Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-14-2012, 03:19 AM   #16
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Mike Brown said Lakers had considered signing Jeremy Lin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I agree with you 100% We were asleep at the wheel again.
He was available because most teams in the NBA are very solid at the PG position....2 or 3 deep. The only teams who are in desperate need at that position are the Lakers and Heat.....so him being released is extremely misleading.

I wasn't even aware he was available this year until I heard he was sent to the D-League. My reaction was WTF is that guy doing in that league, he's better than that, if anything, we should've signed him and tried him out in the D-League. That was my reaction before his hot streak.......I had no feeling that he would ever do what he is doing now....but with as desperate a need as we have I would be bringing in everyone with NBA experience.
I thought Lin did enough last year to show that he belonged in the NBA.....but of course with Monta and Steph.....GS was the worst place for him to be....they had no use for him.
OMG DK, what is going on with you?
A few years back it was Fish, then Phil, then Pau last year, and early in the season, then Artest, then Mike Brown and Now the Lakers mgt?
As sleep at the wheel? Weren't you pretty happy with Goudelock a few weeks back?
I am asian, so Im extremely excited with his recent success just like when Yao was doing pretty good several yrs back. Having said that, I was not particularly impressed with Lin last year, yes of the limited time I say him play for the Warriors. I felt, before, that he was a below averaged perimter shooter. Lin came in at the perfect situation at New York where they used a system suited for him. Plus I heard that they have a shooting guru that helped re-worked Landry Fields shooting form. I followed Fields career in Stanford and he has vastly improved so im betting Lin is getting that kind of guidance. With that said, Im still not convinced that Jeremy would have thrived in a team where Kobe would dominate the ball etc.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #17
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
OMG DK, what is going on with you?
A few years back it was Fish, then Phil, then Pau last year, and early in the season, then Artest, then Mike Brown and Now the Lakers mgt?
As sleep at the wheel? Weren't you pretty happy with Goudelock a few weeks back?
I am asian, so Im extremely excited with his recent success just like when Yao was doing pretty good several yrs back. Having said that, I was not particularly impressed with Lin last year, yes of the limited time I say him play for the Warriors. I felt, before, that he was a below averaged perimter shooter. Lin came in at the perfect situation at New York where they used a system suited for him. Plus I heard that they have a shooting guru that helped re-worked Landry Fields shooting form. I followed Fields career in Stanford and he has vastly improved so im betting Lin is getting that kind of guidance. With that said, Im still not convinced that Jeremy would have thrived in a team where Kobe would dominate the ball etc.

Some of you guys either fail to read what I write or don't seem to understand very well. I still like Goudelock, he would be my starter right now.....where did you think I wrote anything to the contrary????

I am still waiting on Pau to be traded....I am hoping for this.
Brown was terrible with Cleveland too, I used to laugh at him and said I was glad he wasn't our coach......unfortunately we are stuck for now.

DFish was horribly subpar among PG's for the last 3 years.....no question about this.....don't embarass yourself by trying to disagree with this.

Metta......do you really want to argue with my comments about him......really??

Lakers MGMT has changed.......Jimmy is an idiot, he hired idiot Brown.
I'm still happy with Mitch and Jerry. Jeanie Buss should be running this team.
The comments I made about asleep at the wheel......of course they were, our team has been way behind the rest of the league in scouting for years, we placed no priority on it, had too few scouts and those were poor........WHY, because Phil didn't like young players, didn't want anything but experienced veterans.....so why would the team fight his wishes and spend a bundle on scouts.....no complaints, it worked for Phil. Understanding all of this.....you can see how guys can fall between the cracks.....it would be a complete miracle if we actually were decent at scouting......oh, add to the above that Jerry West did a bunch of scouting for the Lakers before Phil came in......this is how we got guys like Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones and Kobe.

Shooting Guru.......see, this is an issue I have had with our team.....last 2 years we had Chuck Person working our defense instead of being shooting coach.....who the hell is our shooting coach......whoever it is should be fired our shooting has collapsed. If you take away Pau's layups and his way too few dunks, his shooting percentage has nosedived horribly.....he needs help.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:52 PM   #18
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Some of you guys either fail to read what I write or don't seem to understand very well. I still like Goudelock, he would be my starter right now.....where did you think I wrote anything to the contrary????

Brown was terrible with Cleveland too, I used to laugh at him and said I was glad he wasn't our coach......unfortunately we are stuck for now.

DFish was horribly subpar among PG's for the last 3 years.....no question about this.....don't embarass yourself by trying to disagree with this.

The comments I made about asleep at the wheel......of course they were, our team has been way behind the rest of the league in scouting for years, we placed no priority on it, had too few scouts and those were poor........WHY, because Phil didn't like young players, didn't want anything but experienced veterans.....so why would the team fight his wishes and spend a bundle on scouts.....no complaints, it worked for Phil. Understanding all of this.....you can see how guys can fall between the cracks.....it would be a complete miracle if we actually were decent at scouting......oh, add to the above that Jerry West did a bunch of scouting for the Lakers before Phil came in......this is how we got guys like Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones and Kobe.

Shooting Guru.......see, this is an issue I have had with our team.....last 2 years we had Chuck Person working our defense instead of being shooting coach.....who the hell is our shooting coach......whoever it is should be fired our shooting has collapsed. If you take away Pau's layups and his way too few dunks, his shooting percentage has nosedived horribly.....he needs help.

Again, you don't know Jimmy, you've barely seen Brown. Come on DK, I gotta follow you everywhere? :p just kidding.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #19
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Again, you don't know Jimmy, you've barely seen Brown. Come on DK, I gotta follow you everywhere? :p just kidding.

Oh I don't??????? OK, Whatever YOU say
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #20
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Oh I don't??????? OK, Whatever YOU say

I can also hear your thoughts Stop thinking about whatever you are NOW!
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #21
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

As for Jimmy Buss, I am also extremely worried about him making decisions for the team simply bec I don't know him enough, so.

I also agree that Fish has really slowed down and probably is not helping the team much. You know how much I hate World Peach lurking the perimeter that I wish Brown would impose a "reverse 3 second rule" on him as in every time he is caught in the 3pt area for more than 3 secs, he would be slapped in the face the next day.
But then again, these guys have pulled through for the team before so I think there is "some good" in them to stay and play some mins. The Boston game, I felt, it was not a coincidence that Pierce struggled all game and did not find his rhythm when Peace was guarded him.
The ironic thing is when I was critical of Kobe, you were so upset and preached/YELLED this mantra.

"YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE GOOD WITH THE BAD"
But when it comes to Kobe's teammates, you see only the bad and you want a guy like Pau traded, PERIOD!
You see Mike Brown as a terrible coach, bad bad bad,
Management is sleeping at the wheel and yet they drafted Goudelock?
You hate everything about Jimmy but wasn't he the one who found arguably the 2nd best center in the league?
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:41 PM   #22
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

just got a text from a friend :

rubio love & ridnour = fish pau and player to be named later
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:03 AM   #23
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
As for Jimmy Buss, I am also extremely worried about him making decisions for the team simply bec I don't know him enough, so.

I also agree that Fish has really slowed down and probably is not helping the team much. You know how much I hate World Peach lurking the perimeter that I wish Brown would impose a "reverse 3 second rule" on him as in every time he is caught in the 3pt area for more than 3 secs, he would be slapped in the face the next day.
But then again, these guys have pulled through for the team before so I think there is "some good" in them to stay and play some mins. The Boston game, I felt, it was not a coincidence that Pierce struggled all game and did not find his rhythm when Peace was guarded him.
The ironic thing is when I was critical of Kobe, you were so upset and preached/YELLED this mantra.

"YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE GOOD WITH THE BAD"
But when it comes to Kobe's teammates, you see only the bad and you want a guy like Pau traded, PERIOD!
You see Mike Brown as a terrible coach, bad bad bad,
Management is sleeping at the wheel and yet they drafted Goudelock?
You hate everything about Jimmy but wasn't he the one who found arguably the 2nd best center in the league?

Sorry Tam, I fail to understand where you are going with this other that to bash Kobe Draft picks??? There is a great saying that goes like this: Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while

Hell, a broken clock is right twice a day. A player who sucks can have a good game.

Last edited by DKLaker : 02-15-2012 at 02:14 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:11 AM   #24
Big_Dogg
Dunktacular

Big_Dogg is a pretty well-respected posterBig_Dogg is a pretty well-respected posterBig_Dogg is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
just got a text from a friend :

rubio love & ridnour = fish pau and player to be named later

I'll believe that when I see it on ESPN
Big_Dogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:06 AM   #25
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Wow......you are extremely confused
Clyde Drexler was already a superstar on the Blazers BEFORE Jordan was drafted......please read up on the history of the game......I can't even discuss what you have no knowledge of......I know you weren't born yet.
It was Sam Bowie who was selected 1st because he was a center and Jordan was drafted 2nd....EVERYONE knew Jordan was going to be a superstar,

Don't take this the wrong way (i.e., as an attack on you), but it's silly to criticize someone's knowledge of "the history of the game" and then get your own facts wrong a couple of sentences later. Bowie was not the first pick of the 84 draft, and Jordan was not the second. Akeem Olajuwon was picked before either of them.

And even back then, without the benefit of hindsight, many people were surprised that the Blazers picked Bowie, even though their rationale for doing so (which you laid out very well) was legit. Like you said, everyone knew Jordan was going to be very, very good (though no one expected him to be the best ever). It took Chicago all of two seconds to snatch Jordan up after Portland made its pick.

And Drexler was NOT an established superstar in 1984. Look here:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...drexlcl01.html
Drexler was coming off his ROOKIE season at the time of the 84 draft, where he averaged about 17 minutes and 7 points. Portland knew they had a great prospect in Drexler, but he was by no means the surefire Hall-of-Famer we all know him to be today. The reason Portland didn't choose Jordan was only partly because of Drexler's presence and more because they already had an All-Star guard in Jim Paxson.

I have much respect for you, DK. But don't be silly.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #26
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
Don't take this the wrong way (i.e., as an attack on you), but it's silly to criticize someone's knowledge of "the history of the game" and then get your own facts wrong a couple of sentences later. Bowie was not the first pick of the 84 draft, and Jordan was not the second. Akeem Olajuwon was picked before either of them.

And even back then, without the benefit of hindsight, many people were surprised that the Blazers picked Bowie, even though their rationale for doing so (which you laid out very well) was legit. Like you said, everyone knew Jordan was going to be very, very good (though no one expected him to be the best ever). It took Chicago all of two seconds to snatch Jordan up after Portland made its pick.

And Drexler was NOT an established superstar in 1984. Look here:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/...drexlcl01.html
Drexler was coming off his ROOKIE season at the time of the 84 draft, where he averaged about 17 minutes and 7 points. Portland knew they had a great prospect in Drexler, but he was by no means the surefire Hall-of-Famer we all know him to be today. The reason Portland didn't choose Jordan was only partly because of Drexler's presence and more because they already had an All-Star guard in Jim Paxson.

I have much respect for you, DK. But don't be silly.

Nice to see you on here Frank, you should post far more often than you do....trust me I love having another old, smart guy on here

To your point, I'm not being silly at all....I do sometimes lose patience with kids on here who will argue about stuff that happened 20 years before they were born...most times they will just read stats and don't even bother to look at old footage or read about the situation.....and they sure the hell don't listen to guys who were actually an adult at the time and were following the team.

Drexler was extremely highly hyped from his time in college where he teamed with Hakeem....Phi Slamma Jamma team at Houston (College...not NBA).
He was just as Kobe was....supposed to be very special, don't look at how he started or what one writer wrote as an indication......he was a HUGE deal.

Jordan was Highly hyped from his NCAA Championship team as a Freshman.....I don't know what you heard but Jordan was supposed to become a top 10 ever......I didn't believe all the hype.....all I ever heard was how dominant and great he would be and this was BEFORE he got drafted.
Obviously I got it wrong....I knew he was very good and would improve.....but DAMN!!!

Anyway....I got tons of respect for you Frank so please post more
Old 02-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #27
Frank Foley

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Nice to see you on here Frank, you should post far more often than you do....trust me I love having another old, smart guy on here

To your point, I'm not being silly at all....I do sometimes lose patience with kids on here who will argue about stuff that happened 20 years before they were born...most times they will just read stats and don't even bother to look at old footage or read about the situation.....and they sure the hell don't listen to guys who were actually an adult at the time and were following the team.

I appreciate the sentiment, but you didn't really address any of my points. Also, I'm 26, and you destroyed a not-insignificant part of my soul when you called me "old" just now.

And, not to belabor the point, but I think you're overstating the kind of hype Jordan was getting.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/...astyin-houston

Quote:
"[Jordan] was good," Jack Ramsay, the then-Portland coach recalled in a rather obvious description. "I saw him on that [1984] Olympic team. My Portland team, our rookies and free agents, scrimmaged against them. Everybody says now they knew, 'Oh, yeah,' but I'll tell you no one predicted this."

[...]

"Michael is a very good offensive player but not an overpowering one," Rod Thorn, then the Bulls' GM, said after drafting Jordan. "He's not the kind of guy who will single-handedly turn around a franchise, and I'd never ask him to do that."
Old 02-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #28
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
I appreciate the sentiment, but you didn't really address any of my points. Also, I'm 26, and you destroyed a not-insignificant part of my soul when you called me "old" just now.

And, not to belabor the point, but I think you're overstating the kind of hype Jordan was getting.

http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/...astyin-houston

Everyone has opinions.....each one different.

I was already a grown man when Jordan started at North Carolina, so I don't need to READ what someone else said. I had tons of basketball people around me to hear opinions from back then.....so I absolutely remember. My best friend R.I.P never let me forget about it. I am in no way overstating the hype.....but again, trying to tell someone who wasn't even around is a waste of my time.....they never listen. As the saying goes "You had to be there".
Kids rely way too much on what the read......I was doing some research for a book project and I found entire articles in major magazines which were completely wrong......I thought I was losing it for a moment but then when I looked at the old newspapers I saw my memory of dates and incidents was perfect......I was shocked that Sports Illustrated and others were so sloppy.
It was indisputable....I even spoke to a friend of mine who was involved in 1 incident and he laughed that it was so wrong. I'll take my being there and witnessing it over a few random articles any day.
There were even articles where in the paper the story changed 3 times in two weeks.....if you went by the first article you would've gotten the wrong story.......back in the day, people were misquoted all the time in the paper......there was no recourse because there was no Twitter.
One thing I do know is that you can't tell kids anything.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #29
Frank Foley

Quote:
I was already a grown man when Jordan started at North Carolina, so I don't need to READ what someone else said. I had tons of basketball people around me to hear opinions from back then.....so I absolutely remember. My best friend R.I.P never let me forget about it. I am in no way overstating the hype.....but again, trying to tell someone who wasn't even around is a waste of my time.....they never listen.

Haha, your approach with me went from "You should post more, you smart old guy" to "Bah, kids these days" in record time. No hard feelings. Sorry for not being born earlier.

The "I was there, recorded facts suck" argument doesn't really float, especially on the internet. My dad was watching and reading everything in the '80's, too, and he and his friends have been involved in basketball (at the high school and semi-pro level) for decades. They're the sort that was fanatical enough to map out ALL of the Lakers' individual possessions in a given game, just because. They'd give hour-long clinics at the drop of a hat. They'd know all about Elgin's built-in headfake and his unstoppable left (off) hand. They'd talk about how Jerry would ALWAYS go right, and how everyone in the building knew it... and how it usually didn't matter. They'd rant about how Happy Hairston was unappreciated, about how Bill Sharman used Jedi Mind Tricks before Phil ever learned how, how Mitch Kupchak should have been the Savior at power forward before he blew his knee out playing against Kobe's dad, how fast A.C. Green used to be running the break, blahblahblah you get the idea.

And they've all told me that no one saw Jordan coming. Your recollection of things may differ, but please don't dismiss others' opinions as uninformed just because someone's younger than you. That'd be like if someone here were to say, "Never mind what DKLaker says. He's a senile, intractable curmudgeon." Actually, that probably has happened, but it doesn't make it right.

Hopefully you understand my stance better. Play nice.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 AM   #30
All Net
Twitter-@AllNetSports

All Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableAll Net is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ugh if only
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: