Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-15-2012, 07:23 PM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default The ACC crowd was disgraceful last night...

...ok I admit I didn't even catch the game, only the highlights. And of course I didn't even want us to win the game, for draft positioning reasons. But I watched back the 4th quarter today on LP broadband, and they were so pro-Lin and pro-Knicks it was ridiculous. Trust me when I say I like Lin as much as the next guy, because it's always nice to root for the underdog. But I don't remember another time when i've seen so many people in that building out of their seats cheering for an opposing player hitting a game winner in your building. To me that's almost like when the Knicks sucked and their fans were chanting M-V-P for Lebron, Kobe, Wade, any great player that stepped into their building. On the flip side, I suppose that's what happens when your team sucks for an extended amount of time and a guy everyone in the league is talking about steps foot in there. Oh well.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
brwnman

brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: The ACC crowd was disgraceful last night...

They weren't that much pro-knicks, they were pro-lin. Which is fine. They weren't cheering for the knicks, they were cheering for lin...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I get that part of it. However... I feel like as a fan if you go to your teams game, you can certainly be a fan of another player, no problem. But not when it's winning time.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

It happens when your team sucks and the fans have nothing to cheer for.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:12 PM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

^^yeah, i said that in my OP. But anyways, it's just a personal opinion. In any given situation, even though I want my team to lose (for a specific reason) I don't want the other team to win.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I watched Sportsnation today and Colin Cowherd was saying how it was "Asian Heritage Night" or something, and that there were a TON of Asians in the crowd. He also said that the baselines were filled with people cheering for Lin (which is what we saw in the camera angle) and the sidelines were the people in Raptors jerseys.

I didn't see the game either, and I'm not sure if he's right, I'm just saying, may not have been AS bad as it seems.

But I do agree to an extent, the kind of ovation he and the Knicks received was pretty embarassing, regardless of the reasons.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:20 AM   #7
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

In the NFL you get beat the **** up if you wear another team's jersey in their arena.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
bokes15
Playoffs!

I guess those are some factors too. But if you watched the last play (not the replay, but in actual real time)... The crowd stood to their feet, cheering when Lin got the ball in his hands tied at 87-87 and running down the clock. And you can tell the difference between when they are cheering for you to get a lockdown defensive stop, or cheering for you to score the game winner. And if there was any doubt of which was which, it was made crystal clear by the reaction after he made the shot. For me it's like when MJ came to Toronto years back and played and we beat the Bulls in their 72-10 year. MJ was by far my favorite player, and I wanted him to score every time he got the ball in his hands. But the end of the day, i'm a Raptors fan and I was excited that he missed the last shot and I would've been disappointed had he made it.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 AM   #9
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

The ACC was just caught up with the linsanity hype

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prBWdT90-N4

^^Just like how the LA crowd was caught up with vinsanity back then.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:41 AM   #10
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

i think most of the people cheering were actually asians. i doubt these people are die hard bball fans. they see an asian kid doing amazing things and so are dishing out big bucks to buy near court seats.

saying that, everyone is cheering for linsanity now. they aren't cheering for the knicks but for Lin. the guy is just fascinating to watch and what he is doing should be cheered by all crowds in all courts.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #11
HeavyMetal
I airball my layups

HeavyMetal has an OK reputation so far

Personally I think it's great that people cheer for the guy, especially since the product that the NBA is putting out right now is the lowest it's been in years. With only 3 or 4 teams that are actually worth watching on a nightly basis, I'm all for cheering for Lin. Brings a lot of new fans into the sport and brings back a lot of old fans because of the lockout. Raps suck this year, no doubt, but who doesn't love a true underdog story?
HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #12
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

No matter how you slice it, I was embarrassed as f*ck to be a Toronto sports fan seeing the entire stadium erupt when Lin hit that shot. There aren't exactly a ton of white Canadian point guards in the NBA either, and yet while I admire the way Nash plays, and root for his stats against us every time we play him, I damn sure don't cheer for him to hit game winning shots against us. And that's as a member of tank nation.

Lin is a great story and I do hope he continues the ridiculous streak he's been on (I also hope he learns to dribble left and play some D), but the city's reaction to the guy has been ridiculous.
DJMason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #13
skan72
Deep dick pizza

skan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterskan72 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
...ok I admit I didn't even catch the game, only the highlights. And of course I didn't even want us to win the game, for draft positioning reasons. But I watched back the 4th quarter today on LP broadband, and they were so pro-Lin and pro-Knicks it was ridiculous. Trust me when I say I like Lin as much as the next guy, because it's always nice to root for the underdog. But I don't remember another time when i've seen so many people in that building out of their seats cheering for an opposing player hitting a game winner in your building. To me that's almost like when the Knicks sucked and their fans were chanting M-V-P for Lebron, Kobe, Wade, any great player that stepped into their building. On the flip side, I suppose that's what happens when your team sucks for an extended amount of time and a guy everyone in the league is talking about steps foot in there. Oh well.

Did you not ever watch when Bird was playing and he would go off in the Garden? I think cheering for a player with Lin's story is fine, and if someone is having an absolutely historical night, maybe that's fine, too. I don't think they were cheering for the Knicks, though.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
bada bing
College star

bada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected posterbada bing is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
No matter how you slice it, I was embarrassed as f*ck to be a Toronto sports fan seeing the entire stadium erupt when Lin hit that shot. There aren't exactly a ton of white Canadian point guards in the NBA either, and yet while I admire the way Nash plays, and root for his stats against us every time we play him, I damn sure don't cheer for him to hit game winning shots against us. And that's as a member of tank nation.

Lin is a great story and I do hope he continues the ridiculous streak he's been on (I also hope he learns to dribble left and play some D), but the city's reaction to the guy has been ridiculous.

the fact of the matter is that the Raptors suck ball. The fans need something to cheer for. Its not like this was a playoff contention game where wins matter for us. I think people here are making a little more out of this situation. This guy is a sports sensation in North America right now. What he is doing is just beyond remarkable and is a great success story. This is his time and the average person can relate to this guy so we all cheer for him.

Let the fans and the ACC have some enthusiasm. This won't hold for a long time but lets just enjoy it for now. Nothing wrong for cheering for a player. No one was cheering for the knicks. Fans cheer for kobe all the time. i use to cheer for lebron when he was with teh cavs but at teh same time i wanted my team to win. it doesn't mean i am a trader.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #15
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Zan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation hereZan Tabak has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beebo
It happens when your team sucks and the fans have nothing to cheer for.
This...a lot of people were there to see Lin.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: