Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #46
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Where should Kenyon Martin sign? Decision may be soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basketbolero
No, they are not. Clippers are a nice destination right now: LA, good young team... but let's not go overboard. Veterans would still rather sign for a surefire contender if they now they can get any playing time.

Reggie Evans is ok, good rebounder, not really a difference maker, just a journey man really, and you are using him to prove that guys want to play there?

You talked to these guys? Logic suggests there are multiple factors. Location, chance to contend, playing time, roster composition and pay. Clippers trump any team on the planet when you combine all of those things.

No other team can offer him 20-30 minutes a night, 3 million a year, location he loves (where his home is) AND a chance to contend in the near future if not now. It's that simple.

Last edited by Clippersfan86 : 02-01-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Clippersfan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #47
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Do the Nuggets still have free agent Bird rights with Smith and Martin?

If so, then Denver could do a sign and trade for both players, which would increase teams available for them to sign with.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #48
Basketbolero
Local High School Star

Basketbolero has decent reputationBasketbolero has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
You talked to these guys? Logic suggests there are multiple factors. Location, chance to contend, playing time, roster competition and pay. Clippers trump any team on the planet when you combine all of those things.

No other team can offer him 20-30 minutes a night, 3 million a year, location he loves (where his home is) AND a chance to contend in the near future if not now. It's that simple.
Yep, I talked to them just like you talked to those superstars lining up to play for your team... Check some recent NBA history and you will see why I said that. I am not hating on the Clippers, it is just the way it has been. As a Bulls fan I would much rather see guys like Martin head to LA than to Florida but I have to be realistic.

I really don't see Martin fitting with them anyway, would he play extended minutes alongside Blake or what?
Basketbolero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #49
Clippersfan86
Banned

Clippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation hereClippersfan86 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Yep, I talked to them just like you talked to those superstars lining up to play for your team... Check some recent NBA history and you will see why I said that. I am not hating on the Clippers, it is just the way it has been. As a Bulls fan I would much rather see guys like Martin head to LA than to Florida but I have to be realistic.

I really don't see Martin fitting with them anyway, would he play extended minutes alongside Blake or what?

Look at the depth chart. Evans is the only capable big off the bench. Then it's Solomon Jones and Brian Cook . Lately they are having to play 3 or 4 guard lineups as a result. Adding Kenyon means they can use Evans+Kenyon (both very good role players) to hold a lead instead of using shitty Cook or Jones.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #50
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Look at the depth chart. Evans is the only capable big off the bench. Then it's Solomon Jones and Brian Cook . Lately they are having to play 3 or 4 guard lineups as a result. Adding Kenyon means they can use Evans+Kenyon (both very good role players) to hold a lead instead of using shitty Cook or Jones.

If he's willing to come off the bench, then the Clippers is a good place for him. He'll get a lot of minutes as a reserve.

If he wants to start, he can come to Atlanta. He will get Al Horford's minutes, who is out due to injury.

It depends on what he wants to do.
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #51
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkfan
If he's willing to come off the bench, then the Clippers is a good place for him. He'll get a lot of minutes as a reserve.

If he wants to start, he can come to Atlanta. He will get Al Horford's minutes, who is out due to injury.

It depends on what he wants to do.

Hawks can use him too. Heat definitely don't need him. They have the best backup PF in the game arguably in Haslem. He's similar to Haslem... physical scrapper who will rebound, play D and hit wide open jumper. It's a bit repetitive.

Clippers and Hawks are the best choice IMO if he wants all of the things I mentioned. Clippers can pay him more though and he already lives in LA which is why I predicted Clippers.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:39 PM   #52
Basketbolero
Local High School Star

Quote:
Yep, Evans can guard some centers though and is a bit stronger than Martin. I just don't see Martin taking on a role where he knows he is going to have to play out of position and does not have that much of a chance of making it to the Finals (even you would agree that they are a couple fo years away from getting to where OKC is right now).

Clips are better off trying to get Przybilla or any other half-decent big body in my opinion.

Then again, with Lakers and Magic imploding, there are not many post-up threats out there playing for a contending team, so size may become less important in the playoffs than previous years
Old 02-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #53
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

No matter who he signs with, he will play 20 mpg and average 7/5 while missing games.
He would be handy on the Heat for 15-18 mpg at the 4 and 5. To say otherwise is absurd. Heat need depth at the 4/5. Although we may end up with vanilla gorilla.

Last edited by G-train : 02-01-2012 at 06:44 PM.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #54
Clippersfan86
Banned

Quote:
Yep, Evans can guard some centers though and is a bit stronger than Martin. I just don't see Martin taking on a role where he knows he is going to have to play out of position and does not have that much of a chance of making it to the Finals (even you would agree that they are a couple fo years away from getting to where OKC is right now).

Clips are better off trying to get Przybilla or any other half-decent big body in my opinion.

Then again, with Lakers and Magic imploding, there are not many post-up threats out there playing for a contending team, so size may become less important in the playoffs than previous years

I don't think they are a couple years from WCF and the level of OKC. They have veterans that OKC lacks leading the team. Paul+Billups+Butler are HUGE additions in terms of experience and knowing to close out games. I think this year 2nd round exit team, next year WCF to be honest.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #55
Basketbolero
Local High School Star

Quote:
I don't think they are a couple years from WCF and the level of OKC. They have veterans that OKC lacks leading the team. Paul+Billups+Butler are HUGE additions in terms of experience and knowing to close out games. I think this year 2nd round exit team, next year WCF to be honest.
OKC have Perkins, Collison and, to a minor degre, mostly for his defense, Sefolosha.

Clippers veterans are good, but Chauncey and Butler are declining, the former especially, and may not even be in the team next season. The development of Deandre Jordan as their defensive anchor will be key for them, which is why I see them 2 years from being at OKC level, WCF is up for grabs so they could even make it this year with a bit of luck.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #56
TMT
#1 Spurs Fan

TMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation hereTMT has an incredible reputation here

Martin should consider a 1 year contract in San Antonio and help give Duncan one last run. Then after the short season he can sign with whoever is hot next year. Clips, Heat, Thunder, wherever Dwight goes.
TMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 07:52 PM   #57
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong wayXiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Looks like Pryzbilla to the Heat or Bulls. Heat makes most sense if playing time is a factor. Kenyon probably wouldn't go there if Pryzbilla does.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: