Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #1
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat cool
Default Bill Simmons' mailbag brings up a good point about Lin and LeBron

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/.../linsanity-bag

Quote:
Doesn't LeBron James have to be kicking himself watching Jeremy Lin light up Madison Square Garden? LeBron could be the man lighting up the Garden, and he would be legendary for revitalizing basketball in New York! If he was ever to question his "Decision," you'd think it would be on the night Lin put up 38 and drew "MVP!" chants against the Lakers.

Quote:
Isn't what's currently going on with Jeremy Lin in New York the ultimate example of why Lebron should have signed there? The kid had a few good games and now OWNS the biggest city in America. Imagine what Lebron could have done there ... I know it's beating a dead horse at this point, but what a cop out.

Quote:
Do you see how the Garden is electric with Jeremy Lin? He's a legend in NY in less than 2 weeks. That's what LeBron never realized. If he came to The NYK every single game would be like that. We as a city are so starved for basketball success that if he brought us a championship he would have been a Greek god in NYC just walking along with the mortals. I hate LeBron.

I never thought of it that way. NY Media is insane and Bron could have benefited from this hype cos the Knicks would have been instant contenders with him and Amare

Last edited by konex : 02-16-2012 at 03:19 PM.
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Bill Simmons' mailbag brings up a good point about Lin and LeBron

The way people view bron now wouldn't change if he were a NYK. bron was two wins from an Nba title. This season they are owning.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat cool

I think he'd be viewed more positively. The perception of Bron might be much better with the NY media defending him from haters
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
DMV2
NBA Stats Watcher

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This is going to be a big story line when the Heat comes to MSG next week.

Once again, Simmons is a step or two ahead of all sportswriters out there.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
swi7ch
Banned

swi7ch has not been impressing people

#1 sports writer today
swi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
Dengness9
Homecourt: Hell

Dengness9 is considered somewhat coolDengness9 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
The way people view bron now wouldn't change if he were a NYK. bron was two wins from an Nba title. This season they are owning.

I 100% disagree even though I see your point. At the very least, going to NY wouldn't of been going to somebody else's team like with Wade and Miami.

Going to NY would have still made Lebron the alpha dog instead of what he is now, a regular season Batman and a postseason or should I say finals Robin.
Dengness9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i was thinking this too watching the garden blow up. He used to feed off that positive energy in Cleveland. Miami is such an EH place to play. Nothing against them, they are playing awesome. But next time we play there, it will be at worst for us 50/50 crowd support. AT worst.

Lebron was like a giddy little kid at the garden, i think he would have really enjoyed it here. He'd be worshipped.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I call bullshit. As I said in one of these Melo threads earlier, people are much harder to impress when they already have high expectations. In NY the media would have expected a title, so anything less than a championship would have been viewed as a disaster.

I can almost guarantee that Bron's treatment by the fans/press of NY would be much closer to Melo than Lin.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
CLE[216]
C A V A L I E R S

CLE[216] has an OK reputation so far

Lin essentially came from nowhere though. LeBron has so much hype behind him that the criticism would be many times worse. I can only imagine the headlines, had LeBron went to NY and then choked in the Finals.
CLE[216] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
hitmanyr2k
Complete Player

hitmanyr2k is a pretty well-respected posterhitmanyr2k is a pretty well-respected posterhitmanyr2k is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
I call bullshit. As I said in one of these Melo threads earlier, people are much harder to impress when they already have high expectations. In NY the media would have expected a title, so anything less than a championship would have been viewed as a disaster.

I can almost guarantee that Bron's treatment by the fans/press of NY would be much closer to Melo than Lin.

No way. Knick fans are thrilled just to make the playoffs these days And Melo is getting the treatment he does simply because the Knicks are losing. Seriously, what are the odds of the Knicks being a sub .500 team with Lebron there?
hitmanyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
FireDavidKahn
Decent college freshman

FireDavidKahn is considered somewhat coolFireDavidKahn is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS

Lebron wouldn't have led the Knicks to 8-15 or whatever they were that Melo and Stat did.
FireDavidKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #12
dynasty1978
Local High School Star

dynasty1978 is considered somewhat cooldynasty1978 is considered somewhat cooldynasty1978 is considered somewhat cool

It's a double edge sword, win and you become the toast of NY, lose and expect to be booed regularly at home, ripped in the papers on an epic scale, etc.,.

See Eli Manning, Arod, Bobby Bonilla, Mark Sanchez

Knowing what we know about Lebron's fragile psyche, you really think he would take such a risk. Didn't think so.
dynasty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #13
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

chazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Not just the hype, but the numbers would be crazy too. We see it this year since Miami's running more, but Wade will get more possessions as the season goes on. In NY, he would be playing at a fast pace while playing a similar role to the one he had in Cleveland. Miami is the better option for titles though.
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
Poodle
Banned

Poodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputationPoodle has a very bad reputation

Miami-is-sort-of-a-dead-sports-city-with-NBA-at-least...even-when-they-won-a-championship-it-seemed-so-lowkey-with-alot-less-hype/fanfare....even-watching-Miami-games-in-general-seem-boring-most-of-the-time-in-their-arena-despite-having-a-3superstar-dream-team.

i-think-Lebron-would-have-been-worshipped-and-be-talked-about-in-the-same-vein-as-MJ/Shaq-dominant-if-he-were-playing-like-he-is-now-in-NY...right-now-tho-it-seems-only-Miami-watchers-see-how-dominating-he's-been-all-around,where-most-fans-just-assume-he's-just-typical-lebron-at-kobe-levels...but-he's-really-surpassed-everyone-this-year-on-another-lvl-much-like-MJ/Shaq-dominant...too-bad-most-people-don't-seem-to-know.

NY-media-magnifies-everything-good-and-bad,and-with-Lebron-they'd-have-to-be-one-of-the-most-watched-teams-so-most-people-would-know/see-how-dominant-his-game-is...and-in-D-Antoni's-system-especially-if-he-ran-PG-it'd-have-been-ridiculous.

only-downside-would-be-Lin-would-probably-have-never-been...
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:41 PM   #15
kuniva_dAMiGhTy
The First School

kuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodle
Miami-is-sort-of-a-dead-sports-city-with-NBA-at-least...even-when-they-won-a-championship-it-seemed-so-lowkey-with-alot-less-hype/fanfare....even-watching-Miami-games-in-general-seem-boring-most-of-the-time-in-their-arena-despite-having-a-3superstar-dream-team.

i-think-Lebron-would-have-been-worshipped-and-be-talked-about-in-the-same-vein-as-MJ/Shaq-dominant-if-he-were-playing-like-he-is-now-in-NY...right-now-tho-it-seems-only-Miami-watchers-see-how-dominating-he's-been-all-around,where-most-fans-just-assume-he's-just-typical-lebron-at-kobe-levels...but-he's-really-surpassed-everyone-this-year-on-another-lvl-much-like-MJ/Shaq-dominant...too-bad-most-people-don't-seem-to-know.

NY-media-magnifies-everything-good-and-bad,and-with-Lebron-they'd-have-to-be-one-of-the-most-watched-teams-so-most-people-would-know/see-how-dominant-his-game-is...and-in-D-Antoni's-system-especially-if-he-ran-PG-it'd-have-been-ridiculous.

only-downside-would-be-Lin-would-probably-have-never-been...

kuniva_dAMiGhTy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: