Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

bsyde82 has decent reputation
Default The Niners & Peyton Manning

Yes or No?

Formerly in the no camp, but if (and I get it's a big if) Peyton says he can play, I say yes.

21 mil under the cap. I'm thinking Peyton would take significantly less money to play for a contender, so I'm envisioning aka dreaming of signing Peyton and one good FA WR.
bsyde82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #2
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The Niners & Peyton Manning

don't see the 49ers even considering
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

ClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation hereClutchOver9000 has an incredible reputation here

I say no because the I believe the Niners are committed to Smith at least for the time being...

which sucks for Niners fans if Peyton is indeed healthy because although Smith played great this year, that Niners defense with Peyton under center = SB LOCK and a sh!tload of trouble for the rest of the NFC...
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
don't see the 49ers even considering

how come?
Old 02-06-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyde82
how come?
financial reasons. They can fill the QB position for much less money than Peyton will demand.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #6
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
financial reasons. They can fill the QB position for much less money than Peyton will demand.

You think Peyton will demand top dollar though? At this stage in his career, and with Eli now one-upping him in the SB department, don't you think his sole motivation right now is to win and win NOW? If that means taking a bit less money, say $15 mil compared to $20+ mil, that wouldn't be unreasonable, would it?

I know he's got love for Eli and all that, but man, as the big bro, it's got to be fueling him to come back even harder right now, seeing the Eli parade going on and what not.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:42 PM   #7
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

So basically they are not signing their own free agents, just Peyton? I'd say chances of this are very small.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #8
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter

Scoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation hereScoooter has an incredible reputation here

Peyton on the 49ers would be scary. Legit running game, legit o-line, great defense. Draft a good receiver and that team can make the Bowl.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Without a doubt they should.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:38 PM   #10
Basketball Fan
Local High School Star

Basketball Fan has decent reputationBasketball Fan has decent reputation

Not happening

I don't see Jim Harbaugh wanting Manning as QB people seem to forget that Harbaugh was injured and then they drafted Manning and it pretty much wrote Harbaugh's exit out of Indy.
Basketball Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

No. Unless he really comes at a super discounted price. They have money to play but they have FA's to sign, and they like heading into the next season under this offense with built in continuity.

The only way they'd consider it is if he came super cheap and he could guarantee being at the least like 85-90%.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

If Peyton Manning is healthy, San Fran would be absolutely dumb not to do it if Peyton wanted to be there.

This is Peyton Manning we're talking about.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:19 PM   #13
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterALBballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
So basically they are not signing their own free agents, just Peyton? I'd say chances of this are very small.

I'm not sure you understand the Niners cap situation. Niners should have over 40 million dollars of cap room for next season (and this doesn't even include the possibility of cutting players.) Their most significant FA's are Doshon Goldson, Carlos Rogers and Alex Smith. Then the other good FA's include Ahmad Brooks, Ted Ginn, J Morgan, Adam Snyder and there are other key players as well.

I'm not sure what Goldson and Rogers market values are. Reed and Polamlu are making around 7-9 mill a year and I guess Goldson will ask for a similar contract but I don't think he will get it. Rogers will get top CB money and he could even be franchise tagged but between the two I don't think they will make more than 12 million or so. But I'm not that knowledgeable on the cap so I'm not really sure.

If Manning is asking for 20 million a year then it will be unlikely he will sign with the niners. But I don't think even Manning can dictate that type of money after an injury season. If the Niners can get him around 10-15 million (which seems more then reasonable) and can get assurance he is healthy (which it appears he is) then the Niners should go after him. I think Manning would take less money to go on a team that was a few plays from going to the Superbowl rather then take a risk on a team like the Cardinals or Dolphins.

PS:

I like Smith alot and I think he is a good QB but this is Peyton Manning we are talking about.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:24 PM   #14
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko

Well, I think Ahmad Brooks is going to go no matter what - he had a good season and will receive a decent contract elsewhere. Carlos Rogers, I want him back, but given his pro bowl season, he'll want to be paid "fairly", and I'm not for signing a 31 year old corner to a 4-5 year contract so he was leaning towards being gone anyways.

There are mixed opinions on Dashon Goldson. Hard hitter but he misses tackles and is suspect in coverage at times.

Those are the top 3 FAs. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to keep all of them, but getting Peyton at a theoretical $15ish mil, leaving some money for perhaps one other FA (e.g. get Reggie Wayne to come over too)? Um, yes please. The D's strength is by far the front seven, which will be mostly intact. In fact, with Aldon going into his second year, he'd hopefully be ready to start anyways in place of Brooks.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:31 PM   #15
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyde82
You think Peyton will demand top dollar though? At this stage in his career, and with Eli now one-upping him in the SB department, don't you think his sole motivation right now is to win and win NOW? If that means taking a bit less money, say $15 mil compared to $20+ mil, that wouldn't be unreasonable, would it?

I know he's got love for Eli and all that, but man, as the big bro, it's got to be fueling him to come back even harder right now, seeing the Eli parade going on and what not.

It's all about the Cap.. Niners have alot of young and upcoming player that they'll need to resign in the next coming years. If he can come on as a discount and sign for around $10mil it's obviously a steal. But that's depending if he's healthy or not.. If we go after a injured Manning and get rid of Smith our season can be in jeopardy. If he's healthy you obviously go after him as he's a top 5 QB of all time but I see a team like Washington going hard after him and give up some draft picks..

Niners will have some cap this offseason even after all of our potential FA's. We need to sign a deep threat WR, a possible slot reciever, a reliable KR/PR who doesn't get hurt(Ginn is always injured), some CB depth and possibly interior o-line help.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: