Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-16-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Minnesota Talking To Lakers...

It looks like Minnesota still wants Pau Gasol.

Quote:
In other news involving NBA big men, a source said Wednesday that Minnesota continues to pursue a possible trade for Lakers forward Pau Gasol, dangling rookie Derrick Williams, who is from the Los Angeles area, and draft choices. The only players considered untouchable by the Timberwolves, who are seeking to add a veteran by the trade deadline, are Kevin Love and Ricky Rubio. The Timberwolves believe it could be enticing for Gasol to play on the same team as fellow Spaniard Rubio. FoxSports

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_rumor...#ixzz1mZGfauW1

I think it's an interesting idea. When Williams has actually got PT he's been really good. I think he's going to have a solid career. He definitely looks like more of a SF though. With that said he can play some PF when needed to as well. I'm not sure why Minnesota still wants another big man though. They need a SG.... Love isn't getting traded and is going to take up the majority of the minutes at PF for them. Pekovic has been a really nice suprise at C for them too. Pau is more suited to play PF but he'd have to play C there. I'd be interested in seeing what draft picks they would offer. That could possibly make a move for Dwight easier. The Lakers already have a couple first round picks. If they got another one from Minnesota they could offer Bynum, a couple first rounders, whoever else, and LA would still have a first round pick this year. It would really help the team get younger, which is what we need right now. I'm not sure if I'm sold on the trade yet, but it is something that makes you think.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Minnesota Talking To Lakers...

I personally don't like the idea. Anyone unproven is a risk. We would lose a lot of talent this year. I don't know much about Derrick Williams. Minnesota is also playing well, how many draft choices do we get, and are they valuable draft choices?

It just seems too unfair to me. The lakers are still trying to win now, despite what the record shows. They are here to compete. Not rebuild.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

The Lakers are definitely rebuilding, there's no other way around it. It's obvious they're looking to get younger. This team isn't going to win a championship or even make it there. While this may not be the deal to go with, I disagree with the point that you make that they aren't rebuilding. The Lakers have the luxury of not being a terrible team while they do the rebuild.....

I too would be interested in what the picks would be. I think the Lakers do need to get some young talent though. They need to have a mixture of young & vets, rather than just a whole bunch of old like they have now. There would definitely have to be other players involved too. It's not like they could just trade picks & Williams for Pau straight up. Pau makes way too much money. I would think they would need to get a 3rd team involved. Heck, maybe it could bring in a PG too.... I think we can all agree for it to work for both sides there would have to be something more to it. Those parts are the pieces that we just haven't seen in the rumors yet. I wonder if somehow they could manage an Adelman for Brown swap in there too
Old 02-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
The Lakers are definitely rebuilding, there's no other way around it. It's obvious they're looking to get younger. This team isn't going to win a championship or even make it there. While this may not be the deal to go with, I disagree with the point that you make that they aren't rebuilding. The Lakers have the luxury of not being a terrible team while they do the rebuild.....

I too would be interested in what the picks would be. I think the Lakers do need to get some young talent though. They need to have a mixture of young & vets, rather than just a whole bunch of old like they have now. There would definitely have to be other players involved too. It's not like they could just trade picks & Williams for Pau straight up. Pau makes way too much money. I would think they would need to get a 3rd team involved. Heck, maybe it could bring in a PG too.... I think we can all agree for it to work for both sides there would have to be something more to it. Those parts are the pieces that we just haven't seen in the rumors yet. I wonder if somehow they could manage an Adelman for Brown swap in there too

Easy there sir.

This is being initiated by the wolves. We have yet to see if the lakers will even look at this. Give them a chance first before thinking they're rebuilding.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
talkingconch
College superstar

talkingconch is considered somewhat cooltalkingconch is considered somewhat cool

Lakers are out of championship contention if this trade goes down for this season. Unless we flip Bynum for Howard I don't see this trade being a ''WIN-NOW'' thing. Kobe won't be around for THAT long so I'm not sure whats the deal. Now if Kevin Love was mentioned I'd be stoked.
talkingconch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:44 PM   #6
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Easy there sir.

This is being initiated by the wolves. We have yet to see if the lakers will even look at this. Give them a chance first before thinking they're rebuilding.

When the Lakers almost traded Pau & Lamar for Chris Paul it was obvious they wanted to blow things up and rebuild. Even if they landed CP3 this wasn't a contender. From there they gave Lamar away for a draft pick... and it's still rumored that Pau is going to be traded. This is rebuilding. All I'm doing is stating the obvious.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
When the Lakers almost traded Pau & Lamar for Chris Paul it was obvious they wanted to blow things up and rebuild. Even if they landed CP3 this wasn't a contender. From there they gave Lamar away for a draft pick... and it's still rumored that Pau is going to be traded. This is rebuilding. All I'm doing is stating the obvious.

We got a TE from Odom so lets hold off on saying all we got was a pick for Odom until we see what and if that TE becomes anything.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #8
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
We got a TE from Odom so lets hold off on saying all we got was a pick for Odom until we see what and if that TE becomes anything.

Ok, but it's still rebuilding
Old 02-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
I personally don't like the idea. Anyone unproven is a risk. We would lose a lot of talent this year. I don't know much about Derrick Williams. Minnesota is also playing well, how many draft choices do we get, and are they valuable draft choices?

It just seems too unfair to me. The lakers are still trying to win now, despite what the record shows. They are here to compete. Not rebuild.

I couldn't agree with you more on this
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:

Yes, thats what I thought as well. Im the one that started that thought process but now that they didnt, I feel they're going to try to win, until the simply cant anymore (i.e. trade, injuries, etc).

Besides, was CP3 going to want to be traded from a rebuilding team to another rebuilding team? Lakers were wanting to get Dwight after that.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #11
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

ihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableihatetimthomas is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Ok, but it's still rebuilding

Rebuilding in the sense that they are trying to tinker to improve the team from its current personnel. Most of the time, rebuilding is used as a term to describe teams that are starting from scratch and rebuilding the team. this Lakers team is trying to re structure the team to remain competitive.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #12
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Besides, was CP3 going to want to be traded from a rebuilding team to another rebuilding team? Lakers were wanting to get Dwight after that.

Absolutely, because like I said before.... the Lakers have the luxury of rebuilding good teams. It's not like they are a team that ends up in the lottery to rebuild. They do it through FA & trades for the most part. Other teams without the money LA has (and that don't have the glamour to attract top tier FA) need to do it through the draft, which is why they go into the dumps and then turn it around with young talent. It's all rebuilding nonetheless. It's not that I think the Lakers don't want to win. It's obvious this current lineup won't win any championships. Which is why we'll see Pau probably go, possibly Bynum, and I think for sure next season the Lakers will have a new starting PG. So with only Kobe left as a starter from last season and also minus Odom, I call that a complete rebuild. Really if you look at the whole bench that's pretty much been completely rebuilt too. Goudelock, Kapano, McRoberts, Morris, and Murphy are all new for this year. I can only imagine that's going to end up changing a bit too.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #13
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
Rebuilding in the sense that they are trying to tinker to improve the team from its current personnel. Most of the time, rebuilding is used as a term to describe teams that are starting from scratch and rebuilding the team. this Lakers team is trying to re structure the team to remain competitive.

Nah, I mean rebuilding as in there's going to be a ton of new players on this roster. See the above post (I think we were posting at about the same time, lol). Of course they'll remain competitive, it's the Lakers. But this roster will be completely different. I think the only core player that will remain will be Kobe.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Trading Kobe for draft picks and rookies is rebuilding

Trading Odom and Pau for Chris Paul is retooling

Trading Metta is relaxing

Trading Pau for Derrick Williams is repulsive
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #15
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

magicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected postermagicmanfan is a pretty well-respected poster

This trade to Minny makes no sense. Who would they send back?

Pau makes $18.7mil.

Their offer includes Williams who makes $4.6mil.

Who do they include to get close to Pau's salary?

How would the lakers bring in 5-6 new players?

Makes no sense...
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: