Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-26-2012, 03:09 AM   #976
DRose1899
Banned

DRose1899 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: All-Star 2012: NBA Slam Dunk Contest discussion thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
The more I think about it the more I'm pissed about how poorly executed the Paul George glow in the dark dunk was. Get everything right, full fluorescence and everything, and it's SICK. Was probably outstanding when he practiced it, then he got in a full arena with light everywhere.

Tell me that's not sick.
oh yeah, no matter how lame this contest are, Paul George got robbed.
DRose1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #977
donald_trump
im a superhero

donald_trump is starting to rub some people the wrong way

some serious hate in here.
what more can the guys do? there was a lot of good dunks here that just go unappreciated.

derrick williams had a nice windmill over a bike. then a 360 off the side of the board. what exactly sucked about that?
budinger jumped over p-diddy. what is crappy about that?
then you have a guy dunking two balls off an alley oop, and on top of that a karl malone pose while jumper over someone?
then paul george, with a sick dunk every round. jumping over a 7 footer... what more do people really want?
donald_trump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:10 AM   #978
eazyduzzit10
I brick open layups

eazyduzzit10 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by donald_trump
some serious hate in here.
what more can the guys do? there was a lot of good dunks here that just go unappreciated.

derrick williams had a nice windmill over a bike. then a 360 off the side of the board. what exactly sucked about that?
budinger jumped over p-diddy. what is crappy about that?
then you have a guy dunking two balls off an alley oop, and on top of that a karl malone pose while jumper over someone?
then paul george, with a sick dunk every round. jumping over a 7 footer... what more do people really want?

There were actually some really nice dunks in here. But I think all the misses really took the excitement away from the dunk once it was completed and Derrick Williams' blunder really ended the contest on a bad note
eazyduzzit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:37 AM   #979
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Watching the recap I felt this year's contest was really great. Some awesome dunks, especially by George. Although I think darkness thing took away from it... He rather had stickers along his arms and legs, or be in a full glowing suit. That would really be something. Now, people just didn't see how awesome that windmill was. I really dig Williams 360 off of the side of the board... And Budinger showed he can really fly. A successful contest, to me.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #980
Alamo
Banned

Alamo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNIOKAS
Watching the recap I felt this year's contest was really great. Some awesome dunks, especially by George. Although I think darkness thing took away from it... He rather had stickers along his arms and legs, or be in a full glowing suit. That would really be something. Now, people just didn't see how awesome that windmill was. I really dig Williams 360 off of the side of the board... And Budinger showed he can really fly. A successful contest, to me.

Yeah the dunks were awesome. And it was cool how we got to see everyone's dunks without elimination rounds. But they should really go back to having judges though.

The Tron dunk is still my favorite
Alamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:09 AM   #981
DRose1899
Banned

DRose1899 has an OK reputation so far

Well after calm down a bit n watching the highlight, I can see from where people can see the contest was nice if only watching recap video or just look to the product (successful dunk).. the final product indeed look good.

Can't believe how painful watching it live though...

The main problem is the execution and planning, just you imagine in 1st round, there's 2 dunk over people in the row! they even using their hand to elevate more thus making it less exciting, n after that the next dunk come up was that suckass Jeremy Evans dunk
When you thought its can't getting more sucks, Williams just doing pedestrian windmill over motorcycle (its not that bad when you thought about it, but with that gloomy mood that dunk looked so similar with 2 first dunk)

And so many miss... almost all of dunk not success at 1st attempt, most of them even need multiple attempt, its just fecking lame at live condition.

And some of dunk can have better execution, Paul George's 2nd dunk can be GOAT candidate if the execution is better, they should have glowing ball as well n doing better job at clearing the light, and 1st round should not have too many similar dunk.

That's my thought after calm down, this contest looked better in highlight, but absolute trash in live watch, but also have so many wasted potential when you think about it.
DRose1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:46 AM   #982
Zackmorris
Where my announcement!

Zackmorris is popular on this boardZackmorris is popular on this boardZackmorris is popular on this boardZackmorris is popular on this boardZackmorris is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faptastrophe

Kevin Hart assists Jeremy Evans` Karl Malone mailman tribute dunk.

Actually would've been better if Kevin Hart wasn't there.
Zackmorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #983
Fiasco
latsis4everô

Fiasco has an incredible reputation hereFiasco has an incredible reputation hereFiasco has an incredible reputation hereFiasco has an incredible reputation hereFiasco has an incredible reputation hereFiasco has an incredible reputation hereFiasco has an incredible reputation here

Blake Griffin's missed dunks were more exciting than the entire thing this year.
Fiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #984
mrpibb
101% Dr. Pepper

mrpibb is a pretty well-respected postermrpibb is a pretty well-respected postermrpibb is a pretty well-respected postermrpibb is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackmorris
Actually would've been better if Kevin Hart wasn't there.

That's what I've been saying, though not exactly in those words. It was a sick dunk.
mrpibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:26 AM   #985
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

Paul George should have won
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #986
Poormansmailman
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Poormansmailman has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faptastrophe

Kevin Hart assists Jeremy Evans` Karl Malone mailman tribute dunk.

[/url]

Don't know if anyone has posted this yet.. But if Evans would have brought Stockton/somebody in a Stockton jersey and added a little pick and roll imitation to this dunk, it would have been the coolest dunk ever.
Poormansmailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #987
swi7ch
Banned

swi7ch has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockets(T-mac)
what a waste of a saturday night.

this is true

so many other things i could have done isntead of watching the crappy all-star event all night
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #988
trig
Decent college freshman

trig has decent reputationtrig has decent reputation

Paul George shouldve used a glow in the dark ball and also put some glow in the dark tape on the rim. Still awesome though
trig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #989
Glide2keva
NBA sixth man of the year

Glide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation hereGlide2keva has an incredible reputation here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzTNc4kPQ-4

/thread
Glide2keva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #990
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRose1899
Well after calm down a bit n watching the highlight, I can see from where people can see the contest was nice if only watching recap video or just look to the product (successful dunk).. the final product indeed look good.

Can't believe how painful watching it live though...

The main problem is the execution and planning, just you imagine in 1st round, there's 2 dunk over people in the row! they even using their hand to elevate more thus making it less exciting, n after that the next dunk come up was that suckass Jeremy Evans dunk
When you thought its can't getting more sucks, Williams just doing pedestrian windmill over motorcycle (its not that bad when you thought about it, but with that gloomy mood that dunk looked so similar with 2 first dunk)

And so many miss... almost all of dunk not success at 1st attempt, most of them even need multiple attempt, its just fecking lame at live condition.

And some of dunk can have better execution, Paul George's 2nd dunk can be GOAT candidate if the execution is better, they should have glowing ball as well n doing better job at clearing the light, and 1st round should not have too many similar dunk.

That's my thought after calm down, this contest looked better in highlight, but absolute trash in live watch, but also have so many wasted potential when you think about it.
That's pretty much it. Some of the highlights won't look too shabby, but watching this thing unfold first hand was atrocious.

I'm definitely a nit-picker of dunks, but not enough so where I'm never satisfied. For instance, outside of Griffin's car dunk, I enjoyed last year's contest. However, it seemed nearly every single dunk this year had some sort of issue.

For starters, there's got to be some real tinkering done on the "leap frog" dunks. The two performed by Paul George and Chase Budinger were clearly boosted to variable extents. And yes, George seemed to make very solid hand-shoulder contact while Budinger's was slight. However, to attain a jump boost, a slight push-off is all that's needed. I've seen folks making denials about these boosts and what they provide over the years. If contact is made just right, even the slightest interaction between hand/foot and body will apply a significant boost or a split second of extra needed air time. I'm fine with this during actual games, but when someone's looking for approval of their dunk exploits during a dunking contest, it cheapens whatever they're trying to accomplish.

I personally don't buy into Chase being unable to see on that second blindfolded dunk attempt. I don't buy it one bit. The re-application of the blindfold after his first miss (which looked more legitimately blind) left a lot of daylight there. To be honest, all a player would really need in that situation would be sight of the floor for reference.

The Paul George dunk was a nice, lesser re-creation of Vince Carter's finish twelve years ago. However, it was in the dark and as Lebowski said, he didn't even light up the right things. It was honestly tough to see. Even the pictures don't really provide as much zeal as one would expect on a "glow-ball" dunk.

Jeremy Evans' first dunk was a complete mess and I feel it's not even worth addressing. His second dunk was legitimate. My only wish is he would have finished on the first go-around. And as I said somewhere last night, I really didn't care for the extent with which he hung on the rim. He's got to let go before the rim absorbs and destroys all the dunk's energy. The post-dunk hang cheapened the slam itself. Evans' third dunk was ruined by the prop. Jumping over a 5'2'' "mailman" who supposedly just went full retard is not a good look in my book.

I actually think Chase Budinger's windmill looked pretty solid. It wasn't mind-bending, but it was a good straight forward dunk. Derrick Williams' probably was too, but the motorcycle was definitely a pointless distraction.

Williams' 2nd round dunk was quite impressive. I liked that slam and I definitely approve. My only wish, like the Evans flush, is that he would have finished it on the first attempt. And while it was a good dunk, I think he definitely left the door open for other players to come through and refine that slam with more personality and power in the future.

The most unfortunate issues with this dunk contest was how the dunks themselves seemed to become lost in the fold to all the horrible, horrible theatrics, props, staged events, lighting alterations, wardrobe changes, horrible acting, and embarrassing MCing.

Further, was it not in the latter stages of round 2 (if there was such a thing as "latter stages" of a particular round) when one of the commentators from TNT, referencing the contest itself said, "Now things are heating up." It was like, great, things are heating up and the contest is already pretty much done. Just when everyone gets into a groove, there's only one dunk remaining for each.

There was virtually no way this dunk contest could have succeeded with its given format. Jeremy Evans was voted as the winner with 29% of the vote? No one should have received that trophy. It should have been packaged up and sent to a third world country like a New England Patriots 2012 Super Bowl T-shirt.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 02-26-2012 at 10:19 AM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: