Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 01-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation
Default We are a team of back-ups

And not even good back-ups for the most part. Think about it, do we have a single player who would CURRENTLY start on any good team?

Bargnani I guess would start for some good teams, but even when he's putting up 20+ ppg he doesn't rebound, I honestly think even he would be best served in a first big off the bench role.

Jose has been bad this year, and even when he was good a few years ago it was as a backup PG. I really wish we would just trade him for whatever, he could be great as a backup PG on a contender.

DeMar to me is like a Ronnie Brewer type, energy off the bench but too inconsistent and low-basketball-IQ to ever be relied on as a high-level starter. Hopefully he'll continue to improve, but I'm losing faith.

Barbosa is probably our most valuable trade asset other than Bargnani, but he is obviously best used as a 6th man, that's why he won that award.

Amir would be a quality backup PF for almost any team, but he absolutely is not a starter on any good team.

Ed Davis has a ton of potential, but right now he is not ready for prime time minutes, and I question his attitude at times, he seems like he doesn't want to be here.

A healthy Kleiza from a few years ago was a very decent bench forward who could start at SF, but now with injuries it is up in the air if he will ever be useful again.

James Johnson is a frustrating player on offence, defensively he is kind of useful, and I like the idea that we have a guy who could knock out almost anyone in the league. Again, best used as a backup due to his tweener status.

Bayless is totally trapped between positions, too small to be a starting SG, too selfish and pin-headed to be a starting PG.

And the rest of our team is pretty much complete garbage, with the possible exception of Gary Forbes, who I haven't seen enough of to judge. Basically I'm just saying that I hate the way this team has been built, I hate how much we are paying Bargnani, Calderon, and Amir, I hate the fact that DeMar and Ed aren't showing me much. The only thing I have to look forward to with this team is Valanciunas, a couple more years of very high draft picks, and the eventual removal of Brian Colangelo.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: We are a team of back-ups

I hear what your saying and you are right. But I would much rather have a basement dweller like the raps are, than a team that sqeeks into the playoffs gets swept and ends up with a lousy draft pick. It's all or nothing in my books.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

true
look at the leafs, destined for another 9th place finish.
that's good for 14th pick in the draft and more mediocrity.

tonight is a crucial game for the tank.
phoenix is on a back to back and have been playing pretty mediocre.
I really hope the raps can lose this one.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation

Ronnie Brewer is one of the most high IQ players in the league, but I agree with the sentiment, but it's not surprise. Everyone knew Raptors will be bad this year...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Bargs has earned my props but let's see if he's still doing it when he comes back.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I agree for the most part, other than the Jose has been bad this year part. He's actually having a good year so far IMO. But as for what I think of this team in general, it's the same as I thought last year. Complete overhaul. Keep maybe a few select core guys like Davis, Derozan, Amir, Val let's say, and then get some good vets around them and some lottery picks and see if we can make something happen.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:27 PM   #7
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people

Operation Tanktread in full effect!
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #8
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

tankers gonna tank
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:23 AM   #9
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

A.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputationA.M.G. has a terrific reputation

Bargnani was a beast tonight against Suns. Can't even hate. Performing like that coming back from injury impresses me alot. Still can't rebound, but other than that Bargs is really stepping up this season, which will hopefully increase his trade value.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:07 AM   #10
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Problem is, without Bargs in the lineup we have pretty much a guaranteed top 5 pick, but now with Bargs back in and tank commander Bayless out, we legit could be looking at a 8-12 pick when it's all said and done.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
el gringos
Good college starter

el gringos has not been impressing people

Its crazy to see what kind of belief you guys have in a 5th pick in this next draft- of course you'd rather have that than a Bargnani, hahahaha you guys would rather have ed davis than bargnani- I hant believe that the ish raptors fan base is so excited and wanting to tank for 3-4 years. Its a pathetic idea to think that getting bad is easy to move away from
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #12
bokes15
Playoffs!

It's not about belief in a 5 pick or if we think someone will instantly come in and be better than Bargnani. Point is, he's the best guy on our team bar-none.. I don't even think that's debatable. But as the best guy on the team, he can't lead us to a playoff spot because he's not good enough. That's not a knock on him, but it's the reality. So if given two options which of these would you prefer
1. To have an undertalented roster finish as a 10-11 seed year after year and get a probable scrub as a mid first rounder, or 2. to have that same roster finish in the bottom 5 for a chance at a potential game changer. No, not every draft has a Lebron James or a D-Wade or a Dwight Howard or even a Blake Griffin, but you build up piece by piece.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #13
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

2005 nba draft
#4 pick Chris Paul
#9 pick Ike Diogu

nuff said.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 02:10 AM   #14
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

raptorfan_dr07 has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
It's not about belief in a 5 pick or if we think someone will instantly come in and be better than Bargnani. Point is, he's the best guy on our team bar-none.. I don't even think that's debatable. But as the best guy on the team, he can't lead us to a playoff spot because he's not good enough. That's not a knock on him, but it's the reality. So if given two options which of these would you prefer
1. To have an undertalented roster finish as a 10-11 seed year after year and get a probable scrub as a mid first rounder, or 2. to have that same roster finish in the bottom 5 for a chance at a potential game changer. No, not every draft has a Lebron James or a D-Wade or a Dwight Howard or even a Blake Griffin, but you build up piece by piece.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Great post.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #15
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15

lulwat? not even debatable? i remember A LOT of debating about that put up by haters in the last years.
i remember a lot of you guys going out on the main board talking shit about Bargs and saying how Calderon, Derozan, or Davis or Amir was the best player on the roster.
this is why now that Bargs is beasting, he will always always be underrated by NBA fans, because Toronto's own fanbase spent years dissing him and screaming out loud how he was terrible garbage and an horrible bust.
i look forward to see the first "Bargs gets snubbed because he's playing in Toronto" thread. well, guess what, it's not because he plays in Toronto, it's because of you guys hating on him constantly for years.
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: