Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 02-07-2012, 12:18 AM   #16
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation
Default Re: The Niners & Peyton Manning

Peyton's contract would be incentive driven. If he hits all those incentives, then he's obviously playing the games and doing well. If he doesn't, it doesn't hurt the cap (just Alex Smith's feelings)
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:39 AM   #17
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I just feel like it's that old debate. Try to win now or build for the future.

If they get Peyton they'll go all in. No doubt about it. If not they will continue to develop their team. Now both scenarios would end up with really good results if played out correctly.

There is no guarantee either way that the team will get a SB. Football is too unpredictable, when it's lose and go home shit just happens. IF Peyton is old Peyton and IF they can get him at a reasonable price then sure: go for it. IF there is some question, or he wants a ton of money do not do it. They have too many holes to fill.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:24 AM   #18
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Peyton's contract would be incentive driven. If he hits all those incentives, then he's obviously playing the games and doing well. If he doesn't, it doesn't hurt the cap (just Alex Smith's feelings)
It won't even come down to it, Peyton I bet would much rather be in Miami or Arizona throwing to Marshall or Fitzgerald.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:29 AM   #19
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

QUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this board

Polamalu has a better chance of signing with Baltimore. Retarded thread.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:46 AM   #20
YAWN
NBA All-star

YAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterYAWN is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Peyton in AZ would be pretty sick. Though him in Miami would give us Brady vs Peyton twice a season...
YAWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #21
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

bsyde82 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIZZLE
Polamalu has a better chance of signing with Baltimore. Retarded thread.

And your reasoning is....

Retarded post.
bsyde82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #22
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
It won't even come down to it, Peyton I bet would much rather be in Miami or Arizona throwing to Marshall or Fitzgerald.

You really think having a single elite WR is more integral to winning than having an elite defense/special teams? And it's not like the niners offense has NOBODY.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #23
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
I can see where you would think this...

I cant see him going to the 49z unless they change that smash mouth football montra and add some quality WR's.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #24
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
I can see where you would think this...

I cant see him going to the 49z unless they change that smash mouth football montra and add some quality WR's.

The 49'ers have enough weapons for Manning. Vernon Davis is elite, Peyton would work wonders with Crabtree if he could make Blair White a serviceable player in the NFL.

Plus that offensive line is miles better than the one Peyton has been playing behind for years. And of course Gore & Hunter.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #25
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyde82
You really think having a single elite WR is more integral to winning than having an elite defense/special teams? And it's not like the niners offense has NOBODY.

This. the niners need a downfield threat at wr and maybe a slot wr. The bigger issue is whether peyton will play for a hands on coach like harbaugh. Peyton was his own offensive coordinator in Indy, I don't know if that will fly with harbaugh. Not to mention Manning will probably have to limit his aggressiveness on a team as conservative with the niners. With that said i would take the risk and I think the differences between both sides are workable..

Last edited by ALBballer : 02-07-2012 at 11:01 AM.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:22 PM   #26
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
This. the niners need a downfield threat at wr and maybe a slot wr. The bigger issue is whether peyton will play for a hands on coach like harbaugh. Peyton was his own offensive coordinator in Indy, I don't know if that will fly with harbaugh. Not to mention Manning will probably have to limit his aggressiveness on a team as conservative with the niners. With that said i would take the risk and I think the differences between both sides are workable..

yea, I'd be somewhat worried about the harbaugh-peyton dynamic. But my feeling is that harbaugh was only really hands-on with Alex because, well, it's Alex. The guy needs to be coddled. He's tough and all, but it's clear he never had, never will have that confidence/swagger of the upper echelon QBs. I don't think Harbaugh was all over luck, was he? Though I'm not sure on that one.

And regarding conservatism, I feel like Peyton would welcome the prospect of a bit less pressure on him to perform every single down. And while aggressive, Peyton isn't a slinger ala Favre or Stafford. He employs a precise, calculated aggressiveness.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #27
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

QUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyde82
And your reasoning is....

Retarded post.

Alex Smith had his best season thus far. They've shown trust in him so why would they want to dump him right now and spend more money on a quarterback? Peyton is better but Smith had a great year.

If Smith plays like how he did this year, they don't need Peyton. They need to improve on WIDE RECEIVER right now and help get some coverage off of Vernon Davis. Remember Crabtrees drops in the postseason? Yeah, they need WR help.

Idiot.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #28
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The problem is Peyton, even if he takes less up front money still needs to have the space on the cap for his possible incentives. It means they can't do everything else they want. IF for some reason Peyton isn't healthy, or gets rehurt, it sets them back, when they are really close. It's a tough decision. It's easier if you could guarantee Peyton was ok, but you really can't.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #29
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIZZLE
Alex Smith had his best season thus far. They've shown trust in him so why would they want to dump him right now and spend more money on a quarterback? Peyton is better but Smith had a great year.

If Smith plays like how he did this year, they don't need Peyton. They need to improve on WIDE RECEIVER right now and help get some coverage off of Vernon Davis. Remember Crabtrees drops in the postseason? Yeah, they need WR help.

Idiot.

Do you watch 49er games, or just read headlines and watch various highlights? Alex Smith had "his" best season - keyword, his. By his standards. A very low standard. He rarely made mistakes, I get that. But it's also because he NEVER took any chances. See red zone (in)efficiency - that's the hallmark of an ultra conservative QB scared to make mistakes. And for an ultra conservative QB, his completion % of 61% is pretty below average - that explains their terrible 3rd down conversion rate. Because when they wanted to throw on 1st, 2nd downs, Alex misfired much of the time. And the Giants game, he has a semblance of a decent game and I think the niners win that one fairly easily.

The reasoning that goes something like, Alex almost led the niners to the SB, so let's not tinker with the formula, is not sound. Niners got to where they got 90% because of their Defense/special teams and innovative playcalling. People expecting the niners to just pick up where they left off last year is overlooking the fact of how fortunate the niners were all year long, pulling off close victories, and relative to the league norm, avoiding major injuries.

Although one can hope the D and special teams to play up to that elite level again, FA defections and just the difficulty in duplicating a season like that will work against that hope. That's why its critical that the offense improves, and improves dramatically. Alex got better at not f*cking up, but he did not improve his deep ball accuracy all year long (a career weakness), nor is he accurate in general. On top of that, people who want to blame the OL for all those sacks do no take into account the ability of QBs to adjust coverage, something the elite QBs like Peyton does every down, and something mediocre QBs like Alex cannot do.

I could go on and on - niners win in spite of Alex most of the time.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:58 PM   #30
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
The problem is Peyton, even if he takes less up front money still needs to have the space on the cap for his possible incentives. It means they can't do everything else they want. IF for some reason Peyton isn't healthy, or gets rehurt, it sets them back, when they are really close. It's a tough decision. It's easier if you could guarantee Peyton was ok, but you really can't.

Honestly, I think Peyton understands that his next contract has to be heavily incentive laden. Every team right now is aware of the huge risk. If he's actually cleared to play and deemed close to 100% healthy, then he can start demanding a standard contract. But he's not dumb or that stubborn I believe - dude has made a shitload of money already.

I just hope there's not a desperate team out there dumb enough to throw big money at him without a guarantee of his health.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: