Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 02-12-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: What did you do/feel after you finished your bachelor's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsfan1357
I majored in Urban Planning. Doesn't help that in California, Jerry Brown cut off all redevelopment funds so a lot of jobs are kind of in limbo right now. I'm looking at pretty much every other state, but no luck so far.
Googled urban planning and read a comment that said that there were only 2 dozen urban planning jobs nationwide. Hope the economy recovers and jobs open up for you man. Are you prepared to move to any part of the country if a position opens up? What are you doing in the meantime
Quote:
Nah, work ethic isn't anything you lose overnight in most cases. You'll be fine, just be patient and keep your goal in mind in the hard times.
Yeah. Just gonna keep busy working in the labs instead of ****ing off for the next 6 months.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:00 PM   #17
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
props. that's what my dad and brother did. no friggin' way did i have the discipline or personality to aim for that.
Thanks. Yeah, my sister could barely handle it and her work ethic is pretty damn good. Didn't get matched for residency and now she's in internal medicine.
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:03 PM   #18
Draz
Like a Baoss.

Draz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDraz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Trying to complete my AS =(
Draz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
sunsfan1357
Word.

sunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation heresunsfan1357 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shlver
Googled urban planning and read a comment that said that there were only 2 dozen urban planning jobs nationwide. Hope the economy recovers and jobs open up for you man. Are you prepared to move to any part of the country if a position opens up? What are you doing in the meantime

Yeah. Just gonna keep busy working in the labs instead of ****ing off for the next 6 months.
Appreciate the kind words. Right now I'm a night auditor at a hotel, pretty much closing out the daily financial stuff and taking care of whatever needs to be done overnight. Probably sounds more important than it really is

I wouldn't say I'm necessarily prepared to move to any part of the country, but I am willing. I'm mostly looking in places where I know people just so I can have some sort of support system if I'm in unfamiliar territory. Might actually move out to Nebraska for a while in the summer with one of my best friends who lives there.
sunsfan1357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Relief. Nothing but massive relief.

University (and school in general) was the most stressful time of my life. High school was easy and I floated through with good grades but University was another beast. I never enjoyed school but obviously knew the benefits of going and finishing but the pressure of exams, essays, projects and then finally my undergrad thesis were always annoying. The possibility of fucking something up that you (well, my parents) paid so much money for was always in the back of my mind and scared the crap out of me. I decided against going for a Masters. Maybe I'll regret that one day but I really didn't enjoy the pressures of school.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:24 PM   #21
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I didn't feel much after graduating with my Bachelors because I went on to grad school. I felt more getting my Master's because it took more work to get, and it was more of a relief because I knew at that point if I failed my doctorate for whatever reason, I could still get a job with my Master's (not so much with my Bachelor's, because a B.S. in Psych is almost worthless, lol).
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #22
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
I didn't feel much after graduating with my Bachelors because I went on to grad school. I felt more getting my Master's because it took more work to get, and it was more of a relief because I knew at that point if I failed my doctorate for whatever reason, I could still get a job with my Master's (not so much with my Bachelor's, because a B.S. in Psych is almost worthless, lol).

hey but at least it looks nice on your wall
congrats on masters btw
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #23
JEFFERSON MONEY
A bit crazy

JEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJEFFERSON MONEY is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Nothing cuz I'll always have a special place in my heart for the uunnnivverrsitty of cooneeeccctttiicutttt!
JEFFERSON MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #24
soadrules
Good High School Starter

soadrules has decent reputation

I'm still in my sophomore year. I can't wait to graduate. I know it's going to be bitersweet, and I know I'm going to have the same regrets as you, but for someone doing pre-med like you, I'm not sure why you regret doing more social things. You may not have had time to keep your grades up.
soadrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:55 PM   #25
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

pretty shitty and unfulfilled. i basically gave up in my fourth year, wound up wasting $2000+, and settled on a shitty general. doesn't matter though, i'm not really interesting in pursuing academia in the long or even mid term. shit's too boring and there are too many other options. hopefully that mindset isn't just pie in the sky bs lol

though the realization that i'd never have to pound out another 15 pages of total rubbish analysis felt pretty darn good.

so you decided to head right into med school? i hope that works for you. i feel you on not really 'living' at university... i can't relate myself but i certainly know people who had the same diehard focus to the extent that not caring wasn't really an option.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #26
Noob Saibot
NBA lottery pick

Noob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected poster

I was relieved as f*ck to get out. job hunt is still going for me, but i should hear from my interview results real soon though. cross my fingers.
Noob Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: