Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
Rnbizzle
Banned

Rnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Taj Gibson

What is this guy's ceiling?

His career stats so far with the Bulls have been 8 points, 6 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 24 minutes. Can he become the starter in Boozer's place in a bunch of years?

Defensively he's already one of the best PF's in the game, how much better do you guys think he can get offensively?
Rnbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
1rkrage
Eyyy Sexy Lady

1rkrage has decent reputation
Default Re: Taj Gibson

he probably needs a midrange game first. he seems to often miss those gimmes. he plays bigger than boozer and noah down low though that's for sure.
1rkrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Rnbizzle
Banned

Rnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRnbizzle is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rkrage
he probably needs a midrange game first. he seems to often miss those gimmes. he plays bigger than boozer and noah down low though that's for sure.
I don't fully agree with you there, I don't have the stats but I think Taj is a pretty solid midrange shooter. If you look at Boozer, he's so streaky, he can make those tough fall away shots but he'll brick the easy ones plenty of times as well. With Taj I feel like when he gets shots which 'he should make', he normally makes them. He's not good at creating his own shot at this point but if he can some moves down low. While being consistent doing that, he can be one of the better PFs in the league, looking at both ends of the floor, if you ask me.
Rnbizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

You're pretty much seeing it.

With 30 minutes a game he's a 10-12/9-10 guy. Great leaper but not a great rebounder. Doesn't box out or fight for position consistently, relying instead on his jumping ability. Shot blocker who is a decent on ball defender.

An absolute liability with the ball in his hands. No court sense offensively, next smart pass in the halfcourt will be his first. Lousy FT shooter. Can't creat his own shot in any circumstance.

No way he replaces Boozer as a starter on that team as currently constructed. Can't afford to have both Noah and Gibson on the floor together for extended minutes without some kind of offensive presence in the post/midrange area.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
pegasus
€uroInU$A

pegasus is a pretty well-respected posterpegasus is a pretty well-respected posterpegasus is a pretty well-respected posterpegasus is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
You're pretty much seeing it.

With 30 minutes a game he's a 10-12/9-10 guy. Great leaper but not a great rebounder. Doesn't box out or fight for position consistently, relying instead on his jumping ability. Shot blocker who is a decent on ball defender.

An absolute liability with the ball in his hands. No court sense offensively, next smart pass in the halfcourt will be his first. Lousy FT shooter. Can't creat his own shot in any circumstance.

No way he replaces Boozer as a starter on that team as currently constructed. Can't afford to have both Noah and Gibson on the floor together for extended minutes without some kind of offensive presence in the post/midrange area.

Not sure if serious. Taj can play the high-low game with Asik and get an assist.
pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

That, and, Taj isn't really a leaper either.

He came into the league a bit long in the tooth so physical development might be a lot to ask but as far as becoming more seasoned I think he can get better. Hopefully we have the same sort of case as Booz/Milsap in Utah where Taj blossoms into Boozer's replacement at a lower salary.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #7
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus
Not sure if serious. Taj can play the high-low game with Asik and get an assist.

You're in Chicago, so I'm going to assume you see him more often than I do. "His first" was certainly hyperbole; I'm sure there's been an instance somewhere along the way where he's made a good pass.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:06 PM   #8
pegasus
€uroInU$A

pegasus is a pretty well-respected posterpegasus is a pretty well-respected posterpegasus is a pretty well-respected posterpegasus is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
You're in Chicago, so I'm going to assume you see him more often than I do. "His first" was certainly hyperbole; I'm sure there's been an instance somewhere along the way where he's made a good pass.

Well, he makes a few good passes every game. Not his strength, but he is definitely not known for poor court vision or being a turnover machine or anything.
pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:07 PM   #9
Rose
nanu nanu

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Well he did average 16-8 as a starter on the circus trip last year. Playing against guys like Pau, Dirk, and Scola. I think we could start him eventually if we had a star swingman. He's a pretty solid defender.
Rose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #10
JMT
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasus
Well, he makes a few good passes every game. Not his strength, but he is definitely not known for poor court vision or being a turnover machine or anything.

Averaging 0.6 assists and 1.0 TO in under 20 min played. Pretty close to his career averages.

Anyway, you can't have him starting when you already have Noah, which was the OP question.

Like both their games for what they are. Always a fan of guys who produce something positive without needing the ball or plays run for them. But you can't have two of those guys playing starters minutes.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:20 PM   #11
(e)
MJ of ISH *Brotherhood

(e) is a pretty well-respected poster(e) is a pretty well-respected poster(e) is a pretty well-respected poster(e) is a pretty well-respected poster

I think he could be a 15/10 guy for a lot of teams. Not too sure he could hit 10 boards on this Bulls team since we have Noah, Asik, and Deng who are all good rebounds.

Very few teams have a guy like Taj, let alone have him coming off the bench. Real solid player - but I think he's pretty much hit his ceiling. Obviously his numbers would improve with more minutes and more opportunities, but Taj is just a real solid player.
(e) is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: