Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 02-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
Ai2death
I am ZeNs B*tch

Ai2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation here
Default Dealing with players.

Backstory:

I play in a local league. I'm ok, not great but far from bad. I'm a solid reliable combo guard.
Last week our team captain broke his collar bone at the end of the game. He has since put me in charge. I don't have a problem leading the team which I basically did already since I have a fairly good knowledge of the game. However I am looking for opinions on how to deal with a recent issue.
We are short on players at the moment thanks to some recent injuries, and now one of the players has said he can't play this week due to it being valentines day. We were left with 4 players. I have sourced some outside help who are keen to get onto the team. So my question is what do I do about this player? He has been unreliable in the past but this is a new low. I feel disrespected my his lack of committment as does the team. But am I being to hard on him?
I want to drop him and just use him as a fill in if needed. Or make him apologise to the team and earn his playing time back.... Any opinions??
Ai2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #2
chairman
The Return

chairman has decent reputationchairman has decent reputation
Default Re: Dealing with players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ai2death
Backstory:

I play in a local league. I'm ok, not great but far from bad. I'm a solid reliable combo guard.
Last week our team captain broke his collar bone at the end of the game. He has since put me in charge. I don't have a problem leading the team which I basically did already since I have a fairly good knowledge of the game. However I am looking for opinions on how to deal with a recent issue.
We are short on players at the moment thanks to some recent injuries, and now one of the players has said he can't play this week due to it being valentines day. We were left with 4 players. I have sourced some outside help who are keen to get onto the team. So my question is what do I do about this player? He has been unreliable in the past but this is a new low. I feel disrespected my his lack of committment as does the team. But am I being to hard on him?
I want to drop him and just use him as a fill in if needed. Or make him apologise to the team and earn his playing time back.... Any opinions??
You're gonna punish someone for not playing on Valentines day? Not only that you want to drop him when you're already short on players? What kind of leader are you. It's just a local game this isn't the nba. Ignore it and find someone else to play even if it is a scrub.
chairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
Kiarip
High School Starter

Kiarip is considered somewhat coolKiarip is considered somewhat cool

Yeah, don't try to punish the guy when you're not willing to completely drop him. And obviously don't drop him if there's any chance you're gonna need him to ever play again. Just tell him to take it a bit more serious, still it is Valentine's day so people have different priorities sometimes, especially in a rec. league.

Overall, you just gotta let him know that you expect more consistency, don't try to take a moral high-ground and pummel him from there, that's always a bad idea in positions of leadership, and don't try to punish him in a way that just doesn't make sense (you didn't show up for the game, so now you don't get playing time next time you do show up... stuff like that is just dumb.)
Kiarip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
Ai2death
I am ZeNs B*tch

Ai2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation hereAi2death has an incredible reputation here

1) He begged to play for his team after missing the first game of the season. He was dropped from the team last season due to unreliability.

2) We were only short on players cause I was relying on him to play. I have 2 players you filled in said game and are ultra keen to continue playing. Both of whom also fit the rotation much smoother.
Ai2death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:59 PM   #5
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I must ask, what kind of league are we dealing with here? Your story makes it sound like you're heading an NBA team. In my rec league experiences, we didn't have one leader who'd then hand the keys over to another single player when he went down with an injury. And we certainly didn't look to impose team punishments for not being able to make it to a game. What good would it be to drop a player altogether because he missed some games? It certainly seems, from this perspective, that things are being taken a little too seriously over there. On top of everything else, I'm not sure I could fault a guy for not attending basketball on Valentine's Day.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm interested in knowing what disciplinary actions you took, OP. How'd it go?
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:52 AM   #7
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

He's shady. Take him or leave him.

You're not gonna change him and making him apologize is something for 8-year olds.

He is who he is.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: