Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default DeMar DeRozan going through career growing pains

These are the most trying times of DeMar DeRozanís young NBA career, a time when things are going as poorly as they ever have, when he canít seem to buy a basket or have a big night.

And they might be about to get worse.

DeRozan struggled through another desultory offensive night as the Raptors were beaten 98-91 by the Sacramento Kings at the Air Canada Centre on Wednesday and with Andrea Bargnani headed to hospital for an MRI on a strained left calf, the attention DeRozan is going to attract as the best scorer on an offensively challenged team is only going to get worse.

How he handles it ó and he hasnít handled it particularly well in the last week even with Bargnani around to take away some of the pressure ó will have a lot to say in how the Raptors get through a particularly arduous stretch of the compressed NBA season.

-- Toronto Star
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #2
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation
Default Re: DeMar DeRozan going through career growing pains

Maybe I'm alone but I'm not worried about DeRozan at all.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I have the same worries that I had going into the season.

1) He's not good at creating off the dribble. Most of his dribbling is side to side rather than actually attacking the basket. A lack of good ball-handling skills is very worrisome to me for an SG.

2) Is his perimeter shot decent yet? He's definitely hitting 3's at a better rate but it's a small sample size.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 AM   #4
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Maybe I'm alone but I'm not worried about DeRozan at all.

No I agree, but now is the time to end his slump.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:04 PM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

1) He's not good at creating off the dribble. Most of his dribbling is side to side rather than actually attacking the basket. A lack of good ball-handling skills is very worrisome to me for an SG.

2) Is his perimeter shot decent yet? He's definitely hitting 3's at a better rate but it's a small sample size.
this. I've said it before and i'll say it again. I see Derozan as a very poor man's Andre Igoudala. I hope we get a more talented roster around the guy so that he can carve his niche in a similar fashion by becoming one of those all-around type of guys who is just really good at attacking the basket, defending, rebounding, and passing... I think it all depends on who he's playing with. On a roster with more talent he'd likely develop other skills because he wouldn't get the ball as much. But on a roster like this current one, we're expecting things out of him that he may or may not even be capable of.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
this. I've said it before and i'll say it again. I see Derozan as a very poor man's Andre Igoudala. I hope we get a more talented roster around the guy so that he can carve his niche in a similar fashion by becoming one of those all-around type of guys who is just really good at attacking the basket, defending, rebounding, and passing... I think it all depends on who he's playing with. On a roster with more talent he'd likely develop other skills because he wouldn't get the ball as much. But on a roster like this current one, we're expecting things out of him that he may or may not even be capable of.

problem is he seems to not be good at all in any of the above.
i thought he would beast this year, but probably he's just struggling to adapt to the new system. last year we ran a lot, that gave the young guys a lot of scoring opportunities. in this slow pace game we play right now, a player that can't create his own shot can't score effectively.
Derozan has always been a smart kid, i believe he'll figure it out.
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

3rd scoring option on a team with no other options as long as bargs is hurt.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:41 PM   #8
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

with bargs out, it was DD time to shine.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people

He has such terrible ball handling skills.....which is not good when driving the ball is supposed to be your main feature.
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #10
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people

The only thing I ever hoped for him was to become a solid starter. Not an All-star or anything like that, just a player you can depend on night in and night out in the starting lineup. I still think he can become that.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #11
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

TheScore Blog reports:

Just how bad has DeRozanís performance been over the last few weeks? He went from 18.5 points on 47.6 per cent shooting (10-of-16 from three-point range) in his first six games to 12.6 points on a disastrous 32.9 per cent shooting (two-of-22) in his last 11 contests. In addition, a notoriously poor ball handler, DeMar turned the ball over 10 times in those first six games. Since then, heís turned it over 28 times in 11 games.

As a whole, DeRozanís recent slump brings his season averages to 14.8 points on 38 per cent shooting and 31.6 per cent three-point shooting, 3.5 rebounds, 1.3 assists and 2.2 turnovers. From his sophomore season to this season so far, his scoring is down, his overall shooting is down, his rebounding and assists are slightly down, and his turnover rate is noticeably up.

One positive sign that DeRozan may finally be committing to attacking the basket to get out of this funk comes in the form of his free throw attempts. After totaling just 17 attempts in a five-game span, DeMar has gone to the line 18 times over his last two games. Heís going to have to continue to stay aggressive if he wants to start getting calls and scoring on a consistent basis again.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #12
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

can someone bring up his shot chart during his slump and during the first few games?

don't know where to find something like that
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #13
T.O.RapsJays
Go Jays/Raptors!!

T.O.RapsJays has an OK reputation so far

Demar with a great game today on both sides of the court.

No Barbosa means he actually has a chance to get the ball on offence.
T.O.RapsJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 12:32 AM   #14
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He's been bad enough this year that I wouldn't be averse to drafting an SG if one is clearly the best pick available in the draft.

Derozan should get only 1 more year to prove himself. After next year, you basically have to either extend him or let him go. Then again, knowing Colangelo, Derozan might be getting a $50 million contract after this season.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo

Big time on point #1. He can't handle the ball or create at all by driving.
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: