Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #31
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation herepauk has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Dunk contest participants announced

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirTupac
BREAKING NEWS

LeBron sees list
Enters Dunk Contest

pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #32
Bob Cousy
Banned

Bob Cousy is considered somewhat coolBob Cousy is considered somewhat cool

The last guy on the list from HOU ... I can't even remember his name right now as I type. Ok, Chase Budinger, got it.

He's not even the best leaper on HOU, what about Chandler Parsons or Terrence Williams ?
Bob Cousy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:18 AM   #33
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Meticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMeticode is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Wow...I'm so unimpressed.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #34
chairman
The Return

chairman has decent reputationchairman has decent reputation

lebron is too scared to join the dunk contest
chairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:22 AM   #35
Harrison_Barnes
Local High School Star

Harrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterHarrison_Barnes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Wow thats pathetic
Harrison_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #36
jamal99
Valar Morghulis

jamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation herejamal99 has an incredible reputation here

I actually expect this to be good contest, but that new format is seriously ****ed up...
jamal99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:29 AM   #37
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm just not understanding why the NBA has always, always felt a need to change the format of the dunk contest virtually every single year. The first big, random change I recall was turning each player's round into a 90-second routine, like figure skating, leading to tired players and rushed dunks (Rider '95: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvyttJXWLaw). Then there was the dreaded wheel in '02 which led to Steve Francis being required to complete a Stansbury, one-foot Statue of Liberty 360. This coincided with the reduction of possible contestants from 6 to 4 (despite more players wanting entry). This then led to the infusion of props leading to the current baffling decision to remove real judges and have just one round. Unbelievable.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #38
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

Yall are all wrong, this will be one of the best contests in years. No BS props, no predetermined winner, no agenda.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #39
shallehalle
High School Varsity 12th Man

shallehalle has decent reputationshallehalle has decent reputation

NBA dunk contest needs more PARTICIPANTS
shallehalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #40
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
Yall are all wrong, this will be one of the best contests in years. No BS props, no predetermined winner, no agenda.

Iman Shumpert.

Anyway, I remember seeing Chase Budinger in a high school dunk contest. He didn't do anything spectacular. Won the contest with a run of the mill windmill dunk. Then again, his competition wasn't doing much worth gloating about anyway.

I have doubts that this dunk contest will be noteworthy but I'll still watch it.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:39 AM   #41
mattvNJ
Local High School Star

mattvNJ has decent reputationmattvNJ has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallehalle
Yah i know this is bs... i wish there was at least 10 competitors.
mattvNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #42
BarberSchool
93 MJ Uber Alles

BarberSchool has not been impressing people

That list is disappointing. We know Budinger can rise, but what can he do once he's up there ? Every year without LeBron, Griffin, McGee, Howard is a wasted year until 2016.

How about an extra round and 8 contestants ?
BarberSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #43
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallehalle
Correct. I'm probably nearing the level of conspiracy theorist with the number of times I've repeated this but:

2000 Dunk Contest
6 Competitors
Real Judges
3 First round dunks per dunker (18 total dunks)
3 Finalists
2 Dunks per finalist (6 dunks in finals)
24 Total dunks

2011 Dunk Contest
4 Competitors
2 First round dunks per dunker (8 total dunks)
2 Finalists
2 Dunks per finalist (4 dunks in finals)
Fan Voted Winner
12 Total dunks

We're getting half the total number of dunks we were seeing just 10 years ago. And here's where I might be in the minority, but even on slams as un-revolutionary as Jerry Stackhouse's 360 in 2000, I enjoy seeing the style each dunker brings to the table. It's not always about every dunker doing something brand new, it's about style, attitude, elevation, sincerity, all of that.

What do we remember about the 2000 contest? Vince Carter, of course. Others will also say they remember Steve Francis and Tracy McGrady. On top of those guys though, Ricky Davis also had quite the performance himself, finishing with a bounce alley-oop reverse between-the-legs dunk. With Vince's appearance, the 2000 contest would always be legendary. But imagine how lame it would have been if there were only four contestants and they were Vince Carter, Larry Hughes, Jerry Stackhouse, and Antawn Jamison (which would have been impossible since Hughes replaced Jamison, but for the sake of making a point ...)? You know what has a high probability of occurring when the NBA limits its competitors to four and lowers the number of dunks? 2010. 2010 has a chance of occurring. To refresh your memories: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA-suKCcTbA

Last edited by Rake2204 : 02-16-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #44
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

All the props and gimmicks guys started using doesn't help either. Not just because it's cheesy and cheap, that's subjective, but they go through all the buildup of setting it up and hyping it and then when the guy misses (and misses...and misses) it just kills the flow of it.

Imagine if Griffin had missed the Kia dunk last year, that's catastrophe, which is why he just jumped over the front.

The 100% fan vote is a completely idiotic move. If Lin weren't involved, then cool, they're all young guys that don't have huge followings. But he is. Oh well, at least George'll get some exposure.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #45
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

I still definitely disagree with the fan voting. I'll have to look closer into that.

The good news though, as I let things resonate a little, is three first round dunks coming from each player still brings about 12 total dunks, the same as last year. The format is still very, very broken, but at least they're not further limiting the number of finishes. Further, I'm thinking this rule may have been implemented to prevent the "robbing" of players from going to the finals. This way, everyone has a chance to delve into their repertoire. Then again, if the number of competitors was bumped back up to six, with 3 first round dunks ... dunkers would have a chance to delve in that regard too ...

Edit: I just read further about the fan voting (coming via Twitter, Text, and Online). It makes me vomit a little. Surely, the real judges used to make mistakes too (see: Jones, Fred - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2yfZ7yZ-XY) but at least we could safely assume judges would be judging player's dunks. With fans, I'm sort of hopeful Shumpert wins by default despite performing poorly simply by Lin association, so the ignorance in placing such a vote in the hands of the public is clearly realized.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 02-16-2012 at 11:58 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: