Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-09-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Queston about World Peace

My co-worker and I had a heated debate about MWP.
I said the Lakers should by all means put a stop and prohibit him from taking any more 3pt shots. He is currently shooting a dismal 17% from beyond 24 feet. In thier last loss to the Sixers he took 4 only made 1, loss to the Bucks he took 5 also made one.
With the current lineup where they have 2 efficient big mean and Kobe but with very limited pg, they are forced to "grind it out" dictate a very slow tempo, hence the possesions are very limited.
It is obvious that other teams have chosen to sag down and clog the lanes for Bynum, Pau and Kobe and most of the time used Peace' defender to rove and help out on Kobe.
Marv Albert would repeately say there's always a reason why certain players were left open. In contrast, legit shooters like Korver, Allen, Durant had to rely on screens to get open....
My co-worker said, it's a stupid idea, that Peace should continue firing until he finds he range. In fairness, MWP has a modest career ave of 35%, but my counter argument is that while this stat is good, his career playoff average is a paltry 30%, that's when the chips are down, defenses are much better etc. I pointed out how he almost single handedly destroyed his teams (Houston's) fate by taking 6 of this 10 shots in the pivotal 7th game vs the Lakers.
Im not saying they should bench Peace but suggested that they use him differently, like ask him to provide picks or cut accordingly when he is playing with Bynum etc.I think his biggest strength right now is his ability to bully his defender down low but Im cognizant that he can't do this with Bynum, Kobe on the court but I strongly feel he should go back to the bench and play more with a center like Murphy so he can post up more.
so, what do you guys think?

Last edited by tamaraw08 : 02-09-2012 at 06:22 PM.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
lakersNUMBA1
I hit open 5-footers

lakersNUMBA1 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Queston about World Peace

First off: Ron Artest > MWP

Second: I personally would rather have him shooting 3's than dribbling the ball towards the hoop. Every time I see him dribble, I know he's going to do something stupid with it. I say give it time he will hopefully come up big when needed. His role seems to have changed a lil more because of Coach Brown as well.. so you can't really expect much from him - other than defense (which he hasn't done all that great this year)

Quick fact: According to his stats this year, he is averaging 0.6 steals a game and his career is 1.9 - it could be due to the fact that he's not starting, but he hasn't really shown his aggressive defense like he usually does. So let's hope that tonight against Boston he comes up big on both ends.

Last edited by lakersNUMBA1 : 02-09-2012 at 07:51 PM.
lakersNUMBA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Metta needs to find his shooting range during practice, not practice during the game. Those backboards must be strong to handle his bricks

But seriously.....the Lakers may soon use that amnesty clause on him.......maybe if they mentioned it to him it would light a fire under his butt.......of course it would help to have armed security guards in the room
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Metta needs to find his shooting range during practice, not practice during the game. Those backboards must be strong to handle his bricks

But seriously.....the Lakers may soon use that amnesty clause on him.......maybe if they mentioned it to him it would light a fire under his butt.......of course it would help to have armed security guards in the room

The amnesty thing is finished for the season now. If we cut him now, we wouldn't be saving any cash.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

For Metta to be this bad offensively, it has to be a combination of things, I mean, he is also struggling big time from the FT line.
Chuck Person wanted to take credit for Kobe last year for re-inventing his shooting form etc, where is he now? btw, Bynum should also consult a shooting guru from the FT line bec he is missing like 3-6 FTs per game.
About using the amnesty clause, I now it's moot now per Freak but I still like Metta's defense, I mean it's no coincidence that Pierce only found his rhythm when Metta was on the bench. I think he would be vital in defending the likes of Durant, Wallace etc. Im still scratching my head tho on why they didn't amnestied Luke.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
For Metta to be this bad offensively, it has to be a combination of things, I mean, he is also struggling big time from the FT line.
Chuck Person wanted to take credit for Kobe last year for re-inventing his shooting form etc, where is he now? btw, Bynum should also consult a shooting guru from the FT line bec he is missing like 3-6 FTs per game.
About using the amnesty clause, I now it's moot now per Freak but I still like Metta's defense, I mean it's no coincidence that Pierce only found his rhythm when Metta was on the bench. I think he would be vital in defending the likes of Durant, Wallace etc. Im still scratching my head tho on why they didn't amnestied Luke.

Metta definitely still brings things to the table that I wouldn't amnesty over. He's too valuable a guy to just amnesty. The amnesty should be used for players who contribute either too little, to nothing, i.e. Luke, Fish, etc.

Plus on a selfish note, MWP is always making me laugh. he's just so weird, and he does things out there that make me laugh and ask "whyyyy would he do that". Its always fun to poke at ron-ron. He needs to change his name back though. Not feeling this MWP thing anymore.
Old 02-11-2012, 11:24 PM   #7
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
The amnesty thing is finished for the season now. If we cut him now, we wouldn't be saving any cash.

WRONG......we would be saving money for this season which is not half over yet and for 2 years after that. Metta's contract runs through the end of the 2013/2014 season.

Walton becomes an expirer next season making it possible to trade him finally.....this is likely WHY he's still on the team.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:24 AM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
WRONG......we would be saving money for this season which is not half over yet and for 2 years after that. Metta's contract runs through the end of the 2013/2014 season.

Walton becomes an expirer next season making it possible to trade him finally.....this is likely WHY he's still on the team.

What I am saying is, if we cut him not, we cant use the amnesty. The amnesty rule is done with for the season. Why else haven't the clipps amnestied chauncey after his injury?
Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
$LakerGold
|Ronda☆Mir|

$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
What I am saying is, if we cut him not, we cant use the amnesty. The amnesty rule is done with for the season. Why else haven't the clipps amnestied chauncey after his injury?
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: