Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #16
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

okay cool, and you're right, although IMO England improved, and had a better classical music run in the 20th century than many European countries. Before the 20th century? oh yeah, they were weak
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #17
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
being serious here ...
England has only excelled in Rock, nothing else

classical?
Jazz?
Hip-Hop?
RnB?
Soul?

England is nowhere to be found, I'm sorry. They don't even come close to the being #1 in terms of music

Are you joking? England has produced several renaissance, baroque, classical, and romantic artists. We're talking several hundred years, of course they're gonna make a contribution. USA wasn't even a country until late Classical period, how could you list that in your defense?

You left out blues, which as far as the 50s-60s are concerned, is the same genre as RnB and Soul. Have you by chance heard of Eric Clapton? John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, Sister Mary Thorpe, Canned Heat, Mick Jagger, Fleetwood Mac, Yardbirds, Long John Baldry? Britain had a very influential 60's blues scene.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #18
insidehoops
Administrator

Hendrix actually first became a real star when he left America and went to England.

He's American, though, of course.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:36 AM   #19
TiMavericks21
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewait
I freaking love Oasis. The Gallagher boys may be crazy but they are like a band of John Lennons

I'm an Oasis fantatic. I saw them 3 times last year during their Don't Believe the Truth tour, and when they announced more shows in the US, the closest one from me was in CIN, so me and 3 of my boys drove from NY to Cinncinati to see a show, sick time, sick concert.
TiMavericks21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:38 AM   #20
joewait
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMavericks21
I'm an Oasis fantatic. I saw them 3 times last year during their Don't Believe the Truth tour, and when they announced more shows in the US, the closest one from me was in CIN, so me and 3 of my boys drove from NY to Cinncinati to see a show, sick time, sick concert.

you lucky bastard! Those boys are amazing. I really love their music videos too, especially for don't look back in anger. And from what i've heard, Oasis is amazing live, better than the Beatles live.
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:44 AM   #21
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by joewait
you lucky bastard! Those boys are amazing. I really love their music videos too, especially for don't look back in anger. And from what i've heard, Oasis is amazing live, better than the Beatles live.

I've seen Oasis about 10 times. Great band, but don't go dropping the Beatles name around. Beatles rarely played live, and eqipment in the early 60's couldn't drown out 60 thousand people losing their f'ing minds.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:48 AM   #22
joewait
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
I've seen Oasis about 10 times. Great band, but don't go dropping the Beatles name around. Beatles rarely played live, and eqipment in the early 60's couldn't drown out 60 thousand people losing their f'ing minds.

don't get me wrong, the beatles destroy oasis in terms of studio albums, but all indicators say oasis was better live
joewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:03 PM   #23
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

I'm not talking studio, obviously that's not even worth a conversation. My point is there's not enough evidence, nor is it even fair to compare the periods. Equipment limitations made it so the Beatles couldn't even perform live after their first or second album. Microphones were awful back then, and amplification could not handle a stadium of their fans losing their minds. You couldn't even hear the band.

All things being equal, equipment-wise, I don't think you could argue that Oasis is a better live band.

Paul and John are way better singers than Liam and Noel.

George is prolly only a little more skilled on the guitar than Noel, but he has a ton more style, plays with a lot of melody, and doesn't tend to play the same thing over and over again (which Noel is guilty of).

Oasis' first drummer sucked, but Ringo isn't much either, I bet their new drummer is better than him. THat would be a big advantage for the live show.

And Paul is obviously the better bassist.

I think, if they had the same equipment, the excellent vocals, tight harmonies, and superior guitarists would give Beatles the edge. Not to mention the songs you'd be hearing.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #24
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
Are you joking? England has produced several renaissance, baroque, classical, and romantic artists. We're talking several hundred years, of course they're gonna make a contribution. USA wasn't even a country until late Classical period, how could you list that in your defense?

England had as much influence on classical music as they have right now on Hip-Hop. How many british composers of classical music do you know? I'd guess Henry Purcell MAYBE, and I'd be surprised if you know any other.
And NEVER did I defend the US to England, why would I need to? I just pointed out that English music has no versatility at all.

Last edited by Brunch@Five : 01-05-2007 at 12:07 PM.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:28 PM   #25
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

I never followed Classical/Baroque, but they have a lot of renaissance music. Especially lute transcribed for guitar which I studied in college. Gregorian too, I think
Old 01-05-2007, 12:35 PM   #26
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Default .

England > USA as far as top artists by far, but that is my opinion only.

And if you want to go by impact England >>>>>> USA and this is fact.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #27
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
And if you want to go by impact England >>>>>> USA and this is fact.

Ahh, but it is far from fact.

Explain to me where all British blues, and subsequent rock, came from? I'll let you know, Muddy Waters and Chuck Berry touring England in the 50's.

Practically the whole British Blues-Rock scene spawned from a handful of American electric blues artists.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:09 PM   #28
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Default .

I was thinking that while I was typing, but in my opinion you can't always look farther and farther back to see who had the most impact.

I'll take the impact the British rockers had in the 60's-80's over the impact the American blues artists had on them.

There should be a cut off point where being a forefather of something doesn't mean you had more of an impact. Or else you could go all the way down the line to some random music style from thousands of years ago.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #29
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

I don't know how much farther you can go back in Pop-Rock, beyond southern blues and traditional american of the late 19th early 20th century which spawned all of pop, rock, jazz, and country as we know it.

You can link Blues to western/central African music, which can prolly go to Egyptian, and then back to Sumerians and the first known civs. I'm not sure when Western/Gregorian and African split from Sumeria, prolly a lot of steps in there.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:03 PM   #30
JSub
Decent college freshman

The Beatles

close thread
JSub is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: