Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-01-2012, 12:03 AM   #1
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert

kobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation here
Default Mike Brown and on the road losing streak

Other than players and no great player at the PG to help out, what do you guys think is the problem?

Personally I think it is partly Mike Brown's fault for not recognizing other aspects to help make situation better. Between him and Phil, they would pull or put in guys at different time and even who to match up or mitigate a situation.

On last barely win game between LAL vs MIN game, near the last 5 min in the 4th qtr where they were bleeding purple leading points like crazy with all the other high flying guys around. We had 2 slow elephants (Bynum and Gasol), Kobe, Fisher, and Peace on the court. On the Min side they had Love, Beasley, Rubio, Webster, and Pekovic. Obviously on that matchup, our guys were much slower than MIN. If your players keep losing for like 12 points in a row due to speed...be it offensive rebound, rotate, etc, then he should have put at least 1 or 2 fast guy back in there to match up with speed to the other side. Don't have to leave them all there just because they were starters. I see sometime Phil would throw in some rookie like Brown or Sasha to match up with the other side speed and energy once a while to spice the moment up when things seem lethargic or not working out there. Mike Brown should have done the same. I think he focus on other details and forget the other basic. I guess that's the difference between PJax and other coaches...the right selection and matching of your game pieces at the right time to deal with situation.

Because he is playing Kobe for lots of minutes and Goudelock was hospitalized for dehydration...it makes me wonder if his many loss is because he overworked them on the road or have normal practice schedule on the road or close to it? I remember on the road, Phil tends to have less practice hours. It make sense, since guys were already tired from all the timezone shift and tired just being on the plane or bus...he shouldn't have a normal or close to normal practice schedule with the guys and let them rest and relax more like Zen PJ does watching movie, meditate, reading books, some hours of practice and all that stuff. What do you guys think?
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Mike Brown and on the road losing streak

Mike Brown is not the person playing defense on all 5 opponents on the floor. His defensive philosophy has always been the same, and it is up to the players to respond to these situations. When big leads were given up, Phil would leave them, because he coaches them in practice, so in the games he wanted them to figure it out. Mike Brown definitely calls a lot more timeouts and tries to make adjustments on both ends of the ball. Its up to the players to carry it out.

In regards to overworking his players. The lakers, and the 29 other teams BARELY PRACTICE!!! The season is so shortened and yet so compacted, which results in quicker fatigue. Goudelock is a rookie, not used to this NBA lifestyle yet, but he will get there. This is going to take lots of time to get used to. Probably even a full season, and a training camp. This is not a championship team, as I have repeatedly mentioned.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

I agree with Kobesabi on this. Not only do the Lakers practice more often than the other teams but they practice longer than the other teams.
This is an issue I addressed before the season started, I said they would risk more fatigue and injuries and I compared it to how Pat Riley overworked the Lakers before the finals in 1989 causing injuries to Magic and Scott, major soreness to Worthy and Kareem.
Brown doesn't seem to get it. To his credit he has given some days off but this is likely due to pressure from??? But still his practices are too long.

All teams practice differently, no one can use a blanket statement as to what teams do or how they practice.
Jerry Sloan had the shortest practices 45 minutes exactly......not a minute more, not a minute less, it was timed......whereas Brown is a 3 hour guy. Teams do their own thing so a 45 minute practice 3 times a week is far less tiring than a 3 hour practice twice a week......got it?

Last edited by DKLaker : 02-01-2012 at 01:07 PM.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
In regards to overworking his players. The lakers, and the 29 other teams BARELY PRACTICE!!! The season is so shortened and yet so compacted, which results in quicker fatigue. Goudelock is a rookie, not used to this NBA lifestyle yet, but he will get there. This is going to take lots of time to get used to. Probably even a full season, and a training camp. This is not a championship team, as I have repeatedly mentioned.
This is true.
Lakers had their first full practice since the start of the season last week.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
DKLaker

The word "FULL" can be used a myriad of ways, in the case of the Lakers practice last week FULL meant FULL CONTACT.....and had absolutely nothing to do with length. The Lakers have had 3 hour practices which were exhausting......these were FULL practices but not Full Contact.

Full can be used to mean;

Full Length

Full Contact

Full Squad

Full Offense

Full Defense

Among other things........again, Full is not an actual description or blanket statement.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I agree with Kobesabi on this. Not only do the Lakers practice more often than the other teams but they practice longer than the other teams.
This is an issue I addressed before the season started, I said they would risk more fatigue and injuries and I compared it to how Pat Riley overworked the Lakers before the finals in 1989 causing injuries to Magic and Scott, major soreness to Worthy and Kareem.
Brown doesn't seem to get it. To his credit he has given some days off but this is likely due to pressure from??? But still his practices are too long.

All teams practice differently, no one can use a blanket statement as to what teams do or how they practice.
Jerry Sloan had the shortest practices 45 minutes exactly......not a minute more, not a minute less, it was timed......whereas Brown is a 3 hour guy. Teams do their own thing so a 45 minute practice 3 times a week is far less tiring than a 3 hour practice twice a week......got it?

Can you find me any written evidence that the lakers are said to be practicing more than other teams?

The NBA rule is that teams can practice a maximum of 4 hours a day. They cannot exceed this.

And if what you are saying is true regarding practicing more often, it is probably because we have only had 1 back to back to back and will not have anymore, while other teams will still have them, and therefore require more breaks.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:18 AM   #7
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Mike Brown is not the person playing defense on all 5 opponents on the floor. His defensive philosophy has always been the same, and it is up to the players to respond to these situations. When big leads were given up, Phil would leave them, because he coaches them in practice, so in the games he wanted them to figure it out. Mike Brown definitely calls a lot more timeouts and tries to make adjustments on both ends of the ball. Its up to the players to carry it out.

Great points Freak. Mike Brown is in a predicament bec of this very limited practice time situation.
I was hoping that Mike would find a way to retain Jim Cleamons or Frank Hamblen so they can retain most of the concepts of the triangle= less time to adjust to a new offensive system so he can just focus more time in installing his defensive schemes. Right now, it seems like they have some very good ball movement but they rely heavily on Bynum's inside play, then just kick it out in the perimeter and pray that they will go in.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 AM   #8
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Can you find me any written evidence that the lakers are said to be practicing more than other teams?

The NBA rule is that teams can practice a maximum of 4 hours a day. They cannot exceed this.

And if what you are saying is true regarding practicing more often, it is probably because we have only had 1 back to back to back and will not have anymore, while other teams will still have them, and therefore require more breaks.

I also thought I heard Mike Brown saying that he is cognizant of the fact that he has older players and he is also worried about burned out and injuries so they usually do more film reviews instead of more actual practice times.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #9
DKLaker

Quote:

Hmmmm.....you must not know much about Mike Brown and how he does things....why not do some research........including how he said he will run the team and how long they will practice. Mike is a perfectionist.

Who said anything about more than 4 hours of practice in a day?
I said 3 hours in a day. I also used Jerry Sloan's 45 minute practices as an example of how teams/coaches vary.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:06 AM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Hmmmm.....you must not know much about Mike Brown and how he does things....why not do some research........including how he said he will run the team and how long they will practice. Mike is a perfectionist.

Who said anything about more than 4 hours of practice in a day?
I said 3 hours in a day. I also used Jerry Sloan's 45 minute practices as an example of how teams/coaches vary.

Jerry Sloan had nearly the same roster for years at a time. Malone and Stockton were the main pieces and had been there their entire careers. Deron Williams and Boozer were there for a long time as well.

Andrei Kerilinko also...

The man managed to keep the same core of players, who were already very comfortable in his system after some time. Bad example to compare that to this new lakers team, who traded lamar, benched world peace, drafted new players, and are playing new players, replaced shannon brown and signed Kapono, McRoberts, and Murphy, and for crying out loud, is trying to get over the distractions of the huge vetoed trade this off-season.

It had also been mentioned before that most of these meetings with the team are video sessions anyways. Its not like he's starving these guys until they get it right.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #11
DKLaker

Quote:
Jerry Sloan had nearly the same roster for years at a time. Malone and Stockton were the main pieces and had been there their entire careers. Deron Williams and Boozer were there for a long time as well.

Andrei Kerilinko also...

The man managed to keep the same core of players, who were already very comfortable in his system after some time. Bad example to compare that to this new lakers team, who traded lamar, benched world peace, drafted new players, and are playing new players, replaced shannon brown and signed Kapono, McRoberts, and Murphy, and for crying out loud, is trying to get over the distractions of the huge vetoed trade this off-season.

It had also been mentioned before that most of these meetings with the team are video sessions anyways. Its not like he's starving these guys until they get it right.

Ehhh........you do realize that Sloan just left last season right?
Now you tell me when Stockton retired and when Malone left

Sloan did the 45 minute thing his entire coaching career.

Don't be fooled, the Lakers have had tons of long REAL practices......not as many as Brown would like but if you look at my comments, (2) 3 hour practices per week. Mike would like this to be 5 per week so the others YES have been film sessions.....got it?
Old 02-02-2012, 02:54 PM   #12
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
I also thought I heard Mike Brown saying that he is cognizant of the fact that he has older players and he is also worried about burned out and injuries so they usually do more film reviews instead of more actual practice times.
You heard it right.
It's been well reported by those covering Lakers practices and by the players themselves that they have been doing a lot of film, a lot of low physical effort sessions. The coaching staff has made a great effort coordinating with the training staff to keep the players energy up for games and not using it in practice. Gary Vitti himself said he is busier this year than ever before working with the coaches to balance out how much time they limit the players to actual on the court practice time. The goal is to have fresh legs at the end of the season instead of burning them out now.
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Ehhh........you do realize that Sloan just left last season right?
Now you tell me when Stockton retired and when Malone left

Sloan did the 45 minute thing his entire coaching career.

Don't be fooled, the Lakers have had tons of long REAL practices......not as many as Brown would like but if you look at my comments, (2) 3 hour practices per week. Mike would like this to be 5 per week so the others YES have been film sessions.....got it?

lol from the amount of facepalm smilies you put, I feel like you're going too sweat and leave a mark.

What does Sloan leaving last season have to do with anything what I just said? My point in bringing up sloan was that throughout his coaching career, his team always had a core that they built around. A star point guard, and an above average low post player. By the way, if you ever listen to Steve Kerr in games where Sloan would coach, he said "the two most complex offenses in the NBA are sloan's offense, and the triangle offense". Do not expect me to believe that when his team is full of rookies, that he only had 45 minute practices. If that was the case, then I am sure the other several hours were video sessions and talks. You can't learn an offense like sloans in 45 minutes altogether of generalized stuff.

only 2 practices 3 hours a week? Thats actually not so bad. Now let me ask you, do you know what he does? Is he running his guys all practice? Or is he simply walking players through the plays?

Derek Fisher is 100 years old, and he's playing on most nights 30 minutes a game. Don't you think he would have been deceased by now if he was running full 3 hour full contact practices, and then starting for 30 minutes a game?
Old 02-03-2012, 01:29 AM   #14
DKLaker

Quote:
lol from the amount of facepalm smilies you put, I feel like you're going too sweat and leave a mark.

What does Sloan leaving last season have to do with anything what I just said? My point in bringing up sloan was that throughout his coaching career, his team always had a core that they built around. A star point guard, and an above average low post player. By the way, if you ever listen to Steve Kerr in games where Sloan would coach, he said "the two most complex offenses in the NBA are sloan's offense, and the triangle offense". Do not expect me to believe that when his team is full of rookies, that he only had 45 minute practices. If that was the case, then I am sure the other several hours were video sessions and talks. You can't learn an offense like sloans in 45 minutes altogether of generalized stuff.

only 2 practices 3 hours a week? Thats actually not so bad. Now let me ask you, do you know what he does? Is he running his guys all practice? Or is he simply walking players through the plays?

Derek Fisher is 100 years old, and he's playing on most nights 30 minutes a game. Don't you think he would have been deceased by now if he was running full 3 hour full contact practices, and then starting for 30 minutes a game?

Dude..........I have good friends who played for Sloan.........that is where I am getting this from!!!!! This is not open for any form of debate, this is fact.
Film Sloan was in his car at the 48th minute like clockwork if you really want to know. My friends absolutely love him, he was absolute no nonsense. The guys have told me a million stories.....I can't repeat, but one is of Karl Malone cowering in fear of Sloan's wrath Who would've thought???

Go read Brown's quotes....about his beliefs on practices. I'm tired of this subject. If guys don't want to listen to facts or don't understand what I wrote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #15
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Dude..........I have good friends who played for Sloan.........that is where I am getting this from!!!!! This is not open for any form of debate, this is fact.
Film Sloan was in his car at the 48th minute like clockwork if you really want to know. My friends absolutely love him, he was absolute no nonsense. The guys have told me a million stories.....I can't repeat, but one is of Karl Malone cowering in fear of Sloan's wrath Who would've thought???

Go read Brown's quotes....about his beliefs on practices. I'm tired of this subject. If guys don't want to listen to facts or don't understand what I wrote

Pics or it didn't happen
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: