Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 02-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #16
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

bsyde82 has decent reputation
Default Re: FA possibility: Mario Williams to the 49ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
That front 7 is already off the charts. Last year they had one of the best defenses ever assembled and the only big piece they might miss is Carlos Rodgers, which they think they can replace, and their youngins should only get better.

What they were on the opposite end of the spectrum in was WR. There they need to improve, plus sign their own FAs.

Outside of maybe WR they will not make a big sexy move, it's going to be players they want to fit into their system.

Their front 7 was very very good, but I wouldn't say off the charts. Haralson is mediocre. Brooks had a career year, but his career year wasn't spectacular or anything.

I like the idea of a FA WR, but I just don't have confidence Alex can do anything with said WR.

and speaking of system, the niners run a ball control, conservative offense. It will be tough to attract a top flight WR to come and play in this offense. Adding a player of Mario's caliber fortifies our strength, which is defense.
bsyde82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #17
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

I don't see him playing LB anywhere but Houston. If someone else pays him big money it will be to play 4-3 DE.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCY
I don't see him playing LB anywhere but Houston. If someone else pays him big money it will be to play 4-3 DE.

Why? both Houston and Niners play a 3-4 and the niners have one solid coverage ILB (bowman) and one excellent coverage ILB (willis). Mario would basically be upgrading Haralson or Brooks' spot - neither guy, particularly Brooks, was asked to cover much. Mario would be playing as an exclusive pass rusher/run stopper on the edge.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #19
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsyde82
Why? both Houston and Niners play a 3-4 and the niners have one solid coverage ILB (bowman) and one excellent coverage ILB (willis). Mario would basically be upgrading Haralson or Brooks' spot - neither guy, particularly Brooks, was asked to cover much. Mario would be playing as an exclusive pass rusher/run stopper on the edge.

He has little experience at LB and I think teams would be wary of making a huge offer for him to play there. It should take a bank breaking offer to get him away from Houston and I don't see someone making it unless they can put him at his ideal position. I don't think the Niners have the cap room anyway.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 05:41 PM   #20
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
What's your problem dude? Did you see the first sentence of my response to you?

Instead of employing any reasoning, you go the facepalm route. This is a forum, where people float possibly unrealistic ideas and then discuss, because well, its fun and its a forum.

You act as if it's literally impossible for the niners to make this move, as if you're actually working in their front office. It's one thing to say, man I don't see it, like some of the others here, but it's just asinine to do what you just did.
YOu are expecting the niners to make a move that doesn't really fit capwise (they need to sign the QB and their own players as well as add offensive weapons) and that doesn't fit into the way they like to operate (not spend more than necessary, not make big sexy signings). You also have no historical precedence to point to that they would make it recently. And to top it off, it's a player coming off an injury, a situation that doesn't usually result in players moving for big money to new teams.

So that you keep pressing this.
niko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #21
jazz873
College star

jazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputationjazz873 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
See comment above about 49ers and extend to Packers.
I was kidding i want Calais Campbell
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #22
bsyde82
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
YOu are expecting the niners to make a move that doesn't really fit capwise (they need to sign the QB and their own players as well as add offensive weapons) and that doesn't fit into the way they like to operate (not spend more than necessary, not make big sexy signings). You also have no historical precedence to point to that they would make it recently. And to top it off, it's a player coming off an injury, a situation that doesn't usually result in players moving for big money to new teams.

So that you keep pressing this.

You're making a lot of assumptions here, not illogical ones, but assumptions nonetheless. obviously at this point, Alex is coming back, but I believe his cap situation is flexible because who else is going to shell out for him? If they do, I don't see the niners offering Alex silly money just to retain him.

Adding offensive weapons is the mainstream consensus, but I'm just offering my OWN take, which makes sense to me. I don't think Crabtree is a bust - he performed very well during the season, particularly in the latter half. But then WRs started dropping and we ended up with Brett freakin Swaine as a 3rd WR. Resigning Morgan on the cheap, which is very possible given his injury, and pairing him with Crab, and drafting a young WR, will do well for that department. Other than that, we don't need any other offensive weapons.

No historical precedence...well we did idiotically sign Nate Clements to a monster contract, remember that? But precedence is irrelevant, because this regime is new. They don't really have a track record except for last year's offseason. It was one offseason, and a shortened one at that. So I don't really buy the precedence argument.

Look, I'm trying to think of bold ideas here, partly for fun, and partly because I'm not in favor of just making minor tweaks based on the assumption the niners are basically a shoe-in SB contender again.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:55 AM   #23
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Their front 7 was very very good, but I wouldn't say off the charts. Haralson is mediocre. Brooks had a career year, but his career year wasn't spectacular or anything.

I like the idea of a FA WR, but I just don't have confidence Alex can do anything with said WR.

and speaking of system, the niners run a ball control, conservative offense. It will be tough to attract a top flight WR to come and play in this offense. Adding a player of Mario's caliber fortifies our strength, which is defense.

No no no no you misunderstand me:

Talent wise sure they could improve a bit.

But that front 7 was off the charts last year.

Also why would you not have confidence? Look what he did with the corps now. When they needed to make a throw they did quite often. Not only that but many an opportunity went begging because someone dropped the ball. Crabtree was better but he still had a pretty good case of the 3rd down dropsies. PLUS the playbook wasn't really opened up until after the mid way point and even now I'd guess it's not open. It's a dynamic system. X and O guys will def appreciate what they did and will come. I think they'll also draft a WR in the 1st round (assuming Rodgers resigns which... might not be likely).

Smith-Davis went off when the book got opened a bit more. Why would the addition of another deep threat or better receiver not make it easier?

AND THEN even if it's not Alex Smith this WR lineup is the weakest part of the team. And they will upgrade it.

At this juncture they won't break the bank on this position.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: