Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #31
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,761
lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Mike Brown said Lakers had considered signing Jeremy Lin...

Definitely not necessary to point out age in arguments. If everyone has different opinions, why dismiss them ALL the time?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #32
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
DKLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,147
DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Mike Brown said Lakers had considered signing Jeremy Lin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
Haha, your approach with me went from "You should post more, you smart old guy" to "Bah, kids these days" in record time. No hard feelings. Sorry for not being born earlier.

The "I was there, recorded facts suck" argument doesn't really float, especially on the internet. My dad was watching and reading everything in the '80's, too, and he and his friends have been involved in basketball (at the high school and semi-pro level) for decades. They're the sort that was fanatical enough to map out ALL of the Lakers' individual possessions in a given game, just because. They'd give hour-long clinics at the drop of a hat. They'd know all about Elgin's built-in headfake and his unstoppable left (off) hand. They'd talk about how Jerry would ALWAYS go right, and how everyone in the building knew it... and how it usually didn't matter. They'd rant about how Happy Hairston was unappreciated, about how Bill Sharman used Jedi Mind Tricks before Phil ever learned how, how Mitch Kupchak should have been the Savior at power forward before he blew his knee out playing against Kobe's dad, how fast A.C. Green used to be running the break, blahblahblah you get the idea.

And they've all told me that no one saw Jordan coming. Your recollection of things may differ, but please don't dismiss others' opinions as uninformed just because someone's younger than you. That'd be like if someone here were to say, "Never mind what DKLaker says. He's a senile, intractable curmudgeon." Actually, that probably has happened, but it doesn't make it right.

Hopefully you understand my stance better. Play nice.

I got no problem with you at all. I have liked your posts in the past. If I don't respect the opinion of someone who didn't live it, talking about a time period they know nothing about, that is just me.....but there is no hate intended. And yes, I feel you should post more
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:12 PM   #33
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,761
lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Mike Brown said Lakers had considered signing Jeremy Lin...

Quote:
The Lakers put in a waiver claim on Lin after Golden State dropped him on Dec. 9, but the Houston Rockets had a worse record last season and thus were awarded Lin ahead of the Lakers. After the Rockets also waived Lin on Dec. 24, the Lakers were again interested but didnít even bother putting in a claim after realizing other teams with worse records last season were again going after Lin.
http://lakers.ocregister.com/2012/02...arriors/69243/

This is to furthermore, kill any speculation by Kobesabi and DK that the lakers were "sleeping" on the job.

Not only did they want him, they were in line to get him. New CBA rules didn't allow them to because others had first priority.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:34 PM   #34
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,502
tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Mike Brown said Lakers had considered signing Jeremy Lin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
Haha, your approach with me went from "You should post more, you smart old guy" to "Bah, kids these days" in record time. No hard feelings. Sorry for not being born earlier.

The "I was there, recorded facts suck" argument doesn't really float, especially on the internet. My dad was watching and reading everything in the '80's, too, and he and his friends have been involved in basketball (at the high school and semi-pro level) for decades. They're the sort that was fanatical enough to map out ALL of the Lakers' individual possessions in a given game, just because. They'd give hour-long clinics at the drop of a hat. They'd know all about Elgin's built-in headfake and his unstoppable left (off) hand. They'd talk about how Jerry would ALWAYS go right, and how everyone in the building knew it... and how it usually didn't matter. They'd rant about how Happy Hairston was unappreciated, about how Bill Sharman used Jedi Mind Tricks before Phil ever learned how, how Mitch Kupchak should have been the Savior at power forward before he blew his knee out playing against Kobe's dad, how fast A.C. Green used to be running the break, blahblahblah you get the idea.

And they've all told me that no one saw Jordan coming. Your recollection of things may differ, but please don't dismiss others' opinions as uninformed just because someone's younger than you. That'd be like if someone here were to say, "Never mind what DKLaker says. He's a senile, intractable curmudgeon." Actually, that probably has happened, but it doesn't make it right.

Hopefully you understand my stance better. Play nice.

Let me just echo what DK said, no not about ages, ignorance etc
but how you should post more. We need smart posters here who provide facts, well thought out opinions backed up by links etc.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:37 PM   #35
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,502
tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Mike Brown said Lakers had considered signing Jeremy Lin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
http://lakers.ocregister.com/2012/02...arriors/69243/

This is to furthermore, kill any speculation by Kobesabi and DK that the lakers were "sleeping" on the job.

Not only did they want him, they were in line to get him. New CBA rules didn't allow them to because others had first priority.

thanks for the info. I guess DK's informants missed this little fact.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:43 AM   #36
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert
 
kobesabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surf Cities
Posts: 3,257
kobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Mike Brown said Lakers had considered signing Jeremy Lin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
You have helped me prove my point with the bolded. If someone doesn't see that little fly that flew across the blackboard, the chances are, most or all have not seen it either. I doubt that Mitch and any GM as well as scouts in the league all read someone else's scouting report, and then make a decision on it. Why else did the lakers trade for Pau? Simply because after studying his game for a long time, they knew there would be a potentially perfect fit.
Just because others didn't see the little fly does not mean you have to be blind like them too. Mitch has his rights whether to read more reports or not...work hard or not...to gather more facts or not before making judgment. If I were GM, I would always go with multiple reports incase 1 is incorrect, then you be screw for having limiting yourself in the first place. If there were conflicting, then I'd be interested to know why. Relying on external source to anything is always 2nd rate and maybe not as good as your own unless you are not proficient at it and have to rely on someone else. But if that is the case, then you shouldn't be GM in the first place. I'm saying it because at the end of the day, regardless of whatever source or sources or however you did it before making your action/decision, people, owner, fans would still held you accountable for making that decision.

People come and go and staffs change almost every year. Don't forget, young players are still growing so things may change at the beginning of every season. Next, did your scouts really were working for you and did he do a good job or just so-so or sloppy job. It's hard to know because you are not there to check on their work.

Maybe the time they made trade to get Pau had better staffs working for them than this year. If everything was static, it would be easy to decide.

Just like teams missing out on Lin because they think he is still same as his garbage minutes in NBA games...and probably because he was undrafted...they probably think not worth doing extra homework or give him the time to really check on him and know his potential and just do sloppy estimate or plagarize someone else report or BS to give it your boss. Those kind of sloppy or narrow minded people do exist and some appeared to be already in Lin's story. They didn't do their own homework or hired sloppy sux0r staffs...and maybe about time to need some new staff replacement.

The evaluators (scouts, whatever) did not know he worked on offseason with some asst coach to improve his weakness.

Quote:
offseason with a shooting coach to correct a perimeter game that was a weakness. Or weren’t aware that he asks assistant coaches to have tape available in the morning for extra study before practicing.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-landinglin
Quote:
Kobesabi is saying that "teams need to do their own research, rather than going by what others say".
I always believe in that philosophy whether in this situation or at work or listen to someone saying something to me. It is always best to see it first hand than second hand info. If you can't do it yourself and have to rely on others due to limited time or whatever, make sure you get multiple sources as you can and hope the guys you hired are the best with accurate insights. If not, time to hire more or new ones. Not everyone sees the same thing someone else see. Not everything has only one solution to solve something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Just like what you say before. I don't take it seriously until I see the plausible real answer. Anyway, thanks to B0B0 and your link above, I will take that as partly the answer to why we don't see any action from Lakers. But because the way Brown answered Mitch, it maybe why they didn't bother taking chances to try to claim Lin again? If I'm a GM and desperately looking for a PG, I would be doing my own homework and also use scouts report as a conjunction to see all possible different insights during important desperate time. I know it is a team thing, but you can't sit out on your lazy azz and just let someone do the work for you. You have to do some of it yourself to reap the benefits of many minds at work and not letting anything sneaked under the radar. Nevertheless, I still stick to my philosophy, there is nothing better as doing your own work than using someone else work as partly your work.

Last edited by kobesabi : 02-17-2012 at 01:52 AM.
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:09 AM   #37
kobesabi
Double Dribble Expert
 
kobesabi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Surf Cities
Posts: 3,257
kobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation herekobesabi has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Mike Brown said Lakers had considered signing Jeremy Lin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Some of you guys either fail to read what I write or don't seem to understand very well. I still like Goudelock, he would be my starter right now.....where did you think I wrote anything to the contrary????

I am still waiting on Pau to be traded....I am hoping for this.
Brown was terrible with Cleveland too, I used to laugh at him and said I was glad he wasn't our coach......unfortunately we are stuck for now.

DFish was horribly subpar among PG's for the last 3 years.....no question about this.....don't embarass yourself by trying to disagree with this.

Metta......do you really want to argue with my comments about him......really??

Lakers MGMT has changed.......Jimmy is an idiot, he hired idiot Brown.
I'm still happy with Mitch and Jerry. Jeanie Buss should be running this team.
The comments I made about asleep at the wheel......of course they were, our team has been way behind the rest of the league in scouting for years, we placed no priority on it, had too few scouts and those were poor........WHY, because Phil didn't like young players, didn't want anything but experienced veterans.....so why would the team fight his wishes and spend a bundle on scouts.....no complaints, it worked for Phil. Understanding all of this.....you can see how guys can fall between the cracks.....it would be a complete miracle if we actually were decent at scouting......oh, add to the above that Jerry West did a bunch of scouting for the Lakers before Phil came in......this is how we got guys like Nick Van Exel, Eddie Jones and Kobe.

Shooting Guru.......see, this is an issue I have had with our team.....last 2 years we had Chuck Person working our defense instead of being shooting coach.....who the hell is our shooting coach......whoever it is should be fired our shooting has collapsed. If you take away Pau's layups and his way too few dunks, his shooting percentage has nosedived horribly.....he needs help.


I agree with you. Pau is great but if we can get better with other trades such as Dwight, then by all mean :) The twin tower isn't working between Bynum and Pau. Maybe Pau and Dwight can work better...but Kobe, Dwight, and great PG will work beautifully.

About Jimmy, I think he purposely pull back the second offer to New Orlean for CP3 to play poker bluff with David Stern. Had he really wanted CP3, I think he would not do that.

Last edited by kobesabi : 02-17-2012 at 01:20 AM.
kobesabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #38
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
DKLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,147
DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Mike Brown said Lakers had considered signing Jeremy Lin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi


I agree with you. Pau is great but if we can get better with other trades such as Dwight, then by all mean :) The twin tower isn't working between Bynum and Pau. Maybe Pau and Dwight can work better...but Kobe, Dwight, and great PG will work beautifully.

About Jimmy, I think he purposely pull back the second offer to New Orlean for CP3 to play poker bluff with David Stern. Had he really wanted CP3, I think he would not do that.


Now there's a damn excellent point you made about that.
It would've worked too.....but then Stern instructed his people to contact the Clippers and try to re-work their deal.......His goal was to screw us over....no doubt about that. What he did most is completely screw the people of New Orleans......what a disaster that is!!! They would've had Martin, Scola, Dragic AND Odom!!!! That team would've been as good or better than what Houston has done this season. I hope Stern ultimately gets canned for this.
I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy that team after this disaster.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #39
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,502
tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Mike Brown said Lakers had considered signing Jeremy Lin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
http://lakers.ocregister.com/2012/02...arriors/69243/

This is to furthermore, kill any speculation by Kobesabi and DK that the lakers were "sleeping" on the job.

Not only did they want him, they were in line to get him. New CBA rules didn't allow them to because others had first priority.

Just incase you missed my post, thanks again for the info.
Keep it up, we need smart posters like you here.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:17 PM   #40
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,761
lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Mike Brown said Lakers had considered signing Jeremy Lin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobesabi

About Jimmy, I think he purposely pull back the second offer to New Orlean for CP3 to play poker bluff with David Stern. Had he really wanted CP3, I think he would not do that.

I do agree that this could have also been the situation. These guys are great poker players. Jerry taught them well

The NBA is a business after all. The best business men are the ones who survive. If this ends up being true, i'd be happy.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:43 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy