Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 02-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Default FA possibility: Mario Williams to the 49ers

Yea I know all the talk is about grabbing a WR, but I heard on local sports talk yesterday the idea of trying to get Mario Williams instead. It's tantalizing and I think it's somewhat possible given the fact that Houston proved it can be a dominant defense without Mario. If they franchise him, that's another story, but they also have to save money for Arian Foster (assuming they want to keep him - it would be crazy not to).

Thoughts? Mario, Bowman, Willis, Aldon sounds like the best LB corps ever assembled. Couple that with Justin Smith and Ray MacDonald on the line and you have one insane front 7.
bsyde82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

Default Re: FA possibility: Mario Williams to the 49ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyde82
Yea I know all the talk is about grabbing a WR, but I heard on local sports talk yesterday the idea of trying to get Mario Williams instead. It's tantalizing and I think it's somewhat possible given the fact that Houston proved it can be a dominant defense without Mario. If they franchise him, that's another story, but they also have to save money for Arian Foster (assuming they want to keep him - it would be crazy not to).

Thoughts? Mario, Bowman, Willis, Aldon sounds like the best LB corps ever assembled. Couple that with Justin Smith and Ray MacDonald on the line and you have one insane front 7.

Man, 49ers paying the rest of the team in rice?

Peyton's going to the Niners. Williams is going to the Niners.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
QUIZZLE
Sugar. Give me. Sugar.

But no, seriously, that would be a much more likely pickup and yes it would make that filthy defense borderline unstoppable.
QUIZZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 PM   #4
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

This isn't happening.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #5
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUIZZLE
Man, 49ers paying the rest of the team in rice?

Peyton's going to the Niners. Williams is going to the Niners.

haha no, I've given up on the Peyton idea. Obviously it'd be one or the other, but yea, Peyton (assuming he can even resume his career) seems unrealistic given Harbaugh's attachment to Alex.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Eh do not want. Niners have a pure pass rusher in Aldon Smith and need someone that is a more complete player on the other side.

Williams is a great player, but I don't think it's a good fit with the niners.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
niko
I Run NY.

He's hurt, he will resign with Houston. You don't sign a big money FA coming off an injury, it could kill your caps for years.

Do people who make these threads actually follow the niners? What in how they operate makes people think they are going after all the big money guys?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Brooks and Harlleson either, they are fine players that don't break the bank.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #9
jazz873
College star

Nope. He is going to the Packers

I can only dream. Damn you Ted Thompson
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
Nope. He is going to the Packers

I can only dream. Damn you Ted Thompson
See comment above about 49ers and extend to Packers.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:37 PM   #11
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
He's hurt, he will resign with Houston. You don't sign a big money FA coming off an injury, it could kill your caps for years.

Do people who make these threads actually follow the niners? What in how they operate makes people think they are going after all the big money guys?

Yes I do follow the niners very closely as I live in SF. Do I think this is actually likely given the front office's approach last year? No.

But Mario Williams is a special player and was proving early on he could be a 3-4 OLB. And he's coming off a pec tear, not some potentially career-altering injury like a torn ACL or something.

The simplistic line of thinking is that since the niners came oh so close to the super bowl, they only have to make very minor adjustments and boom, they'll be back. But I disagree. We caught a lot of breaks during the season, the the nfc west will be tougher next season. I'm always for upgrading and players like Mario Williams don't come around very often.

I'm not saying sign this guy at any price. But if it were remotely viable, I'd do it. Niners have a ton of cap space, so they can afford to shell out for at least one big money FA. To those saying we don't need him, we have Aldon. Sure, we have Aldon, who was great, but just imagine Aldon AND Mario. That LB corps could make this defense special for a long long time.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
There's absolutely nothing wrong with Brooks and Harlleson either, they are fine players that don't break the bank.

There's nothing wrong with a lot of players in the league if you think there's nothing wrong with mediocrity. Haralson is mediocre...it's been proven. Brooks is going to get FA offers for sure. In fact, Niners have already conceded he's probably gone.

Even if they're "fine" players, they're not potential best in the league good, and that's what you'd be getting with Mario.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyde82
Yes I do follow the niners very closely as I live in SF. Do I think this is actually likely given the front office's approach last year? No.

But Mario Williams is a special player and was proving early on he could be a 3-4 OLB. And he's coming off a pec tear, not some potentially career-altering injury like a torn ACL or something.

The simplistic line of thinking is that since the niners came oh so close to the super bowl, they only have to make very minor adjustments and boom, they'll be back. But I disagree. We caught a lot of breaks during the season, the the nfc west will be tougher next season. I'm always for upgrading and players like Mario Williams don't come around very often.

I'm not saying sign this guy at any price. But if it were remotely viable, I'd do it. Niners have a ton of cap space, so they can afford to shell out for at least one big money FA. To those saying we don't need him, we have Aldon. Sure, we have Aldon, who was great, but just imagine Aldon AND Mario. That LB corps could make this defense special for a long long time.
If you follow the niners closely and somehow see them making this move i don't know what to tell you.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
If you follow the niners closely and somehow see them making this move i don't know what to tell you.

What's your problem dude? Did you see the first sentence of my response to you?

Instead of employing any reasoning, you go the facepalm route. This is a forum, where people float possibly unrealistic ideas and then discuss, because well, its fun and its a forum.

You act as if it's literally impossible for the niners to make this move, as if you're actually working in their front office. It's one thing to say, man I don't see it, like some of the others here, but it's just asinine to do what you just did.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #15
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

That front 7 is already off the charts. Last year they had one of the best defenses ever assembled and the only big piece they might miss is Carlos Rodgers, which they think they can replace, and their youngins should only get better.

What they were on the opposite end of the spectrum in was WR. There they need to improve, plus sign their own FAs.

Outside of maybe WR they will not make a big sexy move, it's going to be players they want to fit into their system.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: