Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #31
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets
 
magic chiongson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South
Posts: 4,072
Default Re: The Official: Building Your Own PC/Laptop

yeah that would make more sense. my 2500k could get to 4.5ghz at minimal voltage increase, it wouldn't go past 70 degrees celcius) on load tests..air cooled with a prolimatech megahalems.

the big ass noctua, thermalright, prolimatech air coolers out there are the best.

if you want a relatively cheap but high performance/low noise temporary air-cooler, i would recommend this one:

http://www.amazon.com/ThermalRight-H...malright+macho

this is prolly the best noctua out there:

http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-D14-...ords=noctua+14

personally i'm using this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Prolimatech-Co...ech+megashadow


have you thought of which cpu to buy? i'd recommend the i5 3570k...the i7 i7 3770k which is over $100 more isn't that much faster than this i5
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #32
bluechox2
#knickstape
 
bluechox2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 10,050
Default Re: The Official: Building Your Own PC/Laptop

op thinks ordering a customized pc already built is the same as "building your own computer"

hence why he think laptops can be built, what he actually meant was getting it ordered with parts to you liking
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #33
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star
 
IGOTGAME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 9,695
Default Re: The Official: Building Your Own PC/Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechox2
op thinks ordering a customized pc already built is the same as "building your own computer"

hence why he think laptops can be built, what he actually meant was getting it ordered with parts to you liking

why not just wait and cop dat 13 inch macbook pro wit retina display.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #34
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up
 
Bucket_Nakedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 2,746
Default Re: The Official: Building Your Own PC/Laptop

guru, what are the main differences between i7 3770k and the i5 3570k. the i5 seems like a better value, but will the i7 be better oc cpu?
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:35 PM   #35
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets
 
magic chiongson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South
Posts: 4,072
Default Re: The Official: Building Your Own PC/Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz
guru, what are the main differences between i7 3770k and the i5 3570k. the i5 seems like a better value, but will the i7 be better oc cpu?

i haven't tried both, but it should be the same with the i5 2500k and i7 2600k. the i7 has hyperthreading, a 100mhz bump in speed, and a better built-in graphics (which you wont be using anyway). hyperthreading doesnt really scale well when you already have at least 4 cores, and 100mhz isnt much. overclocking should be more or less the same.

oh and back to watercooling, i almost forgot about these

http://www.amazon.com/Raystorm-RS240...rds=xspc+rs240

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Trip...rds=xspc+rs360
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:41 AM   #36
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up
 
Bucket_Nakedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 2,746
Default Re: The Official: Building Your Own PC/Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic chiongson
i haven't tried both, but it should be the same with the i5 2500k and i7 2600k. the i7 has hyperthreading, a 100mhz bump in speed, and a better built-in graphics (which you wont be using anyway). hyperthreading doesnt really scale well when you already have at least 4 cores, and 100mhz isnt much. overclocking should be more or less the same.

oh and back to watercooling, i almost forgot about these

http://www.amazon.com/Raystorm-RS240...rds=xspc+rs240

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Trip...rds=xspc+rs360
ive seen those kits. they're cool, but i can't use those reservoirs because i need all my bays for my fan controller and led controller.

anyway, speaking of fan controller. im gonna be putting about 14 fans total in this case (10 i have to buy). im going with the 140mm fans, i know im going to need splitters. do you know what kind of splitters would i need?
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #37
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets
 
magic chiongson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South
Posts: 4,072
Default Re: The Official: Building Your Own PC/Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz
ive seen those kits. they're cool, but i can't use those reservoirs because i need all my bays for my fan controller and led controller.

anyway, speaking of fan controller. im gonna be putting about 14 fans total in this case (10 i have to buy). im going with the 140mm fans, i know im going to need splitters. do you know what kind of splitters would i need?

you're going to need something like a multiple male 3-pin - single female 3-pin connector (sounds like a gangbang porn scene). it's usually included in most fan controllers..usually you can connect 2-3 fans for every single channel in the fan controller.

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-CAB650...splitter+3-pin

that one will only work for 3-pin fans..but i guess thats all that matters you woludnt need to connect a 4-pin pwm fan to a fan controller anyway
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #38
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up
 
Bucket_Nakedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 2,746
Default Re: The Official: Building Your Own PC/Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic chiongson
you're going to need something like a multiple male 3-pin - single female 3-pin connector (sounds like a gangbang porn scene). it's usually included in most fan controllers..usually you can connect 2-3 fans for every single channel in the fan controller.

http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SY-CAB650...splitter+3-pin

that one will only work for 3-pin fans..but i guess thats all that matters you woludnt need to connect a 4-pin pwm fan to a fan controller anyway

i think im going to be ok, tho. i didn't realize, but my case has like a fan hub adapter on the other side panel, that can connect up to 7 fans which is fukking awesome.

anyway, i ordered all my shiet, and everything came out to almost $2,500 lol. my boy who is a pc gamer, just recently built him a nice rig kept telling me to go big or go home lol.

i will post pics when everything is here, i already have the first shiet that i ordered in my room (case, power supply, motherboard, ram, dvd burner).

got me the i7-3770k for my cpu and the evga superclocked gtx 680+ gpu. i didn't have enough for the watercooling build (which is going to run me about $600), but i got me that cooler master evo fan to carry me over until i get my watercooling shiet which will probably be my christmas present to myself.
Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #39
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up
 
Bucket_Nakedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 2,746
Default Re: The Official: Building Your Own PC/Laptop

so it begins...

Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:19 AM   #40
jaydacris
Rose
 
jaydacris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Knicks101
Posts: 19,373
Default Re: The Official: Building Your Own PC/Laptop

good luck man, build looks sweet.
nice parts you bought!

it even trumps mine, but we're close

i got i7-2700k
p8z68-deluxe
16gb gskill
sapphire 7970
samsung 830 ssd 256gb (os/games)
wd 2tb black (storage)
corsair ax850
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 04:06 PM   #41
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets
 
magic chiongson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South
Posts: 4,072
Default Re: The Official: Building Your Own PC/Laptop

looking good!

i bought some stuff myself..i blame BN for this, wasn't supposed to buy anything new until black friday



going small..living room htpc/mini-gaming pc
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #42
Bucket_Nakedz
Buckle up
 
Bucket_Nakedz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Anchorage, AK
Posts: 2,746
Default Re: The Official: Building Your Own PC/Laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic chiongson
looking good!

i bought some stuff myself..i blame BN for this, wasn't supposed to buy anything new until black friday



going small..living room htpc/mini-gaming pc
haha... good shiet doe. can't wait to see dat beast! anyway, just got done building this fukker last night. took me a total of 10 hours in 5 days, but i took my time. updating my drivers and shiet. gonna give it some time before i prime95. heres some pics...









Bucket_Nakedz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #43
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets
 
magic chiongson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South
Posts: 4,072
Default Re: The Official: Building Your Own PC/Laptop

your pics...are too huge bro
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:48 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy