Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default The Dunk Contest is still necessary...

People say every dunk has been done already, but I haven't seen this before on the grand stage of All-Star Weekend.

Damnnn!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=...8&feature=fvwp
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Dunk Contest is still necessary...

It's boring. It had it's time and now it's time to move on to something a little more creative or something. An entire contest that revolves around the easiest shot in basketball only has so long a shelf life.

Spontaneous slam dunks in a game situation are exciting, pre planned dunks are not
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
It's boring. It had it's time and now it's time to move on to something a little more creative or something. An entire contest that revolves around the easiest shot in basketball only has so long a shelf life.

Spontaneous slam dunks in a game situation are exciting, pre planned dunks are not
I respectfully disagree on most levels. As I say in every thread regarding the dunk contest's proposed demise, I do not understand why it's always the first to go, while most naysayers seem content with the Shooting Stars Competition (featuring out of shape retirees struggling), the Skills Competition (where players jog at half speed around the court), and the 3 Point Shootout (which is always just guys shooting spot up jumpers). I enjoy watching all the competitions, I just don't see why the dunk contest gets singled out as if it's the only thing on All-Star Saturday that isn't absolutely magnificent and riveting every year.

I also disagree with the notion that dunks are the easiest shot in basketball. I'd say they're the highest percentage shot, but not the easiest. That is to say, if someone can comfortably dunk, then once they were able to put themselves in position to do so it'd have a good chance of going in. However, most people in the world cannot dunk, hence there's a bit of a "forbidden fruit" aspect to the contest. It's players attempting to perform things on a basketball court most of us can only dream of, because dunking is not easy.

I also disagree that pre-planned dunks are not exciting. In fact, I would count watching Vince Carter's dunk contest performance in 2000 as one of the most exciting moments of NBA basketball I've ever seen. On a lesser level, Jason Richardson and others were able to provide similar feelings.

The dunk contest will always have down years. And when the league shoots itself in the leg by lowering the number of competitors to four, eliminating judges, reducing the contest to one round, introducing a host, and encouraging terrible skits and gimmicks, the contest will suffer longer than normal. However, assuming the NBA continues on the right track in adjusting their contest back to normal rules and regulations, it'll only be a matter of time before our next Vince Carter moment. And the fact that those moments are so rare is what makes them special.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 03-11-2013 at 06:16 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I would count watching Vince Carter's dunk contest performance in 2000 as one of the most exciting moments of NBA basketball I've ever seen.
Me too but that was 13 years ago. It's become a dwindling commodity. Just look at the participants. For the most part it's become the realm of players that wouldn't be at the allstar weekend at all if it wasn't for the dunk contest.

It used to be the contest of stars, now it's the contest of players half the crowd has never heard of
Old 03-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Me too but that was 13 years ago. It's become a dwindling commodity. Just look at the participants. For the most part it's become the realm of players that wouldn't be at the allstar weekend at all if it wasn't for the dunk contest.

It used to be the contest of stars, now it's the contest of players half the crowd has never heard of
Well, to be honest, the dunk contest has a history of welcoming players of all skill levels - this isn't just a recent phenomenon. I understand some people need stars to be contestants, but I'm someone who just needs NBA players who can dunk very well.

Still, for as long as the contest has been around, it's always had its share of stars, young guns, and no-names. After all, while past champions include the likes of Michael Jordan, Dominique Wilkins, and Vince Carter, they also include Dee Brown, Kenny Walker, and Cedric Ceballos.

Moreover, there's actually been some pretty notable names in the contest over the past years. Blake Griffin, Gerald Wallace, Dwight Howard, J.R. Smith, Rudy Gay, Josh Smith, Andre Iguodala, and Amar'e Stoudemire to name a few.

I just think if a player can do dunk contest dunks, they should be able to perform. If they show out, they'll earn respect and viewers will go home happy, whether they're stars or not. Had Eric Bledsoe made each of his dunks on the first attempt, I do not believe people would have refused to enjoy his performance just because his name wasn't LeBron James. Many players have actually used the contest as a big leap toward becoming stars, if not skills-wise, at least in popularity (which is likely the sole reason Dee Brown and Harold Miner are still a household name to most basketball fans).
Old 03-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
tmacattack33
NBA rookie of the year

tmacattack33 has not been impressing people

Their are a large number of dunks never done before in a dunk contest that are possible.

360 + between the legs
Windmill + free throw line
Vince Carter elbow + windmill
720 (or even 540)

Any of those dunks would bring down the house at a dunk contest...and they have been done by Air Up There, James White (when he was younger and wasn't nervous), and others. So they are possible.
tmacattack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
elementally morale
College superstar

elementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Me too but that was 13 years ago. It's become a dwindling commodity.

You got older. That's it.
elementally morale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:07 PM   #8
Trentknicks
Banned

Trentknicks is a pretty well-respected posterTrentknicks is a pretty well-respected posterTrentknicks is a pretty well-respected poster

Next year scrap the 1 minute rule and let guys have a reasonable time to complete it without pressure.

Also add Vince Carter and Kobe in the dunk contest against 2 of the younger guys to increase interest.

The 3pt shootout should have 2 youngers guys then give Reggie Miller and Steve Kerr a chance to compete against them.

Much more fun all round and people will watch.
Trentknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
SourPatchKids
Banned

SourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSourPatchKids is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Gimmicks are fine, as long as they aren't lame. Lately there has been plenty of lame gimmicks..
SourPatchKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #10
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Also, the words "Nick", "dunk", "Cannon", and "contest" should never be mentioned in the same sentence together.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #11
flipogb
Banned

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

all they need is to have 3 rounds instead of 2 and have more dunkers the biggest problem is the small sample size. the more dunks there are, the more chances of something great
flipogb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #12
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year

Kurosawa0 has no real reputation yet.

People just make too big of a deal about it. It's not an important staple of the NBA season.
Kurosawa0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #13
Solid Snake
Local High School Star

Solid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong waySolid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Scrap the dunk contest in favor of a one on one tournament elimination contest.
Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
Nebraskanball
Gimme Worthy over LBJ.

Nebraskanball has an OK reputation so far

The best dunkers (Lebron) are afraid they might miss a dunk on TV. An NBA dunk contest is pretty lame when the NBA stars are a bunch of females (Lebron).
Nebraskanball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #15
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementally morale

You got older. That's it.

To be honest I've never thought much of it. I could appreciate more when you had stars doing things that we never saw in game. Now the in game dunks by the best in the league are better than the one's in the dunk contest by a bunch of no names. I put it on par with the Harlem Globetrotters, an aspect of basketball but not real basketball and since I enjoy basketball for the competition...

As far as stars being in the contest What was it this year? one guy was a starter, the rest come off the bench for their teams. I mean when you have Shaq referring to the contestants as "what's his name" you got problems
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: