Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-14-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
iamgine

Default Why Jeremy Lin can be the next Steve Nash

Coach Nick breaks down the latest sensation in the Big Apple - LINSANITY, as Jeremy Lin has led a resurgence with the Knicks. Will Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire be able to blend back in and keep the team winning? Will the rest of the league figure Lin out and shut him down?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIbz2...HLxBaw8sZw7SkA
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:26 AM   #2
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Default Re: Why Jeremy Lin can be the next Steve Nash

pretty good breakdown, per usual from coach nick. surprised he didn't say anything about driving to his left where he seems to have much more trouble finishing. anybody who watches the game and the skills and ability he has can see he's definitely a starting PG.

let's tap the brakes on a nash comparison though...nash is an all-time great. nash may be the best shooting PG ever, was always crafty in traffic and had incredible stamina. keep working on his dribbling and shooting and the sky is the limit for lin. at the end of the day, there's nothing wrong with being a slightly better version of say, mike conley. no one would have even thought half of that a couple weeks ago.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #3
DMV2
Banned

I think it's more about the style of play comparison than accomplishments.

I agree with a lot of what Coach Nick said with exception to his comment about Lin being a bad finisher. It seems like Coach Nick only focused on the Wolves game for his bad finishes. Lin's a great finisher around the rim after the penetration. I'd say he's a little better than Nash on that because he's more aggressive, whereas Nash always looks to dish it out rather than finish it off himself half the time.

Lin's bigger weakness is actually dishing out to his teammates after getting into the paint. His biggest weakness is of course his jumper, especially the 3's. That's an area he'll never be as good as Nash.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:09 AM   #4
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

How is he Nash? He's mainly a scorer and gets a ton of turnovers. What's he done that makes him look like the guy to lead the league in assists?
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
Micku
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV2

I agree with a lot of what Coach Nick said with exception to his comment about Lin being a bad finisher. It seems like Coach Nick only focused on the Wolves game for his bad finishes. Lin's a great finisher around the rim after the penetration. I'd say he's a little better than Nash on that because he's more aggressive, whereas Nash always looks to dish it out rather than finish it off himself half the time.

Lin's bigger weakness is actually dishing out to his teammates after getting into the paint. His biggest weakness is of course his jumper, especially the 3's. That's an area he'll never be as good as Nash.

I probably need to see more of him, but his mid-range game seems solid. Granted, teams gave him some shots at times, but I'm guessing it's more like they don't know what he could do and where his hotspots are yet.

His 3pt shot needs work.
Micku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #6
bluechox2
#knickstape

good breakdown
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #7
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV2

good points. i can understand style of play though nash has almost always been a good shooter. nash is able to set up at times off the ball to shoot.

i definitely think lin is at least average or above average in finishes. nash was sort of sneaky in his finishes. just really crafty...how many times has he used his hesitation dribble or just look lost and flip up a layup? lin can definitely finish with contact better and we'll have to see if he can continue to draw fouls

should be interesting. if anything, NY has been an entertaining saga all season. now with melo and amar'e coming back, we'll have to see how it all fits in and meshes
Old 02-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #8
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
How is he Nash? He's mainly a scorer and gets a ton of turnovers. What's he done that makes him look like the guy to lead the league in assists?

'CAN be'. nash was a bit of a late bloomer when it came to passing and breaking down defenses. cuban said he only let nash go because he thought his back problems were going to be a debilitating, chronic issue. he thought it would bring him down or he couldn't play through it. he was wrong there, but these are projections that have to be made. obviously, coach nick is basically talking about lin's ceiling

it's hard to compare lin to anybody. i tend to think he's a combo PG/SG, heavier on the PG side. he's not a pure point but he doesn't throw up too many dumb shots. all a small sample and we need to see much more

Last edited by blacknapalm : 02-14-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #9
DMV2
Banned

Quote:
He's not really scorer, only doing it because nobody else on the Knicks can (during these games). In all the starts so far he's actually looking to get his teammates going first, that's why he has 6 or 7 of his assists in the 1st half then only gets like 1 or 2 assists in the 2nd half because by then he starts seeing what the defense gives him.

And as far as scoring goes, he is mostly shooting when he sees the opportunity (mainly around the rim). He's forced shots once in awhile but not enough to where he's a chucker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micku
I probably need to see more of him, but his mid-range game seems solid. Granted, teams gave him some shots at times, but I'm guessing it's more like they don't know what he could do and where his hotspots are yet.

His 3pt shot needs work.
He has a good stroke, shooting form. It's just not going in. And like you said, a lot of his jumpers aren't even contested because teams aren't respecting his midrange.

On a side note, I haven't seen him take a jump shot right after the PnR or screens yet. If he starts doing that and hitting them. WATCH OUT!!!
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:33 AM   #10
JtotheIzzo
NBA Superstar

not black
coached by D'Antoni
lightly regarded out of HS
runs a nice pick and roll

The similarities end there. Nash was a high 1st rd. pick, stuck with a team that had two HoF PGs on it, and was never sent to a minor league.

Nash has one of the best jumpshots ever
Lin's is shaky
Lin is amazingly quick
Nash, not so much
Lin has been a volume shooter in his run
Nash seems to only score a lot of points in the playoffs when the defense suffocates teammates

Because Lin can run the pick and roll, and because he can get to the hoop means he will likely have a nice little NBA career. He will not have a Steve Nashesque career however, that is not in the cards.

Now that he is THE MAN in NYC, lets see how he adjusts to teams taking away the middle. Yeah he lit up the Lakers, but they went OT the night before in Boston and have the worst defensive PG in the league.

The more similar case to be made is Ramon Sessions. Check out his 08-09 game logs and tell me it isn't Linesque.

Sorry to use the suffix 'esqe' twice in one post.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 AM   #11
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
not black
coached by D'Antoni
lightly regarded out of HS
runs a nice pick and roll

The similarities end there. Nash was a high 1st rd. pick, stuck with a team that had two HoF PGs on it, and was never sent to a minor league.

Nash has one of the best jumpshots ever
Lin's is shaky
Lin is amazingly quick
Nash, not so much
Lin has been a volume shooter in his run
Nash seems to only score a lot of points in the playoffs when the defense suffocates teammates

Because Lin can run the pick and roll, and because he can get to the hoop means he will likely have a nice little NBA career. He will not have a Steve Nashesque career however, that is not in the cards.

Now that he is THE MAN in NYC, lets see how he adjusts to teams taking away the middle. Yeah he lit up the Lakers, but they went OT the night before in Boston and have the worst defensive PG in the league.

The more similar case to be made is Ramon Sessions. Check out his 08-09 game logs and tell me it isn't Linesque.

Sorry to use the suffix 'esqe' twice in one post.

sessions' jumper is way more iffy. he looks to pass first. i'm a fan of sessions though, don't get me wrong. i'm not sure lin has the court vision and passing ability of sessions. ramon usually makes plays in the flow of the game and he can just change games with his passing alone

good post. let's combine our observations and just call him a cross of mike conley/ramon sessions with upside
Old 02-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #12
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

If Lin wasn't scoring the way he's been scoring the 5 game run he's been on would actually be bad. A pg goes out there and gets 7 assists and 6 turnovers with 14 points and we're not praising him. Do that with 38 though and it's clearly a different story. The scoring is what has made him special. The idea that he can cut out that aspect of his game and still be a stand out is silly. What's the big record that people keep citing? It's not for assists, it's that he has the most points through his first 4 starts in NBA history. But you guys think that it's no big deal to stop that and that he can just be a pure pass-first pg...why?

Plus, like Izzo pointed out, his shooting is nowhere near Nash-level.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
nathanjizzle
#Trump4Treason

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Coach Nick breaks down the latest sensation in the Big Apple - LINSANITY, as Jeremy Lin has led a resurgence with the Knicks. Will Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire be able to blend back in and keep the team winning? Will the rest of the league figure Lin out and shut him down?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIbz2...HLxBaw8sZw7SkA

hi coach nick.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:11 AM   #14
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T

Quote:
If Lin wasn't scoring the way he's been scoring the 5 game run he's been on would actually be bad. A pg goes out there and gets 7 assists and 6 turnovers with 14 points and we're not praising him. Do that with 38 though and it's clearly a different story. The scoring is what has made him special. The idea that he can cut out that aspect of his game and still be a stand out is silly. What's the big record that people keep citing? It's not for assists, it's that he has the most points through his first 4 starts in NBA history. But you guys think that it's no big deal to stop that and that he can just be a pure pass-first pg...why?

dude he's playing with scrubs out there
inclinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #15
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:

he never talked about scoring. he's talking about style of play and of course melo and stoudemire coming back. no one is suggesting he's going to average 25+ pts and finish in the top 5 scoring. c'mon. sure, if he wasn't scoring, he'd be less of an impact. compare his first half TO's to his second half TO's. his TO's are mostly due to fatigue at the moment. secondly, he has much more upside on the defensive end than nash. nash's TO's aren't something to write home about either but his ast:to ratio makes up for it

again, nash is his ceiling. quit going crazy and acting like he is nash now.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: