Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-08-2007, 07:23 AM   #1
Mathius
NBA sixth man of the year

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation
Default Final Fantasy 12

Am I the only one who has played it and doesn't like it?

I mean don't get me wrong, the graphics and sound are phenomenal (except for some of the voice overs. Some of them sound quite gay) but the game play..

I just don't like the fighting system and the story line isn't that great either. And lastly, I'm getting tired of playing games that have more story than actual game play. It's like you get 10 minutes of play and then a 20 minute FMV. Also, I don't like that you have to read everything the characters say still. Get rid of some of the FMV's and use that space to give the characters voices.

When FF7 came out, the graphics were so-so and a text based fighting system was still acceptable. This will always be the best final fantasy in my mind, until they come up with something better. Final fantasy 1 is my second favorite despite the dated graphics.

But when FF 10 came out, the graphics started to get so good, that all this text based crap is getting old. I want them to come out with a Final Fantasy that has an interactive fighting system.

I just don't understand this new one either. It's still menu based, but now you can run around. I get that now you can avoid enemies, which is good, instead of the random battle thing, which was annoying. But what is the point of running around during combat? Your enemy hits you the same, no matter where you are or how far you run to avoid them. So why bother? It's still the same old menu based, turn style crap.

And what is with the themes of these games? Do Japanese people really think American's see this stuff as cutting edge? Playboy bunnies in this one... ? When I saw the previews, I thought it was finally going to be a normal medieval theme, but this is more like star wars or something. What's with these queer outfits. I already saw previews of FF 13 and it's got a crapload of trains in it. TRAINS! Is this what Japan thinks is cool? In the future, our coolest mode of transportation is going to be a .... TRAIN?

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 01-08-2007 at 07:26 AM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Haha, nice rant.

I just got done with FFX (pretty solid, although a wierd story) and it took me a good 4-5 months to do it. It was my first FF game, and now I'm moving on and trying VII. But the only thing I've heard from other people is that XII is awesome, and a great game. Not sure why you're not into it. might have something to do with what type of game you prefer. I like the story-based games, as opposed to gameplay. I can still get into a game that has ****ty gameplay but a great story, but it doesn't work the other way around.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

FF13 is great, I just hate how the license board can make everyone really similar. Its probably my 4th favorite behind 6,9, and a tie between 10 7 and 5.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

It's the best one in awhile. I LOVE the new battle system, it's not as boring. Plus, the gambits make it VERY interesting.

It goes for me 6, 7, 12, 9, 10, 8.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #5
Mathius

Mathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputationMathius has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Haha, nice rant.

I just got done with FFX (pretty solid, although a wierd story) and it took me a good 4-5 months to do it. It was my first FF game, and now I'm moving on and trying VII. But the only thing I've heard from other people is that XII is awesome, and a great game. Not sure why you're not into it. might have something to do with what type of game you prefer. I like the story-based games, as opposed to gameplay. I can still get into a game that has ****ty gameplay but a great story, but it doesn't work the other way around.

I like a good story as much as the next guy, but I also want to play, not watch a bunch of movies. Did you ever play Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty? I'll bet you there's 10 hours of game play, 20 hours of movie time. It's annoying to sit there and watch the video game babble. I might as well watch a movie.

GTA: San Andreas had a great story line and almost no FMV's except when you start a mission. Godfather has an even better storyline and almost no FMV's except when you start a mission. Same with Gun.

The Legacy of Kain games have great gameplay and a really good story. Very few FMV's.

I don't want to watch a movie, I want to play a game.

Mathius
Old 01-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
Mathius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMacsOneGoodEye
It's the best one in awhile. I LOVE the new battle system, it's not as boring.

That's part of the problem. Your response is automatically "its better". Better than what? The previous ones right? Because that's what everyone's comparing it to. But would you say the fight system in final fantasy is as entertaining as say... A turf war in Godfather, or San Andreas? Or how about Devil May Cry? Gun?

Don't get me wrong, the graphics are phenomenal, but it isn't enough for me. I'd rather have crappy graphics and a good game.

Mathius
Old 01-08-2007, 01:01 PM   #7
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

Hmm, if it's violence you're after, you're not gonna find it in a FF game. Maybe the RPG genre just isn't for you?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #8
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I got the Grand Theft Auto Triology. GTAIII, GTA Vice City and GTA San Andreas. Only $30. Much better than being an elf lookin like Kyle Korver fighting gooblin and goblins.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #9
Mathius

Quote:
Hmm, if it's violence you're after, you're not gonna find it in a FF game. Maybe the RPG genre just isn't for you?

Are you retarded by chance? Who said anything about violence?

If I wanted to read my game, I'd pick up a book. I've read almost everything fantasy/medieval that's caught my interest, and that's a lot.

If I wanted to watch my game, I'd pick out a movie.

I want to play my game. So it needs to be interactive. It needs to be responsive. Not a list of items to choose from and then watch the character go through the motions.

I played old school RPG's. I played Dragon Warrior, the original Zelda, Final Fantasy 1, Chrono Trigger. I even played MUDS on the computer and programmed them in high school. I wrote my own areas/zones as well. I know all about RPG's. But they need to start progressing like everything else in the world. Otherwise you might as well sit in your room and play D&D with your friends and a pair of dice. (which I have never done and will not do)

Mathius
Old 01-08-2007, 06:47 PM   #10
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

Slow your roll kid. It's obvious RPG's aernt for you if you just want to get to the hack & slash parts. Maybe try War games? Or this new urban genre like the 50 cent game?

TMOGE
Old 01-09-2007, 05:39 AM   #11
Mathius

Quote:
Slow your roll kid. It's obvious RPG's aernt for you if you just want to get to the hack & slash parts. Maybe try War games? Or this new urban genre like the 50 cent game?

TMOGE

The only thing that's obvious to me is that your reading and comprehension skills aren't up to par. Come back when you can read and understand what I've posted so far.

Mathius
Old 01-09-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

the thing I like about 12 was the gambit system but it was also the gambit system that sucked, it took out me theplayer from playing the game. Heck I leveled up to lvl 50 without even touching the controller. But overall I liked the game minus the cheap ripoff story taken from Starwars and LOTR (for Godsake "Stllshire of Miriam" whats next)

btw best ff for me was

FF7>>FF10>>12 than 8 I didnt play the rest and only part of 9

Last edited by ErhnamDjinn : 01-09-2007 at 03:21 PM.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #13
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I just finished 10 a little while ago, and now I just tried to start 7. Can't really get into it. After having all the main characters actually have voices, it's hard to get used to reading the text the whole time. And the graphics stink. To be expected though I suppose. I have a quick question though.

I have a PS2, and I'm obviously playing the PS version. Do you need a special memory card or something to save PS games on a PS2? Because it won't detect my memory card when I try to save it. Any suggestions?
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:46 PM   #14
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

buy a ps1 memory card. could probably find a cheapo used one for like 5 bucks at your local gamestop or whatever.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: