Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 02-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #31
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: The Niners & Peyton Manning

San Fran doesn't have the WR to entice Manning. They have some cap space, but they can't sign their FA, top flight talent at WR, and Peyton.

Manning won't come cheap. Why would he? He has crazy $$$ and can make plenty more in the broadcast booth if he wants.

He'll have a tough time convincing anyone that he's healthy enough to warrant the kind of contract he'll demand without playing a down. We're dealing with a recurrent neck injury and potential nerve damage. May look great throwing the route tree to Austin Collie in a practice dome somewhere. Nobody knows what happens when he gets hit, or has to make 400 throws a year.

He won't play for a team that plays outdoors. Just my belief.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #32
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
San Fran doesn't have the WR to entice Manning. They have some cap space, but they can't sign their FA, top flight talent at WR, and Peyton.

Manning won't come cheap. Why would he? He has crazy $$$ and can make plenty more in the broadcast booth if he wants.

He'll have a tough time convincing anyone that he's healthy enough to warrant the kind of contract he'll demand without playing a down. We're dealing with a recurrent neck injury and potential nerve damage. May look great throwing the route tree to Austin Collie in a practice dome somewhere. Nobody knows what happens when he gets hit, or has to make 400 throws a year.

Peyton should sign with AZ. Skelton gets mentoring. Kolb gets traded for a 2nd round pick and an overrated CB. As if Kolb can get 2nd round value this year if he was traded.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:43 PM   #33
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

QUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this boardQUIZZLE is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyde82
Do you watch 49er games, or just read headlines and watch various highlights? Alex Smith had "his" best season - keyword, his. By his standards. A very low standard. He rarely made mistakes, I get that. But it's also because he NEVER took any chances. See red zone (in)efficiency - that's the hallmark of an ultra conservative QB scared to make mistakes. And for an ultra conservative QB, his completion % of 61% is pretty below average - that explains their terrible 3rd down conversion rate. Because when they wanted to throw on 1st, 2nd downs, Alex misfired much of the time. And the Giants game, he has a semblance of a decent game and I think the niners win that one fairly easily.

The reasoning that goes something like, Alex almost led the niners to the SB, so let's not tinker with the formula, is not sound. Niners got to where they got 90% because of their Defense/special teams and innovative playcalling. People expecting the niners to just pick up where they left off last year is overlooking the fact of how fortunate the niners were all year long, pulling off close victories, and relative to the league norm, avoiding major injuries.

Although one can hope the D and special teams to play up to that elite level again, FA defections and just the difficulty in duplicating a season like that will work against that hope. That's why its critical that the offense improves, and improves dramatically. Alex got better at not f*cking up, but he did not improve his deep ball accuracy all year long (a career weakness), nor is he accurate in general. On top of that, people who want to blame the OL for all those sacks do no take into account the ability of QBs to adjust coverage, something the elite QBs like Peyton does every down, and something mediocre QBs like Alex cannot do.

I could go on and on - niners win in spite of Alex most of the time.

I know they got there because of their defense and their run game. I'm not stupid. And I'm not saying that Smith is an elite quarterback, hell even not top fifteen. I'm just saying he's good enough to get the job done and they don't need to waste money on Peyton unless they got him at a really good value. If the 49ers had Mark Sanchez, then maybe.

I just don't see him going to San Francisco, period.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #34
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT

Well, I think he would want to come to San Francisco because he knows he won't be dependent on to win the ball game for them game in and game out while if goes to Arizona and Miami he'll have to play great for them to make the postseason. I can see the situation similar to the Favre situation in Minny when he first arrived although Favre did start to air it out by the end of the season.

Why would he want to join Arizona? He would want to join a contender and try to build upon his legacy.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:23 PM   #35
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

There's a lot of talk about whether or not Peyton would rather go to a team with a great receiver to throw to, but I think he would also enjoy the luxury of having a great supporting defense. If this thread is based on the premise that he is healthy to be close to his old self then he has the abilities to elevate the game of a Crabtree and can finally utilize Vernon Davis as much as he should be.

As for the Cardinals, I think they can be catching up the Niners quicker than people realize. They strung together an 8-8 record with the Skelton/Kolb merry-go-round and finished one of the hottest teams in the league at the end of the season. Beanie showed he can be a good enough running back on a winning team and they have a bunch of playmakers on defense such as Dockett, Wilson, and Peterson with his continued development. They can turn into a scary team with the right QB in there.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #36
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

UtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterUtahJazzFan88 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
Well, I think he would want to come to San Francisco because he knows he won't be dependent on to win the ball game for them game in and game out while if goes to Arizona and Miami he'll have to play great for them to make the postseason. I can see the situation similar to the Favre situation in Minny when he first arrived although Favre did start to air it out by the end of the season.

Why would he want to join Arizona? He would want to join a contender and try to build upon his legacy.

Arizona is a QB away from a contender, a good RB, receiving core that is pretty good, and a defense that has been improving a lot if you haven't noticed.

Not sure why Miami wouldn't be a good choice either. He isn't going to SF anyway, they'll commit to Smith.
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #37
JMT
NBA lottery pick

JMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation hereJMT has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahJazzFan88
Arizona is a QB away from a contender, a good RB, receiving core that is pretty good, and a defense that has been improving a lot if you haven't noticed.

Agreed, though I still believe he'll retire.

AZ's defense was Top 10 in every category over the second half of the season. They have talent there, but it took some time for them to start to understand Horton's system.

My biggest concern would be how Manning views their O-line.

Kolb's contract is ugly, but not something they couldn't deal with.

San Fran fans are caught up after this season. Understandably, as it was a great one. But they're a year removed from 6 wins. Funny things happen in the NFL.

Last edited by JMT : 02-07-2012 at 08:10 PM.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #38
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

bsyde82 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT

San Fran fans are caught up after this season. Understandably, as it was a great one. But they're a year removed from 6 wins. Funny things happen in the NFL.

yea some are, but many realize how many breaks we got this past season, and that we need our offense to be a helluva lot better to achieve the same level we achieved this past season.

That being said, I don't think this season was smoke and mirrors - not sure if that's what you're implying. You had to have been a careful observer (or maybe not?) of coach Sing and Nolan to see how utterly dysfunctional the team was for all those years. The common takeaway from this season is that the talent has been there for some time now. That front seven is, if not the best, top 2 in the league with upside considering the youth of Aldon Smith and Bowman. Special teams, I think that remains elite. We have playmakers on offense, they just need someone to get them the ball consistently.

I think a subtle example is one of the biggest differences I envision when comparing someone like Alex to someone like Peyton: Alex will throw a short out, but if he even completes it, it's often high, forcing Crab or whomever to reach for it, negating his YAC ability. A good QB will put it in a position where the receiver can do something with it. With a good QB, Niners would have straight blown out many teams this year (e.g. skins, browns to name a few).
bsyde82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #39
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Peyton is going to go to a good situation, in a warm enviornment with good weather, and also the team that guarantees him a good amount of money, despite what he said. I think Arizona and Miami are the best bets. I don't see SF, they are close enough without him, and they are not a franchise that will take the financial bet that Peyton will be healthy. Although i think in terms of possibly winning its the best situation, i dont see it.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:11 PM   #40
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Well if Alex Smith is re-signed by SF all bets are off on Peyton, and SF has repeatedly said they are going to try their best to bring Smith back. They should not face any competition in the open market for his services, thus he'll be back and they won't see QB as a need.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #41
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
Well if Alex Smith is re-signed by SF all bets are off on Peyton, and SF has repeatedly said they are going to try their best to bring Smith back. They should not face any competition in the open market for his services, thus he'll be back and they won't see QB as a need.

Lemme preface by saying that I think for sure he'll be back in San Fran. But I disagree with that sentiment whole heatedly.

Look at the way QB's are signed. Teams panic, think they find a guy, and then throw money at him. Kolb, Orton, Cassell, and I bet you Flyn is going to get a boatload of money.

Teams will see a competent QB with some athleticism. And 2 or so of those teams will mismanage getting a QB and will start throwing offers at everyone. It's quite comical sometimes actually.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #42
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Lemme preface by saying that I think for sure he'll be back in San Fran. But I disagree with that sentiment whole heatedly.

Look at the way QB's are signed. Teams panic, think they find a guy, and then throw money at him. Kolb, Orton, Cassell, and I bet you Flyn is going to get a boatload of money.

Teams will see a competent QB with some athleticism. And 2 or so of those teams will mismanage getting a QB and will start throwing offers at everyone. It's quite comical sometimes actually.
Kolb had some promise, but granted he was sold high by Philly on the basis of upside that might not have ever been there. Cassel actually looked good for NE that one season, Flynn looked great against the Lions in his only game of playing time and actually showed an arm. I see your point but I just don't see ANYONE putting in an offer or courting Alex Smith's services.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #43
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Kolb had some promise, but granted he was sold high by Philly on the basis of upside that might not have ever been there. Cassel actually looked good for NE that one season, Flynn looked great against the Lions in his only game of playing time and actually showed an arm. I see your point but I just don't see ANYONE putting in an offer or courting Alex Smith's services.

Unless he's wrapped up early by SF he'll get some calls. They might not be overwhelming offers but he'll get calls. It's just how it works. Some teams might be turned off by injury history, but again, there will be teams with the need and another GM will go: "Hmm well if they can do it with him maybe we can too."
Old 02-07-2012, 10:41 PM   #44
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

my main point is, 49ers are not a player for Peyton because they will retain Smith.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 PM   #45
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
my main point is, 49ers are not a player for Peyton because they will retain Smith.

I agree. Alex is Jim's guy. And Colin isn't ready yet. It just makes too much sense to keep Alex as the number 1.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: