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #26
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

One of the main reasons I'd prefer MKG to Barnes is his motor. The kid never stops. He's a great defender and he's great at getting to the rim. He's a proven leader already as a freshman.

Barnes I think has more skill. I think that MKG has a higher IQ though, and more passion for the game. And even though Barnes may have more skill, I could easily see MKG having the better career. Best case scenario in my mind.. Gerald Wallace.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #27
Awkrewen
Can barely lace up my sneakers

I still think Davis is the #1 pick but I think if we get #2-#4 we take MKG or Barnes. I am getting off the bandwagon for Drummond at this point. He is still a top 4 prospect, possible even #2, but if the choice with our current roster is between Drummond or MKG/Barnes I want the latter choice.
Awkrewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #28
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
One of the main reasons I'd prefer MKG to Barnes is his motor. The kid never stops. He's a great defender and he's great at getting to the rim. He's a proven leader already as a freshman.

Barnes I think has more skill. I think that MKG has a higher IQ though, and more passion for the game. And even though Barnes may have more skill, I could easily see MKG having the better career. Best case scenario in my mind.. Gerald Wallace.

I like his game and everything but I was really hoping for someone out of this draft with more potential than Gerald Wallace.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #29
bluerap
Good High School Starter

This draft is very deep, but I don't see any superstars beyond davis.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #30
hayden695
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain

Didnt Barnes stay back a year so he could try and win a title? Seems like passion to me.

I havent wayched any of these guys reall since I am away for work and havent been by a tv in quite a while, so most of my info is going off what ive read online. But from what people say Barnes could be either a role player or a star, where as mkg will be a very decent player. i think in the raps case they need to go for the star, seeing as how there isnt one on this team to speak of.

But like I said i dont have much to go off of.
hayden695 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: