Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #1
WillC
Local High School Star

WillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat cool
Default Top 5 backboard breaking dunks

The riots in London got me thinking about how this small minority of kids have nothing better to do than cause mayhem. Thankfully, as a teacher, I know that the majority of young people would never dream of acting in such a way.

If they're going to smash glass and break things, at least do it in style like these guys...

http://basketballjournalist.blogspot...ing-dunks.html

What's your favourite backboard breaking dunk of all-time? I'm sure I missed out some legendary dunks, but these are my top 5.
WillC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Top 5 backboard breaking dunks

That's a pretty solid Top Five. They're all among my favorites. But if I had to go deeper, I'd roll with:

Chris Morris (to try to stick to an NBA theme): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R4nQ0u6dI4

Tractor Traylor (respecting my Ann Arbor roots): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDs7yG3FQpw

By the way, your self description on your website's front page sounds disturbingly like me. Only, I just have each SLAM from '97 on forward, only every All-Star Game from '95 on forward, I was most influenced by my NBA Jam Session VHS, and my girlfriend is probably tired of hearing about basketball from me all the time.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 08-16-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #3
WillC
Local High School Star

WillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat coolWillC is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
That's a pretty solid Top Five. They're all among my favorites. But if I had to go deeper, I'd roll with:

Chris Morris (to try to stick to an NBA theme): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R4nQ0u6dI4

Tractor Traylor (respecting my Ann Arbor roots): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDs7yG3FQpw

By the way, your self description on your website's front page sounds disturbingly like me. Only, I just have each SLAM from '97 on forward, only every All-Star Game from '95 on forward, I was most influenced by my NBA Jam Session VHS, and my girlfriend is probably tired of hearing about basketball from me all the time.

Haha, we certainly sound very similar! I have NBA Jam Session on VHS too, but it's not nearly as well-watched as NBA Superstars 3 (which I can honestly say I've watched at least 150 times).
Old 08-16-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
Rose
Moon Wizard

Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'd replace Love's with Tractor Traylor's. Good list again.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
WillC
Local High School Star

I just really like Love's reaction when he shatters the backboard, that's why it made my top 5.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #6
WillC
Local High School Star

I know it's only a high school game, but this might be one of the best backboard breaking dunks ever... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J40C9asMDas
Old 08-23-2011, 03:58 AM   #7
crosso√er
Decent college freshman

crosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected postercrosso√er is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillC
I know it's only a high school game, but this might be one of the best backboard breaking dunks ever... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J40C9asMDas

The way the glass fell on the other player really elevates this dunk even further. Nice find...and a good list.
crosso√er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:19 AM   #8
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I've always been jealous of those types of backboard breaks. The dunks by guys like Kevin Love and Robert Traylor, when they jump off one foot from the front of the basket and then dunk with two hands, creating maximum force from their weight, those ones I can understand. But when players are able to have the backboard shatter nearly the moment their hand touches the rim, I just wonder why I've never been able to be so lucky. Like Blue Edwards at 1:07 in the clip below. He's undoubtedly a better dunker than I could ever dream to be, but on that particular clip, he shattered a backboard by doing what a lot of us can do ourselves (a one hand dunk with medium authority).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBma6...3A7&index= 55
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM   #9
WillC
Local High School Star

Nice!

All the better for having Offspring as the soundtrack.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Nice!

All the better for having Offspring as the soundtrack.
Right? That guy has a multitude of mixes with that genre of music. It's a great change of pace (also liked his David Robinson mix to Nine Inch Nails' "Complication").
Old 08-23-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
WillC
Local High School Star

It definitely makes a change from hip-hop soundtracks to basketball highlights.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 PM   #12
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Apologies for posting this in a 2nd thread (alongside Stro's dunk thread) but I am looking for some quick feedback. Is the audio on this Blue Edwards clip normal? Or is it too loud? Only one speaker? I appreciate any help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9XYG...ature=youtu.be
Old 02-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #13
andgar923
soundcloud.com/agua-1

andgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandgar923 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Chocolate Thunder would def be the best, followed by Shaq.
andgar923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
adbgonzalez
Can barely lace up my sneakers

adbgonzalez has an OK reputation so far

Not top 5, because the glass doesn't fall, but one handed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIFFTjjFw-g
adbgonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #15
WillC
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Apologies for posting this in a 2nd thread (alongside Stro's dunk thread) but I am looking for some quick feedback. Is the audio on this Blue Edwards clip normal? Or is it too loud? Only one speaker? I appreciate any help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9XYG...ature=youtu.be

Definitely fake sound effects.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: