Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 01-08-2012, 02:07 PM   #1
skan72
Deep dick pizza

skan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Michael Jordan's oldest leaves Central Florida

MJ's oldest son, Jeff Jordan, who walked-on at Illinois and played 3 seasons for them before transferring to Central Florida, where his younger brother Marcus stars, has left the team for personal reasons.

Playing in the shadow of his father and brother reasons maybe?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...l?sct=cb_t2_a3
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
O.J A 6'4Mamba
Power32 (OJ Mayo)

O.J A 6'4Mamba posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryO.J A 6'4Mamba posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Michael Jordan's oldest leaves Central Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by skan72
MJ's oldest son, Jeff Jordan, who walked-on at Illinois and played 3 seasons for them before transferring to Central Florida, where his younger brother Marcus stars, has left the team for personal reasons.

Playing in the shadow of his father and brother reasons maybe?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...l?sct=cb_t2_a3

Jeff is a great athlete, but lacks a lot of basketball skills/talent/ability. He has been getting by being MJ's son. He is a 6'1 SG that can't really score
O.J A 6'4Mamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.J A 6'4Mamba
Jeff is a great athlete, but lacks a lot of basketball skills/talent/ability. He has been getting by being MJ's son. He is a 6'1 SG that can't really score
You've got the brothers confused.

Jeff is the one who is a fundementally sound player, who is an average athlete. He was never cut out for major D1 basketball at Illinois and should've spent his career actually developing at a mid-major program. He gets on the floor and plays with 0 aggresiveness on offense, but makes up fot it with his defensive effort.

Marcus is the one who is a great athlete but lacks a consistent jumper to be a SG or handle to be a PG.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
You've got the brothers confused.

Jeff is the one who is a fundementally sound player, who is an average athlete. He was never cut out for major D1 basketball at Illinois and should've spent his career actually developing at a mid-major program. He gets on the floor and plays with 0 aggresiveness on offense, but makes up fot it with his defensive effort.

Marcus is the one who is a great athlete but lacks a consistent jumper to be a SG or handle to be a PG.

No he has it right. I'm an Illinois fan and I'd back that. He is a great athlete. He's pulled off spectacular dunks, he's fast, and he's quick, and he's got good strength.

However, outside of that it was a problem. He was a pretty decent defender because of his quickness and strength, but he couldn't really handle the ball, his jumper was terrible, and he just never really developed any sort of consistency.

He's professional though. It seems like more so than Marcus, and he conducts himself very well in interviews. I don't really know if Jeff ever really loved basketball because I didn't see a reason why he didn't become better.

Wish him the best, seems like a good kid.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Snoop_Cat
Banned

Snoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSnoop_Cat is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three
No he has it right. I'm an Illinois fan and I'd back that. He is a great athlete. He's pulled off spectacular dunks, he's fast, and he's quick, and he's got good strength.

However, outside of that it was a problem. He was a pretty decent defender because of his quickness and strength, but he couldn't really handle the ball, his jumper was terrible, and he just never really developed any sort of consistency.

He's professional though. It seems like more so than Marcus, and he conducts himself very well in interviews. I don't really know if Jeff ever really loved basketball because I didn't see a reason why he didn't become better.

Wish him the best, seems like a good kid

I wondered the same, I felt that a lot of it was him being pressured as a result of being MJ's son.

I feel bad for him, a lot of people put unrealistic pressure on him because of his lineage and when he stopped playing ball, the national media feels the need to make a story out of it. It's not that big of a deal
Snoop_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #6
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation

Yeah I think dude was an athlete, but he was just not good at his job. Like you said, he's a 6'1 SG. He can't push the point. He can't hit a jumper, but supposedly he has a pretty good vert.

I know it sounds stupid to say this, but if you give someone that body plus the hype of being MJ's son (that will open doors for you because a team will let you play just to have the extra media attention) and they love basketball, they are gonna be a good player. That kid was a disappointment. Every once in awhile he'd play good defense, but really he look scared out there. He didn't look like he wanted to be a good player or have responsibility.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:48 AM   #7
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The phrase "street hunger" is one of the stupidest things ever, but this is one of the handful of scenarios I really think it would've come in useful.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:49 AM   #8
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
Yeah I think dude was an athlete, but he was just not good at his job. Like you said, he's a 6'1 SG. He can't push the point. He can't hit a jumper, but supposedly he has a pretty good vert.

I know it sounds stupid to say this, but if you give someone that body plus the hype of being MJ's son (that will open doors for you because a team will let you play just to have the extra media attention) and they love basketball, they are gonna be a good player. That kid was a disappointment. Every once in awhile he'd play good defense, but really he look scared out there. He didn't look like he wanted to be a good player or have responsibility.

-Smak
Just because your daddy was the best athlete in basketball doesn't necessarily mean it will be passed down to you.

Juanita's (iirc) genes might be strong in them as well.

They might work hard and train hard but just not be top level basketball players. This might be their ceiling.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
Just because your daddy was the best athlete in basketball doesn't necessarily mean it will be passed down to you.

They might work hard and train hard but just not be top level basketball players. This might be their ceiling.

But what genes did MJ parents have where he became arguably the greatest player in the NBA?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 AM   #10
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

ILLsmak has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter

lol, but he is an athlete. Like I said dude has an amazing vert. He's just undersized and refused to accept himself as a PG. His basketball skills were shit. You can say that about other players, but this dude really did get high-level athleticism.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:15 PM   #11
nathanjizzle
OG

nathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these partsnathanjizzle has an EXTREMELY bad reputation around these parts

y would they want to play basketball anyway
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLsmak
lol, but he is an athlete. Like I said dude has an amazing vert. He's just undersized and refused to accept himself as a PG. His basketball skills were shit. You can say that about other players, but this dude really did get high-level athleticism.

-Smak
Understood. But it's not as easy to develop that skill at the level of pro. Some people practice and practice and don't have it. You act like he's supposed to be good enough because he;s Jordan's son and that's not entirely realistic.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:39 PM   #13
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
But what genes did MJ parents have where he became arguably the greatest player in the NBA?

Idk but it was obviously not enough to give to all the kids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJAIyXQ5wNU

His brother was 5'8" with nasty hops but still couldn't turn himself into an all-star.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:05 PM   #14
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Marcus seems like a pretty decent player actually from what I've seen, never seen this guy (his brother) play.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #15
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wang4three

Wish him the best, seems like a good kid.

I guess I didn't watch enough Illinois games when he was there, because I just never saw any of that athletic ability. Whenever he came into the game he didn't stand out to me at all from a skill or athletic standpoint, in fact he looked outmatched playing against Big 10 backcourt players.

To me it seems like he'd have been better off going ahead to a MVC or Horizon Conference school in which he'd be facing players his level and that would give him some confidence in his game. I think he got torched by either Eric Gordon or Derrick Rose in HS on national TV, and that should've told him he needed to stick to the mid-major level.

I agree with the other dude in that Jeff lacked street hunger. Everything handed to him, and he doesn't have that drive that other players have to constantly prove themselves against "better players" because they're not scared of a challenge.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: