Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-11-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Josh posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryJosh posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default NFL Quarterback Discussion

Within the wonderful walls of the National Football League, there's many issues of debate, especially now that's we're entering the second round of this year's playoffs. This topic isn't about that. I've already endured a week-long war of words with bandwagon Chargers fans who believe they're a lock for the Superbowl despite going up against one of the most (if not the most) clutch QBs in all of football. Which brings me to the purpose of creating this thread. I want to discuss NFL quarterbacks from many different perspectives. If this doesn't interest you, do some jackass sh*t like jumping off a 50 foot building with a 60 foot bungee cable.

The obvious, and effortless question would be, who's the best quarterback in the NFL?. Maybe we can touch on that towards the end. This debate will be a little more in-depth. We'll discuss the different attributes, skills, mechanics and characteristics that make a quarterback who he is, and more importantly, their grade among their counterparts. We all have a favorite quarterback, but if you add your $0.02 to this discussion, please be unbiased in your opinions. If you're on the Bears' bandwagon, and think Rex Grossman is atop the quarterback mountain, you don't belong in this thread. The rules are simple; be unbiased, and present your case with facts and well debated opinions.

Having said that, let's begin. I'll present some issues we can start with, and if anyone wants to add categories of debate or discussion, please feel free. I'd like to start with a characteristic trait that's invaluable at this position, and probably the most overlooked, which is Leadership. Before I list who I believe ranks among the best and worst, I'll list what I believe to be important factors when determining what makes a good leader at this position, and vise versa. All lists will include quarterbacks who have started at least one game in the 2006 NFL season.

First and foremost, being the QB position is the most critical position on both sides of the ball (no matter how offensively or defensively oriented the team is), you must accept the bulk of the responsibility for winning or losing football games. If you pass for 400 yards, have 4 TDs and played a flawless game, however your defense played horrible enough to lose the game, that isn't the QB's fault, however, if the QB points fingers and belittles his team (especially) to the media, he's not a leader in my book. If a QB blames his receivers or lack thereof for not winning, he's not a leader. It's the QB's responsibility to develop a strong trustworthy rapport with his receivers. Sure, the receivers must do their part as well, but ultimately, it's the QB's role to unite everyone together off the field, so on-the-field they trust one another when the game is on the line. A leader must also keep his cool when sh*t hits the fan. A leader will never give up if they're being blown out in a game. A leader must also think of what's best for the team versus always thinking of what's best for him. This could be in terms of demanding a higher salary, demanding more throws, better weapons (receivers), etc. A good leader has a very trusting and positive relationship with his head coach and GM of operations. A good leader loves the franchise and the city he plays for, despite any complications whatsoever. The leadership perspective is 99% driven from actions off-field, however, these actions whether good or bad, will transpire onto the field.

The following is Top 5 and Bottom 5 quarterbacks I rank in terms of Leadership:

Top 5

● Tom Brady
● Carson Palmer
● Peyton Manning
● Matt Hasselbeck
● Donovan McNabb

Bottom 5

● Aaron Brooks
● Joey Harrington
● Michael Vick
● Eli Manning
● Rex Grossman

Let's switch gears to an on-the-field element at the quarterback position. Best Decision Risk Takers. To elaborate, to be in this category you must be a risk taking quarterback first and foremost. Highly conservative guys like Brad Johnson, Mark Burnell or even Tom Brady, obviously would not fit. Secondly, to be at the pinnacle of this list, you must make for the most part good decisions when taking the occasional risk. I'm excluding Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer and Drew Brees from this list because they're of a higher caliber of more accurate risk takers, which could equate to their normal game.

The following is Top 5 and Bottom 5 quarterbacks I rank in terms of Best Decision Risk Takers:

Top 5

● Matt Hasselbeck
● Jake Delhomme
● Eli Manning
● Brett Favre
● J.P. Losman

Bottom 5

● Jon Kitna
● Joey Harrington
● Charlie Frye
● Rex Grossman
● Ben Roethlisberger

I'll do one more list in my initial post for this thread. This one will be more opinion based, probably resulting in greater debate. Which fresh QBs of today, will be tomorrow's superstars? We're talking Future Success here. The rule will be, you can only list QBs with two years or less experience as a starting QB in the NFL. This does not include any current college football quarterbacks.

The following is Top 5 and Bottom 3 quarterbacks I rank in terms of Future Success:

Top 5

● Vince Young
● Philip Rivers
● Matt Leinart
● J.P. Losman
● Alex Smith

Bottom 5

● Charlie Frye
● Tony Romo
● Jay Cutler

If anyone would like to chime in and discuss my ranks or re-rank with your views, please feel free. If you'd like to add new categories, that'd be even better. I'll be back to add more to this down the road.

More to come...
Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Josh
Deity ★ Persona

Josh posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryJosh posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

It's now time to create the strongest arm category. Byron Leftwich has a rocket for an arm, but he's not too accurate. However, if we can set someone down in a chair up-close, I'm sure he could throw the football accurate and hard enough to almost knock their head off.

After creating such a well-written and interesting topic, to those of you who opened and read all of this or some of this, and made the decision to not respond with your $0.02, you're that jackass in the chair.

Get it?

Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 02:36 PM   #3
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

TEXAS BATMAN has decent reputationTEXAS BATMAN has decent reputation

Far as the best qb, Peyton Manning will go down in the record books as the statistically greatest qb to take a snap. I have no doubts of that. But if you look at Tom Brady, whose had a later start, all the adversity he's had on his back, you have to take a real good look at this guy for [i]one of[i] the goat's consideration. He doesn't put up gaudy numbers, but he consistently has with probably the most unstable receiving corps of all the top tiered qbs in the league. He's clutch in crunch time considerations, and rarely if ever have I seen him make a game killing play in the fourth. And on his way to three rings, he led his team in position on each of those last drives to give his team a chance to win. So is Tom Brady>>>Peyton Manning? That's a very good question.

Leadership.......

Top 5
1. Tom Brady.- That play against Brian Urlacher stands out. And in crunch games makes that throw that nobody else sees but turns out to be the play of the game. Heart and soul of New England.
2. Peyton Manning.- Even with a porous defense, his offensive prowess seems to dominate all aspects of the game.
3. Donovan McNabb.- Despite the injury, the Eagles look to McNabb as the captain of their ship. ...which consequently may have changed this year.
4. Brett Favre.- Old reliable. Terrible as he's been, his presence on the field alone speaks. Even through all the losing, still went out and gave 100% effort.
5. Vince Young.- Hear me out. You look what his heart and spirit did for the Titans after he took the helm, you can't deny the kid's leadership capabilities.

Bottom 5
1. Aaron Brooks.- Made zero impact on the Raiders. No locker room presence. Looked asleep at the wheel.
2. Rex Grossman.- Guys are out there playing for a ring and you say "i didn't really prepare for this game...i'll take the next one seriously..." will haunt this kid his whole career. Beleagured, under the gun, and you didn't prep? You don't deserve to start.
3. Mark Brunell.- Was just positively horrible.
4. That qb in Cleveland.- If teammates have to restrain one of your receivers from coming after you, you're not wearing the pants on the offense.
5. Eli Manning.- Doesn't even believe in himself so why should anybody else.

Future Success

Top 5
1. Philip Rivers.- He has LT for several more seasons, and that young Chargers defense.
2. Vince Young.- Tremendous upside. Already at this stage of his career a better passer than Mike Vick and just as dangerous with his legs.
3. Tony Romo.- Can make any conceivable throw. His abundance of confidence tells me he'll bounce back from playoff blunder.
4. Jay Cutler.- I'd say he looks like a young Elway even if he didn't play for Denver.
5. Matt Leinart by default of his receiving corps

Bottom 5

1. Chris Simms.- How did he ever become a pro qb? His dad has got to have dirt on the commish or something.
2. Charlie Frye.- Who does he play for again?
3. JP Losman.- Makes some of the most boneheaded throws you'd swear he was still under Drew Bledsoe's tutelage.
TEXAS BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: