Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #1
Robster89
Serious playground baller

Robster89 has decent reputationRobster89 has decent reputation
Default Interesting Trade Idea

Saw this elsewhere.
It actually makes some sense.

According to Wojo (who is highly respected), the original Houston package is still available to the Lakers for Pau. (Martin, Scola, Dragic and the first rounder from the Knicks).
(I'd actually take that deal if I were the Lakers right now, but the proposal I saw was this):

The Lakers keep Scola and flip Martin, Dragic and the first rounder to Phoenix for Nash.

So the Lakers essentially trade Pau for Scola and Nash.

Houston does the original deal (which they still have on the table supposedly), and get Gasol.

Phoenix trades Nash for Martin, Dragic and a first rounder.
Phoenix needs a SG who can score, and Martin has a contract which will expire after next year. For a team who is in rebuilding mode, that contarct could be very valuable. They also get Dragic back, who could start for them at PG, and a pick which could be in the lottery. Nash expires this season, and they are going nowhere. Do they really want him back if they need to rebuild?

The Lakers could add a future first rounder if necessary, and maybe try to get Lopez coming over to back up the 5. (Phoenix has Gortat as their primary 5).

Thoughts?

I'm also hearing that the Nets believe they can sign Dwight outright in the offseason, without having to give anything up, which significantly lowers the Magic's bargaining power. A team who trades for Dwight before March 15 inherits his Bird rights, so can offer a 5 year deal with 7.5% annual raises as opposed to a 4 year deal with 4.5% raises for a "new" team he may choose to simply sign with as a FA.

So maybe Bynum, MWP, Barnes and a pick for Dwight and Hedo (as long as we had assurances that he will resign with us) may not be too far fetched after all.

I'd also offer Luke (who does expire after next season) and maybe Fish or Blake, along with a first rounder, to the Bucks for SJax.
Getting SJax also helps you get and keep Dwight.

1- Nash, Fish/Blake/GLoc
2- Kobe, Kopono
3- SJax, Hedo
4- Scola, McBob, Murphy
5- Dwight, Lopez

Plus we'd still have the TE.
Robster89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Interesting Trade Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster89
Saw this elsewhere.

According to Wojo (who is highly respected), the original Houston package is still available to the Lakers for Pau. (Martin, Scola, Dragic and the first rounder from the Knicks).
(I'd actually take that deal if I were the Lakers right now, but the proposal I saw was this):

The Lakers keep Scola and flip Martin, Dragic and the first rounder to Phoenix for Nash.

Houston does the original deal (which they still have on the table supposedly), and get Gasol.

Phoenix needs a SG who can score, and Martin has a contract which will expire after next year. For a team who is in rebuilding mode, that contarct could be very valuable. They also get Dragic back, who could start for them at PG, and a pick which could be in the lottery. Nash expires this season, and they are going nowhere. Do they really want him back if they need to rebuild?

The Lakers could add a future first rounder if necessary, and maybe try to get Lopez coming over to back up the 5. (Phoenix has Gortat as their primary 5).

Thoughts?

I'm also hearing that the Nets believe they can sign Dwight outright in the offseason, without having to give anything up, which significantly lowers the Magic's bargaining power. A team who trades for Dwight before March 15 inherits his Bird rights, so can offer a 5 year deal with 7.5% annual raises as opposed to a 4 year deal with 4.5% raises for a "new" team he may choose to simply sign with as a FA.

So maybe Bynum, MWP, Barnes and a pick for Dwight and Hedo (as long as we had assurances that he will resign with us) may not be too far fetched after all.

I'd also offer Luke (who does expire after next season) and maybe Fish or Blake, along with a first rounder, to the Bucks for SJax.

1- Nash, Fish/Blake/GLoc
2- Kobe, Kopono
3- SJax, Hedo
4- Scola, McBob, Murphy
5- Dwight, Lopez

I like the Nash, Scola idea. Im not sure the latter part is realistic tho. but hey, if they can get Dwight, then so be it.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:05 AM   #3
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The first one definitely looks good on paper. I just don't know how Kobe will do though if he were to go from the primary ball-handler to secondary. I think that has always been a question. We have not seen Kobe NOT be the primary ball-handler throughout his career. Maybe the first couple seasons, but that did not really count very much when he was averaging single digit points. As great as Nash is with getting everyone involved, etc, he also has a major weakness: defense..

Then there is always the age factor. How long does he realistically have in the nba? longer than Pau? probably not.. I like Nash but it is just a tough nail to bite right now to pull such a big deal off. Remember - defense is currently an issue from our PGs just as much as the lack of consistency. Will Nash do anything to change that defensive image of our pg??
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Steve Nash is exactly what this team needs. However, Dwight Howard is a better long-term investment. So.....
Houston: gets Pau
Orlando: gets Bynum, Kevin Martin, 1st rd from Knicks, 1st rd from Lakers, dump Turkeyglu, and a piece to make the math work.
Lakers: get Howard, Turkeyglu, Scola, Goran Drajic (who is very good, btw).
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #5
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robster89
Saw this elsewhere.

Thoughts?

1- Nash, Fish/Blake/GLoc
2- Kobe, Kopono
3- SJax, Hedo
4- Scola, McBob, Murphy
5- Dwight, Lopez

This is all some great stuff

I'd be very happy with any of the scenarios, no doubt we'd be a better team.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: