Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #16
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Toronto Offering Wilson Chandler Big Contract?

I don't mind the move. As long as his contract isn't insane or anything. Wilson is a good player...
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #17
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

he will be used in a push for us to make the playoffs next year. BC is going to do maneuvers this year.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:24 PM   #18
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
he will be used in a push for us to make the playoffs next year. BC is going to do maneuvers this year.
I truly think Colangelo is going to do everything he can to get this team into the playoffs next year and create this illusion of a team on the rise much like when they won the division. And unless Valanciunas and the upcoming draft pick are stars, it will definitely be nothing more than an illusion.

Get ready for upcoming years where the Raptors will be touted as a "potential 2nd round team". The excitement is overwhelming!
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
TMAC-RAPTORS
Sharpshooter

TMAC-RAPTORS is considered somewhat coolTMAC-RAPTORS is considered somewhat cool

Next year:

PG- Calderon/Bayless
SG- Derozan/Draft Pick?/Barbosa
SF- Chandler/Johnson
PF- Bargnani/Amir
C- Val/Gray

Pretty solid, i can live with this team. And if we get lucky in the draft and end up with top 2 pick, we can take Davis/Drummond and flip Bargs or Val and Derozan + Davis for an all-star SG.

This team would probably be pretty solid in the east. Boston, Atlanta, Orlando are not going to get any better if anything start declining due to age/players lost. I can see this team being behind just Chicago and Miami while hanging in there with Indy, Phili, and New york.
TMAC-RAPTORS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #20
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

^^ that doesn't sound like a team with a lot of depth. If we flip Val/DD for an all-star SG, then we're still missing that solid defensive/rebounding PF/C that we've been looking for. And chances of getting an all-star SG for Bargnani alone are slim to none IMO. While I feel we are in a good position to make moves, I don't trust the guy in charge to make the right ones.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 08:54 PM   #21
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

I don't think Wilson Chandler is a worthwhile move. He may make the team very slightly better, but nowhere close to being a playoff team. In fact I really can't imagine how this team is supposed to make the playoffs next year, they're just nowhere near good enough now and I don't know what moves Colangelo could make to get them to be good enough. No awesome free agents are coming and there's little to no chance of a trade bringing in the top-25 level player that would probably be the minimum required as a playoff franchise player. I guess the only way would be for at least one of our rookies next year to be a superstar straight away, but they'd have to be really good; even Blake Griffin last year couldn't get arguably a better collection of talent close to the playoffs.

I don't think the Raptors should be going all-out to get to the playoffs next year. But if they were to try, what kind of moves could get them there?
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #22
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

I wouldn't worry. It looks like Chandler is just using Toronto to force Denver's hand. If he doesn't get signed before March 1 he will be committed to Denver if he wants to play (and get paid) this year. Even then, they can just sign him for the remainder of the season and he will still be restricted next off-season.

If he can get a big contract from Toronto than Denver will likely match and Chandler gets his big contract. The interesting thing will be if the raptors actually trade barbosa or calderon for nothing just to create cap space to make the offer. Then we will likely lose an asset for nothing.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #23
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

defensive minded hard nosed players are hard to come by

mediocrity? you tell me one player available right now that'll help us at the 3

and people here are acting as if this will actually happen

this is his AGENT releasing this info, he's clearly tryna get a better deal with denver
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #24
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz
defensive minded hard nosed players are hard to come by

mediocrity? you tell me one player available right now that'll help us at the 3

and people here are acting as if this will actually happen

this is his AGENT releasing this info, he's clearly tryna get a better deal with denver

well, not just his agent releasing info. Chandler was actually in toronto a couple days ago. I'm sure it is just to get a better deal with Denver in the end, but obviously toronto is very interested in trying.

the only thing I could see working is if we clear cap space by trading jose or barbosa for an exception (maybe to la) and offer chandler a huge contract that they don't want to match. If we can clear barbosa we could offer a contract starting at close to 12 million. if we can clear calderon it would be about 14 million. i don't think denver matches at that price considering they are already committed to Gallinari and affialo at 18 combined. But I don't think we want chandler eating that much of our team's salary.
He is definitely a big upgrade for us and would probably be the best player on our team.

the other possibility is we sign him for the rest of the season, denver will match, but then he becomes unrestricted next season. Maybe we can get him then, but he will also have more options at that point and is less likely to sign with us.

It will be an interesting week at least as I'm sure this will be resolved by March 1.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: