Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2012, 04:48 PM   #16
StateOfMind12
Banned
 
StateOfMind12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,838
StateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

What is Melo's record as a Knick? I heard Stephen A. Smith said that last season when Melo was traded to the Knicks that they had a below .500 record with him and this season they have obviously been a below .500 team with him.

What is the official record of Melo as a Knick? I do think Melo will possibly cause harm to this team. Amare will only help though. That is just how their playing styles work.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #17
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind
 
Teanett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2nd floor, east of noho
Posts: 4,709
Teanett has decent reputation
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

i dont get it.
melo and lin played together in jeremy's breakout game. shot attempts were nicely spread across the team en route to 99 points.
melo had a bad game, but if he made his shots (which is his forte) knicks would have scored 110. melo is a great player. all his ball-hogging was a result of nobody else being able to make plays.
Teanett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #18
AMISTILLILL
Banned
 
AMISTILLILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Salford Lads Club
Posts: 7,647
AMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

I'm convinced that people who question how Melo could potentially hurt this team don't even really watch basketball.
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
fubu05
Say Word?
 
fubu05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,686
fubu05 is considered somewhat coolfubu05 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
...because in his time with the Knicks he's effectively played iso ball more than anything else? It's pretty widely chronicled, so I'm not really sure what to tell you.

He's also been asked to be the playmaker and facilitator. Which is something hes never done in his career It's like trying to tell Durant to run a team offensively. Be the playmaker, be the scorer, be the PG and scoring SF at the same time. How do you think he would do? Have you for one second stopped and though.. well gee, Melo has never been this bad before, has anything changed? Has he been facing double-teams all year because STAT has been rendered into a Jason Collins-like player with no PG? Is he maybe out of his comfort zone doing something he's never done before?


Quote:
Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
I'm convinced that people who question how Melo could potentially hurt this team don't even really watch basketball.


Last edited by fubu05 : 02-11-2012 at 04:56 PM.
fubu05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #20
StateOfMind12
Banned
 
StateOfMind12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,838
StateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
I'm convinced that people who question how Melo could potentially hurt this team don't even really watch basketball.
Maybe you should look at the usernames and the avatar of the people who question it.

Melo W/L record with the Knicks this season: 10-12
Melo W/L record with the Knicks last season: 14-13 (not counting post-season play) If we count post-season play then the Knicks are 14-17 when Melo plays.

Knicks have an overall regular season record of 24-25 when Melo plays. 24-29 counting post-season play.
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #21
fubu05
Say Word?
 
fubu05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,686
fubu05 is considered somewhat coolfubu05 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
Maybe you should look at the usernames and the avatar of the people who question it.

Melo W/L record with the Knicks this season: 10-12
Melo W/L record with the Knicks last season: 14-13 (not counting post-season play) If we count post-season play then the Knicks are 14-17 when Melo plays.

Knicks have an overall regular season record of 24-25 when Melo plays. 24-29 counting post-season play.

What's the W/L without Melo before Lin? 0-4 right? Yeah.. Nice one
fubu05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #22
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind
 
Teanett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2nd floor, east of noho
Posts: 4,709
Teanett has decent reputation
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
...because in his time with the Knicks he's effectively played iso ball more than anything else? It's pretty widely chronicled, so I'm not really sure what to tell you.

there's the misconception's root i guess.
he played half a season on a depleted team, didnt practice with them during a 6 month lock out and now has played 20 games without a point guard, being trusted to play a lebron or pippen-like point forward although he is more a bernard king- type scorer.
do you think kevin durant would look good if asked to play point guard with a new team?
Teanett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #23
StateOfMind12
Banned
 
StateOfMind12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,838
StateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableStateOfMind12 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teanett
there's the misconception's root i guess.
he played half a season on a depleted team, didnt practice with them during a 6 month lock out and now has played 20 games without a point guard, being trusted to play a lebron or pippen-like point forward although he is more a bernard king- type scorer.
do you think kevin durant would look good if asked to play point guard with a new team?
I don't think anyone would question how great the Knicks and Kevin Durant would be if he were playing alongside Jeremy Lin and Amare Stoudemire. I think the Knicks might be the favorites out East if they had Durant instead of Melo.

PG: Lin
SG: Fields
SF: Durant
PF: Stoudemire
C: Chandler

at that front-court
StateOfMind12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #24
knickswin
Good college starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: new yawk
Posts: 3,009
knickswin is a pretty well-respected posterknickswin is a pretty well-respected posterknickswin is a pretty well-respected posterknickswin is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

melo could definitely hurt this team. or he could help. just have to see how he plays. this is going to be a much different role for him from now on. he'll play as a wing instead of a point forward.

I don't know why everyone assumes amar'e is going to be great for them. yes, he's a better pick and roll finisher than jeffries and maybe chandler too. but chandler and jeffries are high iq players who play good d and do the little things. amar'e doesn't.

I freaking love tyson chandler by the way. what a great player.
knickswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
fubu05
Say Word?
 
fubu05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,686
fubu05 is considered somewhat coolfubu05 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
I don't think anyone would question how great the Knicks and Kevin Durant would be if he were playing alongside Jeremy Lin and Amare Stoudemire. I think the Knicks might be the favorites out East if they had Durant instead of Melo.

PG: Lin
SG: Fields
SF: Durant
PF: Stoudemire
C: Chandler

at that front-court

Are you blind? He said how would Kevin Durant and the Knicks do if Kevin Durant had to run the point, with no J. Lin, and with Shumpert/Douglas starting. We haven't even seen Melo play with Lin-STAT so how can you even begin to comprehend how Durant would play with them? LOLOLLLOOOLL!! I swear people just bash on Melo for no reason.
fubu05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:59 PM   #26
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind
 
Teanett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2nd floor, east of noho
Posts: 4,709
Teanett has decent reputation
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
I don't think anyone would question how great the Knicks and Kevin Durant would be if he were playing alongside Jeremy Lin and Amare Stoudemire. I think the Knicks might be the favorites out East if they had Durant instead of Melo.

PG: Lin
SG: Fields
SF: Durant
PF: Stoudemire
C: Chandler

at that front-court

and why is that?
what makes durant so much better than denver-melo?
Teanett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:01 PM   #27
knickswin
Good college starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: new yawk
Posts: 3,009
knickswin is a pretty well-respected posterknickswin is a pretty well-respected posterknickswin is a pretty well-respected posterknickswin is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
I don't think anyone would question how great the Knicks and Kevin Durant would be if he were playing alongside Jeremy Lin and Amare Stoudemire. I think the Knicks might be the favorites out East if they had Durant instead of Melo.

PG: Lin
SG: Fields
SF: Durant
PF: Stoudemire
C: Chandler

at that front-court

durant would probably be a better fit on the wing than melo with a team that plays d'antoni ball. no one questions that durant is an extremely effective off the ball player. durant would SUFFER if he were put in the position carmelo were put in at the beginning of the season.
knickswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #28
Teanett
Great Basketball Mind
 
Teanett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: 2nd floor, east of noho
Posts: 4,709
Teanett has decent reputation
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickswin
this is going to be a much different role for him from now on. he'll play as a wing instead of a point forward.

which is his natural position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickswin
I don't know why everyone assumes amar'e is going to be great for them. yes, he's a better pick and roll finisher than jeffries and maybe chandler too. but chandler and jeffries are high iq players who play good d and do the little things. amar'e doesn't.

i think jeffries is great, but c'mon man, the possibility of playing off picks from chandler and stat makes them unguardable. you'll see opponents frontlines in foul trouble after the 1st quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickswin
I freaking love tyson chandler by the way. what a great player.

me too now. i've been bashing him a lot but these last games he convinced me. great player.
Teanett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #29
AMISTILLILL
Banned
 
AMISTILLILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Salford Lads Club
Posts: 7,647
AMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation hereAMISTILLILL has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubu05
He's also been asked to be the playmaker and facilitator. Which is something hes never done in his career It's like trying to tell Durant to run a team offensively. Be the playmaker, be the scorer, be the PG and scoring SF at the same time. How do you think he would do? Have you for one second stopped and though.. well gee, Melo has never been this bad before, has anything changed? Has he been facing double-teams all year because STAT has been rendered into a Jason Collins-like player with no PG? Is he maybe out of his comfort zone doing something he's never done before?





You can face palm all you want, but there's absolutely no shortage of people mirroring my sentiments regarding the potential for Melo's return to mess up the chemistry emboldened by this current string of successful wins.

We aren't discussing Carmelo Anthony's struggles as a facilitator or playmaker, we're discussing the Carmelo Anthony who wants to put the team on his back by playing iso ball, all the while potentially freezing out options in the post like Amar'e... to the point that he has to acknowledge through various channels that he's been doing something wrong by not keeping his superstar teammate better involved. These aren't new revelations, dude.

Everything you're using to somehow mitigate the authenticity of claims against Melo as a ball stopper aren't really hitting their mark. So, if his struggles stem from being asked to play a role ill suited for the type of skill set he possesses, it would seem like Jeremy Lin playing a hefty distributing role would solve much of that. Only problem is that doesn't rectify Melo the ball stopper. He's never seen a shot he doesn't like, even if a higher percentage shot might be available elsewhere. With Lin's propensity for splitting defenders and driving to the basket, one can't help but wonder how willing Melo will be to give up touches in an effort to keep Lin initiated on the offensive end.

The whole argument that he played half a season on a depleted team argument is flawed. You make something out of nothing if you have to... look at what kind of regular season the Nuggets threw together in his absence. No discernible star power whatsoever but they made good with what they had.

Melo had a lot more talent as his second option than a lot of other stars did who pushed trades to new locales. Deron Williams, perhaps?
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #30
fubu05
Say Word?
 
fubu05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,686
fubu05 is considered somewhat coolfubu05 is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: the fantastic 4!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMISTILLILL
You can face palm all you want, but there's absolutely no shortage of people mirroring my sentiments regarding the potential for Melo's return to mess up the chemistry emboldened by this current string of successful wins.

We aren't discussing Carmelo Anthony's struggles as a facilitator or playmaker, we're discussing the Carmelo Anthony who wants to put the team on his back by playing iso ball, all the while potentially freezing out options in the post like Amar'e... to the point that he has to acknowledge through various channels that he's been doing something wrong by not keeping his superstar teammate better involved. These aren't new revelations, dude.

Everything you're using to somehow mitigate the authenticity of claims against Melo as a ball stopper aren't really hitting their mark. So, if his struggles stem from being asked to play a role ill suited for the type of skill set he possesses, it would seem like Jeremy Lin playing a hefty distributing role would solve much of that. Only problem is that doesn't rectify Melo the ball stopper. He's never seen a shot he doesn't like, even if a higher percentage shot might be available elsewhere. With Lin's propensity for splitting defenders and driving to the basket, one can't help but wonder how willing Melo will be to give up touches in an effort to keep Lin initiated on the offensive end.

The whole argument that he played half a season on a depleted team argument is flawed. You make something out of nothing if you have to... look at what kind of regular season the Nuggets threw together in his absence. No discernible star power whatsoever but they made good with what they had.

Melo had a lot more talent as his second option than a lot of other stars did who pushed trades to new locales. Deron Williams, perhaps?

All your questions are answered by Melo's previous seasons in Denver. He played alongside Andre Miller. He was able to play off AI who is one of the more ball-dominant PGs the league has seen. He played alongside Billups as the Nuggets went to the WCF.

For me, Melo's biggest criticism has been he doesn't make his teammates better like LeBron does.

However, I have never heard that Melo, maybe the most versatile offensive player in the league? (Maybe 2nd to Kobe) Has actually TAKEN AWAY from his teammates, when he wasn't supposed to. You gotta remember you're talking about one of the best scorers in the league. One of best talents offensively. If he's got a 1-on-1 on the block, and he takes it, there is no reason he shouldn't. This doesn't somehow completely nullify the pick-n-roll. If anything it makes the pick-n-roll easier because defense are then reminded they still have to not forget about Carmelo ****ing Anthony on the wings when they're trying to help out on the pick-n-roll.

I have heard that Melo doesn't make his teammates better, but to go so far as to say that he makes them worse? For me thats absurd. The attention Melo needs alone makes things easier for the other 4 players the Knicks have on the court. Because I guarantee you going into the game, the opposing coach is telling his team Melo is one player you never leave and forget about because he will burn you.
fubu05 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:07 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy